Thank you @BetaCorvi @JCU @PetiteSheWolf @TopNotch @Fremen
Big update today. I'll write in bulletpoint format to get my thoughts out.
- This was likely my worst performance at a bench press competition. I weighed in at 80.3 kg and benched 142.5 for a horribly heavy, grindy rep. I was hoping to put up at least 145, which I can comfortably do in the gym. Compare that with six years ago, when I weighed 69 kg, and pulled off the same feat with more ease. Why? I feel like I was too rushed, and didn't really follow a strict training schedule (you all know how I am).
- Nonetheless, I won! There were two other competitors in my weight class (83 kg), and my first lift was stronger than their best attempts. I get the feeling that it could've been much harder; I've competed at times where there were five or more competitors in a weight class. The 66 and 74 kg categories had more competition. One guy in the class above me was the only competitor in his class and naturally scooped up a gold.
- My sifu was there acting as a judge. His impression was that I was too rushed, and using unfavourable form (my grip is quite narrow). It was good to see him again and have his encouragement and feedback.
- Gone are the days where winning meant prize money and other... prizes.
- This is Gam Chi Leung, perhaps the most gifted bencher in Hong Kong. I've seen him in the past pull off over 180 at 85 kg bodyweight. Here, he managed 177.5 while failing his second and third lifts... I'm not sure why.
- There was a surprising amount of drama and events of interest. Three lifters had clearly never been to a competition like this before, and didn't follow commands from the judge. But the big deal was the switch in "stances". Basically, many competitors grip the bar with a very wide width so that they can reduce the distance that the bar moves; less than a year ago, this was essentially banned. A lot of lifters today didn't get the memo, and were left upset over why their lifts were all disqualified. And then of course there were the usual bits from people who failed their lifts and wanted to argue about it.
- Didn't get selected for doping this time. Thank God - it's so tedious, and I've done it more than five times in the past.
- There's another compo in June, but this is a big one - it's an international bench press competitions featuring athletes from Asia and Africa. I qualified for it by virtue of ranking well in this competition, so I have four months to prepare. And get smushed by everyone, hehe!
Now I'm going to chill a bit and relax. Tomorrow is hot pot! Yum yum.
Enjoy your weekend, Bees!
Playing: Still having fun with Fallout 4.
Watching: Hmm... still hunting for stuff to watch.
Listening to: Saxon - Demon Sweeney Todd. Now I know I haven't posted this one on here before. It's an absolute shredder of a song, and positively menacing in tone.
"Was he the victim of vicious blood lies?
'I am the demon - The Demon!' he cries