Whirly's Wanderings

Whirly

Ranger from Colorado
Pronouns: she/her
22 May 2023 - Monday

Evening:

:v: Arms of Steel Chair Edition - Day 17 (did all exercises in a row without rest, 60 sec rest between sets)
:v: Neck Mobility Workout

Notes:
My left calf was very sore today. I think I compensated for my foot hurting during Saturday's walk by using my calf more/differently.

Consecutive Days of Exercise: 1135

day17.jpg

Whirly

Ranger from Colorado
24 May 2023 - Wednesday

Afternoon:

:v: Arms of Steel Chair Edition - Day 19 (Level I)

Evening:
:v: DeskCycling (about 20 min)
:v: Alternating bicep curls - 3 sets of 16 (8 lb dumbbells, 2 min rest between sets)
:v: Deadlifts - 3 sets of 12 (20 lb kettlebell, 2 min rest between sets)

Notes:
I didn't allow myself to go for a walk today, and instead borrowed my husband's DeskCycle (under-desk pedals).

Consecutive Days of Exercise: 1137

day19.jpg

Whirly

Ranger from Colorado
27 May 2023 - Saturday

Morning:

:v: 10 minute walk outside

Evening:
:v: DeskCycling (10 min)

Notes:
I tried a very short walk today, after buying some squishy insoles for my shoes. Between those and my metatarsal pad, I didn't notice any foot pain while I was walking! I don't know why I didn't think to try more padding sooner (my husband finally suggested it).

A little backstory... I switched to minimal/barefoot shoes just over two years ago, so I typically wear completely flat, thin-soled shoes with very little padding (and I try to go barefoot when I can). My feet have done great with minimal shoes until this spring. I'm not sure if I injured my left foot without realizing it, or if it had just gotten weak over the winter since I was wearing winter boots that are a little stiffer/more padded than my other shoes. I also was not walking as much this winter as I usually do, so maybe I just did too much, too soon as the weather started warming up. Either way, I think I need to wear more padding than I'm used to until my foot is completely pain-free (as well as keep up with my foot strengthening/stretching exercises).

Consecutive Days of Exercise: 1140

Whirly

Ranger from Colorado
Hello my fellow bees! It's been over a month since I've posted, and in that time I had a bit of a health scare... on June 18th I had a stroke. And then, somehow, I fully recovered in about 48 hours.

On the evening of the 17th, I briefly was unable to speak. My husband and I noticed it, but it didn't occur to us that that could be a stroke symptom, and after a little while I could talk again. However the next morning, I was again unable to speak, or even type what I wanted to say on the computer. My husband realized that I needed to go to the emergency room, so he drove me to the closest hospital. At the ER, they gave me a CT scan and an MRI, and the CT scan revealed a clot on the left side of my brain. I was airlifted via helicopter to a different, nearby hospital and had emergency surgery to remove the clot (via a tiny incision in my leg!) I spent a day and a half recovering in the ICU, and my ability to speak and type steadily returned. They moved me out of the ICU to the cardiac ward for the second night, and I went home the next day.

While physically I recovered very quickly, mentally it has been a lot to process. It never occurred to me that I could have a stroke at my age (37), but I am so, so grateful that I was able to get the surgery I needed and make a full recovery so quickly. The doctors are still trying to figure out what caused my stroke, so I have various follow up appointments and testing to do, but besides that I've been gradually getting back to my normal life. I do feel like my outlook has changed, however, and I've just been feeling so much gratitude to all my family and friends who have been so wonderful through all this, and grateful to be alive and be able to still do the things I love.

I hope all you bees have been well, and I'm hoping to start getting caught up on your logs soon.

:love:

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
That's very scary indeed (don't hesistate to see someone who does rapid eyes movement therapy , EMDR, or help to help release the moment, if need be. I got some hypnotherapy to get over the scare of my suffen cardiac insuficency in 2019, that was a good thing to do for myself).
Hope you recover in all aspects fully and quickly.

Last edited:

mrussell22

22 May 2023 - Monday

Evening:

:v: Arms of Steel Chair Edition - Day 17 (did all exercises in a row without rest, 60 sec rest between sets)

Notes:
My left calf was very sore today. I think I compensated for my foot hurting during Saturday's walk by using my calf more/differently.

Consecutive Days of Exercise: 1135

day17.jpg
Hi Whirly, I sent you a message, I hope you received it. About post-Stroke exercise and recovery. Thank you, Mark

Whirly

Ranger from Colorado
@JCU @PETERMORRIS966 @Mianevem @Montserrat @Mamatigerj @HellYeah @CODawn @Gandhalfit @Tileenah @astro_rae @Fremen @PetiteSheWolf @Wiaaam @TopNotch @Anek @NancyTree

Thank you so much for the good wishes, everyone! :heartsit:

I'm still doing well. I saw a speech therapist on Thursday for an assessment, and all my speaking/language/cognitive abilities were found to be normal! :dance:I do feel like I'm making more typos when texting/typing than I did pre-stroke, but I am able to notice and correct them right away. It is hard to know if I'm actually making more typos or if I'm just more aware of them now... :confused:

I didn't have any weakness/balance/coordination issues due to the stroke (I easily passed the PT/OT tests in the hospital before I was discharged), so I've been able to return to my normal activities and exercises. I'll get my log updated eventually, but for now I'm walking or biking everyday, and I'm redoing both Foundation and Arms of Steel Chair Edition. Before the stroke I was quite a bit less active than I wanted to be (partially because my foot was bothering me), so now I'd like to work up to being more active than I was in the months before the stroke. My foot is still bothering me a little, but it does seem to be getting better!

Strangely enough, I didn't break my streak even with the stroke... I went for a 10 minute walk the morning of the stroke before I realized what was happening, and the day after the stroke I did Neck Mobility before bed (I also took a lap around the ICU that day with the physical therapists to prove I could walk!)

I hope you Bees are all doing well - thanks again for all the support! :love:

Last edited: