Lol! bored, wanting something "useful" to do.

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
Pronouns: She/her
So the past few days I've been playing video games a lot.

And now my brain suddenly wants to stop doing that and is telling me that it's a big waste of time and I'm essentially doing nothing to improve myself for hours every day.

Funnily it also thinks that about reading. Unless it's an 'educational' read. Anything that allows me to escape into another world for days at a time usually has this kind of response at some point. Reading, coloring, video games... What's the point of it all except wasting time? (As if I have somewhere to be, in my unemployed state)

My brain wants to be productive, but at the same time it doesn't want to do chores/be bored...Lol! For instance, I could be tilling the yard for my plants, but that's hard physical labor (for me) and my brain doesn't want to do that.

Walking seems fine because I'm "improving myself" in some way when I do it. But I can't do that for the whole day.

So, any ideas on what to do something productive/free?

aerochic

None from Maryland
"Doing some introspection"
Learn a new language
Play an instrument
Watch youtube or other videos on a topic of interest to you or improve/learn new skills to make yourself more employable
Organize one drawer/cabinet/container

guibo94

Gladiator from New Asgard
"Silent but deadly."
I am not trying to be jerk by saying this, but why do you feel the need to be "productive"? Or better yet, what does "productive" mean to you? Doing something you "have to" is rarely as rewarding or fulfilling as something you "want" to do even if its the same exact task or activity. Just something to think about...

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
I am not trying to be jerk by saying this, but why do you feel the need to be "productive"? Or better yet, what does "productive" mean to you? Doing something you "have to" is rarely as rewarding or fulfilling as something you "want" to do even if its the same exact task or activity. Just something to think about...
That's a good question!

By productive I mean that, by playing video games I'm not doing anything to improve myself/my life. At least by exercising, I am improving in some way.

But at this stage there's not too much I can do. Either because I can't afford to, or because I can't do much more than send a C.V and hope that someone actually answers me.

I suppose this is a common feeling when you're unemployed. Or at home. Or whatever. Maybe I need to call this Lockdown Syndrome? I feel like a lot of people had this problem in isolation...

At least my browser is allowing me to plant trees in some distant part of the world by using the search engine. 🤣

One thing I've really wanted to do was download something like Charity Miles. It allows you to donate money to a charity of your choice by walking.

But the app is, sadly, bugged and I can't even register.

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
I also set up a garden. But there's not much to do now but wait for the plants to grow 🤓 and only once they're mature enough will I be able to make salve with my... "Recreational herbs". Maybe sell that.

Andi64

from Margareten
Well, this is a fitness-site, so I say go for the hard physical labor (tilling the yard). It is stupidly manual and leaves the brain free to roam. At the same time you do something for your body (and your yard). Nothing like a good afternoon of shoveling. With good gloves you can keep the blisters at bay.

Last edited:

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
I ended up doing that after all 😁 but now it's finished 🤣
Well, this is a fitness-site, so I say go for the hard physical labor (tilling the yard). It is stupidly manual and leaves the brain free to roam. At the same time you do something for your body (and your yard). Nothing like a good afternoon of shoveling. With good gloves you can keep the blisters at bay.

guibo94

"Silent but deadly."
By productive I mean that, by playing video games I'm not doing anything to improve myself/my life. At least by exercising, I am improving in some way.
I've been unemployed for long stretches of time in the past (several times unfortunately) so I can definitely understand where you are coming from. The only thing I guess I can say is try not to feel guilty about being unproductive. Better yet, appreciate the long hours of video gaming and boredom as one day (and hopefully soon) you will be employed again and then your spare time will dissolve away and you can look back at this time of "un-productivity" as nice long vacation. Not to get too preachy, but our world is so busy, we need A LOT MORE "un-productivity" time, at least I think so!!!

guibo94

"Silent but deadly."
I found this free online course about writing your first novel...