Protein Powders

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
I use protein powders in cooking! I use small amounts to up protein content of some of my meals.

I have 4 types in my pantry:

1. Organic Blend - a mix of pea, rice and coconut. It's vanilla flavor. I add it to sweet baked goods and pancakes, smoothies and yogurt.

2. Pea Protein - just pure unflavored pea protein. I add it to loafs, baked bites and nuggets. It's my go-to savory protein powder.

3. Soy Protein - it's finer and it makes food fluffier sometimes. In summer I add it to nice-cream blends. Sometimes I combine it with pea protein in savory dishes since it also has no flavor.

4. Hemp Protein - the one I use the least. It's green. It can only be used in green smoothies and green nice-creams.

The 4th place is usually in rotation. Right now it's hemp protein, before it was chocolate blend. All four are plant based.

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
My partner and I are on a mostly if not completely vegetarian diet so doing the math we lack some protein so we bought some whey protein powder and "3k" whey, casein, and egg protein powder.
The easiest way I have found to use them is after training diluted in water and soy or oat or rice drink.
I have noticed that they help me recover better :)

Skarta

from South Wales
Pronouns: She/They
I use an unflavoured powder not sure which type it means I can mix it with oat milk, in smoothies or with yogurt and not loose the taste of the original food as I am a very fussy eater with food sensitivities.

Optimum nutrition Whey Protein 24g per scoop

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Rule 1 Whey Protein - Chocolate Mint flavour. Mixed with water, it tastes a little like chocolate milk. About 75g a day (three scoops) seems to be the sweet spot. I've been through many brands of whey protein and the macros aren't radically different, but the way they taste is usually rubbish.

Abbott11b

I use Redcon1 protein powder I prefer there "Green Beret" line its a plant based protein i prefer plant based over whey because personally whey makes me feel bloated and i dont like it. I use it in combination with unsweetened vanilla almond milk as almond mile is low in calories and helps promote fat burning. i will also cook with it if combined correctly you can make protein french toast with like 250 calories

PETERMORRIS966

Scout from Alberta Canada
I've bought Vega Sport some years ago and more recent Vega protein and Greens, I don't like stevia.

A Canadian brand I like is . . .

When I was working construction I use to buy protein powders and bars often, nowadays no bars but sometimes powder depending on my training intensity.
Thanx @Heniek

OJJJEM

Mother of Dragons Posts: 583
I've actually not used protein powders in a looong time... It was one of those blends where the number of ingredients was longer than the list of health benefits... Since then, so many others have emerged that I have no clue which one to use... I just want a pure soy-free plant protein that's been through as little "processing" as possible as far as protein powders go... too many choices... :(

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
Pronouns: She/her
Lol, I add split red lentils to everything. I don't add any salt to them, so they work well in sweet and savoury dishes.

I just blend half a cup or more into my smoothies, or even add into my oatmeal. They have a pretty mild taste that can be masked with a lot of things.

I'm thinking of adapting the Darebee Bean brownie recipe to use red lentils in place of beans. Since, once again, my tolerance for beans have just vanished.

I also add blended red lentils to muffin mixes and to homemade oat bread.

It's my go-to protein/fibre source for pretty much everything.

Rogue from Germany
Pronouns: they/them
Well I used to use this vegan protein powder (i think mostly soy protein), chocolate flavour from my local grocery store that tasted really good in my fruit smoothies. They didn't have it anymore when I wanted to restock the other day, so ended up getting whey protein from a different store, also chocolate flavoured but it tasted a lot less good in my smoothie :(( No idea if that's bc it's whey protein and that somehow doesn't mix as well with fruit or if it's bc the flavouring is just not as good

So now I'm hoping I can get that protein powder I used to use again, will have to look around whether I can find it again.

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
A question for you protein-powder users, can it be added to breakfast to help satiate?

Now to give context to my question, as I had to cut gluten, I re-evaluated my breakfast and with the nutritionist, settled on a small bowl of gluten-free cereals + rice milk, and a hard egg. Adding the egg made a serious difference in cutting my mid-morning / late morning cravings.
However, latest blood tests have shown an increase above normal range of my total cholesterol, (HDL, the good cholesterol, being in range). I don't fret since it is only once test, and strangely they didn't measure triglycerides, but I am still keeping an eye. So, I was wondering, could replacing my egg with some good qualty protein powder still stop my cravings ?

Hammerhand

"But Iron - Cold Iron - is master of them all"
Here's what I buy. I've had a couple kinds of whey before but so far this is the best unflavored for mixability, taste, and purity.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-11-09-10-17-54-88_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-11-09-10-17-54-88_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 5

Coach Sherman

Guardian from Arizona
Pronouns: Me
"Lord Commander of my world"
Do you use protein powders? What kind?
How do you use them?
How do you use them?
I do use protein powder. The kind of protein I like is from Magnum Nutraceutical. I like to have them after I train. Protein powder is essential for recovery for me.

asumpt1

Lol, I add split red lentils to everything. I don't add any salt to them, so they work well in sweet and savoury dishes.

I just blend half a cup or more into my smoothies, or even add into my oatmeal. They have a pretty mild taste that can be masked with a lot of things.

I'm thinking of adapting the Darebee Bean brownie recipe to use red lentils in place of beans. Since, once again, my tolerance for beans have just vanished.

I also add blended red lentils to muffin mixes and to homemade oat bread.

It's my go-to protein/fibre source for pretty much everything.
I know there used to be recipes posted on Darebee. Are they still available someplace?

Andi64

from Margareten
@asumpt1 Try the wayback-machine aka web.archive.org

The recipies and meal plans have been scrapped, here is why:

asumpt1

@asumpt1 Try the wayback-machine aka web.archive.org

The recipies and meal plans have been scrapped, here is why:
Thank you! I appreciate the info.

Fitato

Mystic from Kansas
"Hello"
I started using chocolate muscle milk protein powder a couple months ago. I don't have anything to compare it to since it's the first protein powder I've bought, but I am happy with it. Tastes good mixed with water. Doesn't make me crave more of it (which is a huge thing for me when it comes to chocolate stuff). I usually have it with lunch. I usually only have one scoop, but will have two scoops if I feel I need more calories.

I would love to get into baking with protein powder (and/or fiber), just because buying premade protein(/fiber) bars is getting pretty expensive.

Redline

DAREBEE Team
DAREBEE Team
Ninja from Marseille, France
I do believe that protein powders of various sorts can have their uses for people who are on a low-calorie diet but still want to make sure they take in enough protein to maintain their muscle mass. Outside that specific situation, I really think it's perfectly possible to be fit, look fit and completely go without.
As @Henry said, most balanced meals already include a fair share of protein. I stopped using powders a couple of years ago and have felt no difference whatsoever in my recovery or my body's ability to put on muscle. I also realized that my digestive tract and whey weren't exactly on the best of terms, even though I'm aware that plant-based powders might have a different effect, and that we're not all built the same.

What I really feel the need to emphasize is that even though supplements can have their uses, people who are just starting on their fitness journeys should definitely not be led to believe they are something compulsory. ;)

eeek

Alchemist from MN
A question for you protein-powder users, can it be added to breakfast to help satiate?

Now to give context to my question, as I had to cut gluten, I re-evaluated my breakfast and with the nutritionist, settled on a small bowl of gluten-free cereals + rice milk, and a hard egg. Adding the egg made a serious difference in cutting my mid-morning / late morning cravings.
However, latest blood tests have shown an increase above normal range of my total cholesterol, (HDL, the good cholesterol, being in range). I don't fret since it is only once test, and strangely they didn't measure triglycerides, but I am still keeping an eye. So, I was wondering, could replacing my egg with some good qualty protein powder still stop my cravings ?
I am gluten free too, and I add it to overnight oats (along with chia seeds and a little ground flax) and adding in the protein definitely made a difference for me. I also know a lot of people who sprinkle a little protein powder over their cereal and have it mix in with the milk. Most use unflavored or vanilla for that. I did find that adding more protein to my diet helped a lot with my appetite and cravings.

eeek

Alchemist from MN
I like the Egg White Protein Powder by True Nutrition, very basic without all the additives and unknown ingredients. They have a bunch of different types of protein powders and other stuff. Flavoring is optional - and you can adjust the level of it, and there is stevia or sucralose options. Plus you can make custom mixes with other things added if you want, or combos of different types of proteins. I also just tried the pumpkin/pea protein blend and definitely prefer the egg white for drinks, but it worked well in protein pudding and overnight oats. I have had issues with whey protein in the past, and despite hearing that it is less likely to happen with isolates than concentrates, I have not wanted to test it.

OJJJEM

Mother of Dragons Posts: 583
So... I've been studying protein powders, and I was thinking of making my own blend from pea, hemp, and collagen... I've found the pea and hemp proteins that I wish to use, but I'm still looking for a good collagen... Any recommendations?

from Australia
"So Far No Limits"
I take a variety of protein powders/supplements. I usually wait until they are on half price special then buy many. I also do the same with collagen supplements. I usually have a 10g collagen supplement with a protein supplement 1 hour before a workout and a collagen supplement before bed. These joints of mine are not getting any younger and I like to keep them in good order.

I will also take protein supplements to top up to my target of 140g of protein per day

During my workout I will have flavored BCAA drink

Maegaranthelas

Bard from The Netherlands
Pronouns: They/them
"I sing and I know things"
I started up my workout routine without using protein powder, but for some reason I got some pretty intense depressive symptoms. Which went away when I remembered to use protein shakes. Which is confusing but hey I can work out without crying for no reason every evening :up:

I'm sadly on the moo-derived stuff, as my body is apparently incapable of processing beans, peas, or lentils. But I mix it with half oatmilk half water, which reduces the sweetness of this flavour to a bearable level.

Furrymama

from Ohio USA
How do you use them?
I don't know if this counts as a protein powder, probably not. But I've used Click drink mix off and on for a couple of years. It's caffeine infused weight loss powder. They have 3 flavors. I'm guessing now that I say weight loss powder it's not the same thing as protein powder. DUH! LMAo.

Nitrous828

Jedi from United States
"May The Force Be With You!"
I used Optimum nutrition for a long time, also did the Vegan Select brand while I was vegan

I am now looking for a more natural and less added ingredients which made me switch to Naked whey protein, which tastes a little bland I just add a little pure coco powder to it, its made from only 1 Ingredient, Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder, no gmos, no soy, gluten-free, no sativa, sweetened with natural coconut sugar, they do have a plant based version which I am planning to try when I switch vegan again (which I do for a couple of months each year)

Miss_Dada

Fighter Posts: 14
How do you use them?
-Yes I do.
- Currently I have 5 proteins .

1.Hydrolysate (fast) protein (from Dorian Yates) vanilla -I use when I wake up always with water;) this gives me 23g of protein.
Same amount after workout.

2. Reflex whey pro -choco - I buy this again and again because of quality. However it's more ,foamy, = perfect for protein ice cream😜 or protein bars(sticky).

3. Just Whey= vanilla (not my fav)

4. YUMYUM BEAST PINK 😈😂STRAWBERRY= very YUMYUM protein for women with enzymes etc. I drink often,always with water.

5. Vegan protein Extreme = chocolate Silk🤤🤤🤤 5 finest plant based protein .
28g per scoop . This one I got because of protein bars, which I want to make at home.
I heard it's not sticky after freezing .
Whey protein makes protein bars extremly sticky😝
Haven't tried those vegan protein bars yet.....tho.
The powder tastes good with water but not that good as whey isolate.

Total amount of my daily protein intake I roughly count and I try not to drink more then 3 drinks/day. Well .....those who drink a lot of protein powder know what can happen..if you drink too much...🙈💨💩
:LOL:

thinman

"Be Strong - Be Active - Be empowered."
99f3490e25a89d133707037ccfa4f618.jpg

'rin

Pirate from NYC area
Pronouns: she/her/hers
"Striving to be Stronger, NOT Smaller"
Unflavored Whey or Whey/Casin blend - to replace some (not all, the texture gets wonky then) of the flour in things like banana bread or blueberry muffins to make a breakfast "cake" w enough protein to hold me to lunch time.

Flavored Whey or Whey/Casin blend - (I like "snicker doodle" or "pumpkin pie spice" from PE science.) Sometimes as above, but less often, I dislike baking w fake sugar. Mostly blended into coffee if I have been eating like an unsupervised 8 year old and am trying to cheat some nutrition in or forgot about lunch and now it's 3pm and I'm starving but don't want to spoil my dinner or woke up late and don't have time for proper breakfast.

Powdered Peanutbutter - (Not really protein powder but the macros aren't far off, just less carbs and some fat.) Mixed into banana bread to replace some flour. Added to plain keifer as a pb smoothie, added to plain Greek Yogurt with some jam for pb and j yogurt.

thinman

"Be Strong - Be Active - Be empowered."
I use Vega Sport Performance protein powder.

I just bought the same vanilla Vega Sport protein from Walmart on sale, I'll mainly use 1/2 a scoop with soy milk or dark chocolate soy milk. I keep old scoops and have one that is exactly 1/2. I like what's in the total ingredients.

I'm going to blend in a container of NOW Foods Sports Soy Protein Isolate Powder Unflavoured, I'm not a fan of stevia and aftertaste so will cut on that taste.

Last edited: