Beef stew

Heniek

Warrior Posts: 58
"is that the spirit of the age ?"
Got some Angus beef stew chucks and fried then cleared the centre of the large frypan, and fried chopped onion and green pepper, when browned add a load of paprika powder and beef stock and simmer, a bit later add peas and carrots and let simmer for hours. I had a can of sliced mushrooms so added them in. When ready thicken with some flour that was added to water, have over wide flat German egg noodle. Kinda like a Hungarian beef stew.

Last edited:

Furrymama

from Ohio USA
Here's the version I make.

Best Beef "Stew"

recipe-2018090922453871112635qj3.jpg

upload_img_white.png

Servings: 10 1 cup servings

Ingredients
    • 2 1/2 lb beef chuck under blade pot roast boneless, chopped into 2-bite size pieces
    • 5 medium baking potatoes, chopped
    • 1 cup merlot wine (or low sodium V8 juice)
    • 28 oz can diced tomatoes
    • 4 large carrots, chopped
    • 1 large onion, chopped
    • 1 bay leaf
    • Salt and fresh ground pepper
    • 2 TB minced garlic
    • 2 TB canola oil
Steps
    • pour oil into large pot.
    • put beef in pot and sear on all sides, until mostly cooked to your liking.
    • put in onions and cook until mostly soft
    • place beef and onions aside.
    • put potatoes in pot and cook until mostly fork tender
    • put ALL ingredients in pot and bring to boil
    • reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes until done to desired tenderness.

Last edited:

Andi64

from Margareten
@Furrymama Looks nice!
One suggestion: I would take out the meat after the sear and put it aside, because it might be overdone when cooking it with the onions and veg. So I'd rather sear the meat, take it out and roast the onions, carrots and potatoes like a mirepoix. Then back in with the meat and finish them off with the merlot together. Let it bubble for a while and scratch all those tasty bits from the bottom. In go the tomatoes and then a nice low simmer for a good while. Potatoes do not cook well in acidic enviroments like tomatosauce (or wine). So your advise to get them fork tender before is very valid.
One question: I'm European, so what and how much in gramms is a TB?

Last edited:

Furrymama

from Ohio USA
@Furrymama Looks nice!
One suggestion: I would take out the meat after the sear and put it aside, because it might be overdone when cooking it with the onions and veg. So I'd rather sear the meat, take it out and roast the onions, carrots and potatoes like a mirepoix. Then back in with the meat and finish them off with the merlot together. Let it bubble for a while and scratch all those tasty bits from the bottom. In go the tomatoes and then a nice low simmer for a good while. Potatoes do not cook well in acidic enviroments like tomatosauce (or wine). So your advise to get them fork tender before is very valid.
One question: I'm European, so what and how much in gramms is a TB?
@Andi64..1 Tablespoon (US measurement)=15 grams (Euro measurement).