Alternative leg exercises when having knee issues?

pilot-fish

Hi all,

I am kind of a beginner at the weight training. I was doing running training building up for a half marathon, but I had an issue with my knee cap (chondromalaci patella).
Since I am not running currently and as a way to add to my fitness program I wanted to add some weight training to my routine.
I have a pair of adjustable dumbbells and I would like to do one of the programs on here. However I shouldn't be doing some of the leg exercises that include bending my knee too much like deep squats and stuff like that. What is an alternative I can do to replace these exercises while still building my strength in my legs?

Dennisleon

Hi all,

I am kind of a beginner at the weight training. I was doing running training building up for a half marathon, but I had an issue with my knee cap (chondromalaci patella). HealthCareGov
Since I am not running currently and as a way to add to my fitness program I wanted to add some weight training to my routine.
I have a pair of adjustable dumbbells and I would like to do one of the programs on here. However I shouldn't be doing some of the leg exercises that include bending my knee too much like deep squats and stuff like that. What is an alternative I can do to replace these exercises while still building my strength in my legs?
Hello,

I understand you're looking for alternative leg exercises due to knee issues. Here are some great options you can do with dumbbells that are easier on your knees:

Upper Body Focus:

While focusing on alternative leg exercises, you can prioritize building upper body strength with your dumbbells. This will maintain overall fitness and allow your knees time to heal. Here are some exercises:

Dumbbell Bench Press
Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Dumbbell Rows
Dumbbell Bicep Curls
Dumbbell Tricep Extensions
Lower Body Focus (Knee-Friendly):

Wall Sits: Stand with your back flat against a wall, feet shoulder-width apart, and slowly slide down until your knees are bent at a 90-degree angle. Hold for 30 seconds to 1 minute, then slowly return to standing.
Hamstring Curls: Lie on your back with one dumbbell in each hand, knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Lift your heels off the ground, squeezing your hamstrings, and hold for a second before lowering back down.
Calf Raises: Stand on the balls of your feet with dumbbells in each hand. Raise your heels as high as you can, then slowly lower back down. You can do this exercise on a step for added difficulty.
Lunges with Bulgarian Split Squat Variation: Stand facing a bench or sturdy chair. Place one foot behind you on the bench and hold dumbbells in each hand. Lower yourself down until your front knee is bent at a 90-degree angle and the back knee nearly touches the ground. Push back up to starting position and repeat with the other leg.

Last edited: