Quest for Muscle: The Return of the Pump

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Thank you @TopNotch @CODawn @Fremen @JCU and @Tileenah !

Still around, still tired. Today is my final push day and W3 of the Greyskull program.

Bench Press: 115 x 11. Not sure what went wrong, as I was aiming for 12, but that's okay.
Incline Press: 85 x 17. Wowza!
Decline Close Grip Press: 85 x 24. Wowza round 2! Maybe my triceps are getting stronger.
Machine Chest Press: 105 x 12.
Machine Pushdown: 15 x 10.
Flat Dumbbell Curls: 16 x 20. Not feeling these today.

I spent most of tonight preparing for my lesson tomorrow. So much to do! Can't wait until tomorrow is over and I can relax over the weekend.

Also, a little depressed. My meds have levelled me out to the point where I don't feel much, except for contentment, or anxiety. So this low mood is an unwelcome surprise. Not that it's going to stop me from going on.

Almost Friday, Bees!

Playing: Still playing RE4; about to go up against that punk, Salazar. Tried getting into Saints Row 4 again but... it just didn't jive. System Shock Remake has been delayed, which is disappointing, but not surprising. Not going to have money to pay for new games until next month, but the bare necessities take priority.

Watching: Blood Red Sky is still pretty entertaining. I think I just forgot about The Outwaters; it's a frustrating watch.

Listening to: Local H - Eddie Vedder. It's been too long since I listened to this one, and it periodically sums up my feelings at my most dejected. Tried to cover it on the drums once. The lyrics generally tend toward the theme of rejection, and there're a lot of pithy lines.

"If I was Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better?
That's it, I quit, I don't give a shit!"

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Thank you so much @Tileenah @PetiteSheWolf @TheLibrarian @JCU . I do feel better today.

Had a monster leg workout in which I blasted my quads and hams. No new PRs, but that's okay.

Squats: 105 x 5. Not feeling it.
Paused Squats: 95 x 3.
Front Squats: 75 x 5.
Romanian Deadlifts: 100 x 6.
Lying Leg Curls:
Back Extensions: 20 reps in total.

Still quite tired after tonight's lesson, and I have a follow up lesson tomorrow. Oh well, I certainly could use the extra income.

As I am quite tuckered out, I bid you all adieu! We have made it to the weekend!

Enjoy your weekend, Bees! You've earned it.

Playing: Still chugging along with Resident Evil 4, and eagerly awaiting the remake! Keep forgetting to play Cyberpunk. Reinstalled Days Gone, but I don't know if I have the patience to go far with it.

Watching: Blood Red Sky continues to entertain, even if its ridiculousness (this is a film about vampires on a motherf****** plane, after all) grates. I will admit that it's very slickly and competently made. I'm quite curious about the even more ridiculous Cocaine Bear, even though it seems a lot like a one-trick... bear. Going to move on to Project Wolf Hunting (action/horror) when I'm done with Blood Red Sky.

Listening to: Alicia Bridges - I Love the Nightlife. How about something more upbeat? I will forever remember this one from the Love at First Bite trailer (which was hilarious!), but it's a campy, glammed-up, and all-round charming song.

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
@CODawn Disco will never die!

Hey Bees! Smashed another Push workout today. It's week 4, so I upped my poundages and went at it. And didn't do terribly well, unfortunately.

Bench Press: 117.5 x 10. Ugh. This one was a mess. I did everything right (cue and form wise), but my strength wasn't there.
Incline Press: 87.5 x 12.
Decline Close Grip Press: 87.5 x 15.
Machine Press: 107.5 x 12.
Dips: Top set of 25.
Rope Pushdown: 11 x 10.
Hammer Curls: 18 x 20.

So I got absolutely pancaked. It's one of those examples of showing up and trying your best, and it doesn't quite make it. Oh well, there are more days to be had.

Preparing my notes for the rest of the week's classes. And there's John Wick on Thursday! Woohoo!

Keep on trucking, Bees!

Playing: I finished Resident Evil 4! It took me several weeks of disparate play sessions, but I made it through to the end (and that lousy jet-ski escape). Much like I remember, it earns its status as one of the best games of all time. I give it five knives out of five. So now it's onto Resident Evil 5, which I haven't played in years. Going to skip RE6 though, as it's mostly crap. Now all I need is an open-world shooter to get my fix...

Watching: Finished Blood Red Sky. A very competent action/horror vampire slog that has several surprisingly moving moments. But in the end, I guess it boils down to vampires on a MFing plane(!). I give it three and a half teddy bears out of five. Also listening to more of the Every Horror Movie podcast because it's witty and entertaining.

Listening to: Doomtree - Beacon. I haven't the foggiest idea what this song is about, but I suspect there are layered meanings upon meanings. It is ultimately a really catchy hip-hop song that's really well produced.

Last edited:

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Hey Bees. Boy am I knackered.

Today was another hard-hitting Back session in which I took another hack at the deadlift. Boy did it pay off.

Deadlifts: 180 x 6. Holy crap, I did it. Not an all-time PR, but a PR nonethless. Next I'm going to aim for 185, which has given me difficulty in the past.
Barbell Rows: 107.5 x 5.
T-Bar Rows: 92.5 x 5.
Machine One Arm Rows: 67.5 x 5.
Incline Rows: 28 x 6.
Pullups: Top set of 7.

A success! Here's hoping that future lifting sessions follow suit.

I have a ton of working coming my way that demands a lot of time, hence a lot of my complaining about being tired. Or is it because I go to the gym so often? Could be.

Also, have a ticket for John Wick 4 on Thursday! So excited.

Hope your week is starting off on the right foot, Bees!

Playing: My RE5 playthrough is fully under way. A very competent and gorgeous game (even by today's standards) that has no way of matching its predecessor. Not playing anything else, sadly. But I should change that tonight.

Watching: The Siege of Jadotville at the gym. A cracking, if not profound film that helps bring to light the valour of the Irish forces. Still haven't finished The Outwaters.

Listening to: SW Republic Commando - Vode An. A very distinctive tune that's as underrated as the game it's in. Just taste the epic!

Last edited:

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Thank you so much @JCU @Tileenah @CODawn @TopNotch and @Fremen ! You're all the best.

Today, I knew, even before going to the gym, that it was going to be one of those stronger days. And I wasn't wrong!

Bench Press: 117.5 x 11. 1 rep over my previous record! I put all my energy into this one, and the final rep was a real struggle.
Incline Press: 87.5 x 15. I think it was 15. Either way, more reps than before.
Decline Close Grip Press: 87.5 x 20. Augh. Really felt my triceps burn.
Dips: Top set of 20, but I forget how many I did in total.
And threw in a few flat curls.

I had to abbreviate my workout once again because I had a class to teach, but I feel good about what I accomplished today. And tired, naturally...

Tomorrow morning I watch John Wick 4. Woooo!

Halfway through the week, Bees!

Playing: Thinking about clean reinstalling Fallout 4. Lolwut again?? This time I'll have to focus on stability and preventing the game from crashing so often. Not sure how I'll do that. I'll mull it over.

Currently going through Resident Evil 5, which is fun, if not as exceptional as its predecessor. Really feel like this is where RE got blasted into space (maybe that actually happens during the game lol. I forget)

Also, RE4 got a cute, mini-animated series depicting what happens in the game in a properly silly and playful light.

Watching: Still watching The Siege of Jadotville at the gym. Also watching some of The Evil Dead (2013) in anticipation for Evil Dead Rise.

Listening to: The Midnight - Land Locked Heart. I love making new synthwave discoveries! Rad!

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Thank you Bees! @Tileenah @Fremen @JCU @TopNotch . I have some months (hell, years) where there are absolutely no PRs, but it's always great when they do crop up!

No PRs today, but smashed my lower body workout nonetheless.

Squats: 110 x 5. I tried to do more, but my legs wouldn't go there.
Front Squat: 75 x 5. Ditto.
Paused Squat: 90 x 3. Will be my working weight for next time.
Romanian Deadlifts: 110 x 6.
Lying Leg Curls: 50 for 8 reps.

And now, am as usual, knackered. But a good day was had!

Almost at the weekend Bees! Keep going.

Playing: Reinstalling Fallout 4 and close to 100 mods. Bah, I thought I was done with this shit. I really need a bigger hard drive, but I know I'll never get one. Maybe some RE5, if I'm not too sleepy! RE4 remake comes out tomorrow, but I'm holding off until I have enough cash.

Watching: I watched John Wick 4 in the cinema this morning! Below are my thoughts.

Ox Review of John Wick Chapter 4: John Wick is on the run and seeking a way out of being hunted by the shadowy High Table; he thinks he's found it in a codified duel to the death, but is hunted by a new assortment of foes ready to end him before he reaches his duel. That's about all you need to know - because most of this film is superbly-choreographed, death-defying wall-to-wall action. My favourite set-piece is shot top-down and resembles something out of Hotline Miami). Some of it left me amazed, and it's all beautifully shot. The stuntwork is mind-boggling; got to wonder what kind of ridiculous training they put Keanu through. The new characters are memorable (reviewers are clamouring for spin-offs), and nobody gives a bad performance (maybe, maybe Bill Skarsgard, whose effete, sadistic noble is notably one-dimensional, and kind of lacklustre). I would say the only drawback to all this is that the middle kind of sags with scenes of lore-building and confrontations, but the final hour is absolutely electric. There's even a cute doggie! I give it four and a half reloads out of five.

Also: There was this comical scene in which Donnie Yen and Keanu Reeves curse out a baddie in Cantonese (lingua franca of Hong Kong). The whole theater, including myself, got a big laugh out of that.

Now I feel unsatisfied. Will watch some Evil Dead for some horror movie sustenance. Mmm... demons...

Listening to: Rina Sawayama - An Eye for an Eye. The end credits song for JW4. Very Bond-like, spiced up with a slinky rock accompaniment.

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Hi again everyone! After several days of not exercising, it was time to hit the gym again with a prejudice! I'm still carrying on with my increasing bench press weights; this week, it's been upped to 120.

Bench Press: 120 x 10 AMRAP set. Oof. That last rep was a real fight, but I cinched it!
Incline Press: 90 x 12.
Decline Close Grip Press: 90 x 12.
EZ Bar Pushdowns: 15 x 10, 16 x 5
Flat Curls: 16 x 20.

A good day! I just finished an absolutely terribly Zoom lesson (starting at 9 pm at my student's assistance, and with her out on the town to boot), so I'm ready to wind down. Tomorrow I'm going to try for 185 more than three times on the deadlift.

Take your Monday easy, Bees!

Playing: I got Fallout 4 to work - in the sense that it crashes only very occasionally! It took a lot of tinkering and a few mods, but I got it to be as stable as I remember (which isn't very, but hey). I'm happier than ever and now have a lvl 58 character. Really should play something else as well, but F4 has my attention.

Watching: Started watching Project Wolf Hunting - a very bloody Korean action flick that seems to have monster mayhem up its sleeve. Still trying to watch The Evil Dead (2013) at night, but never get really far.

Listening to: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Scar Tissue. I'm compiling a new playlist for my phone titled "Upbeat", which will contain my less aggressive music. It's, as of now, mostly the songs I remember from my youth.

Tileenah

Warrior from France
I really like the red hot chili peppers and it's been a looooong while since I last listened to them ! They have groovy bass-lines 😻
I'm adding them on my playlist for my runs 😊 thanks for the share !
I'm curious : what do you teach ? Does it have to do with sports/gym ?

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
@Tileenah I'm not generally a fan, but they're skilled musicians. As you said, the bass work is remarkable! I teach English and IELTS, generally. I've considered branching out into Physical training, though maybe not right now, and not where I live.
@CODawn It is indeed a relaxing song. Used to be all the rage when I was a kid.

Hey everybody! I'm quite tired, but I've made it through the day, and another workout.

Deadlifts: 185 x 5. I consider this quite sloppy, but hey, I made it!

Barbell Rows: 105 x 5, (reversed grip) 85 x 5
Machine One Armed Rows: I think 60 x 6?
Incline Rows: 28 x 5.
Lat Pulldowns: 70 x 6.

That deadlift really took it out of me! I'll try and nail down my form next time. More classes tomorrow, but I'm looking forward to Dungeons and Dragons (the film) on Friday! Fun for the whole family.

See you round, Bees!

Playing: You have ten guesses. Apart from that, I'm going to try to finish RE5 tonight. So close to the end, and that boulder-punching set piece. Not sure what else to play...

Watching: Project Wolf Hunting is still pretty bloody. Ludicrously, and probably unnecessarily so. On the other end of the scale, in full squick territory, I've been continuing with Evil Dead 2013. Is it effective and creepy? Sure. But it lacks the gruesome satisfaction of its predecessors.

Listening to: That Dog - Never Say Never. I was going to post a Weezer song, but that'll have to wait until next time. How have I never heard of That Dog? Those guitars sure are crunchy! Makes me wonder how many wonderful alt-rock bands I've passed by. I blame MTV!

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Hi everyone! Still tired from training and teaching, but still alive and grateful to be. Today was another Push day - shoulders.

Shoulder Press: 75 x 6. Knew I couldn't do 77.5, let alone 80, so I settled for upping my old record by one rep.
Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 34 x 12. I tried filming this, but it didn't quite work out to my satisfaction.
Front Shoulder Raises: 10 x 10. Bleh. I've always disliked raises, but I added them in to spice up my routine a little.
Lateral Raises: 12 x 10. Also bleh.
Rope Pushdown: 11 x 10.

Not the best of days, but again, I'll take it. Watching DnD with a friend on Friday! Looks like good fun.

Midway through the week, Bees!

Playing: Finished Resident Evil 5: The Rise of the Dumb. I love the actual action/gameplay, but the story elements (and any notion of horror or subtlety) got blasted into outer space. Also, repeat after me: Boss Battles suck. A step backwards for the RE franchise that Capcom wouldn't undo until the time-tested 7th entry, which I still love. I give RE5 three massive biceps out of five. May reinstall Skyrim again, I've got that itch...

Watching: Just finished Project Wolf Hunting. Entertaining and bloody and totally ridiculous. I give it three and a half gushes of blood out of five. Not sure what's next... Maybe Queen of Black Magic. Oh yeah! I still haven't finished the Evil Dead remake.

Listening to: The Rentals - Waiting. Continuing my alt-rock blitz. Charming little number!

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Hey everyone. Still tired, but still training like an ox. Also munching on Pocky. Yummy pocky...

I had an iffy stomach in the morning, but took a panadol and headed to the gym. Today was Leg day.

Squats: 110 x 7. Progress!
Front Squats: 70 x 5. No progress.
Paused Squats: 95 x 3.
Lying Leg Curls: 50 x 7.
Good Mornings: Just the bar x 10.
Body Extensions: 10 reps.

I saw a bunch of young guns (must've been five of them, all high-school age) heading for the bench press to joke, have a good time, and test their strength. How much they lifted was not the point, for me. It was more about how they lifted, and how many reps they were trying to get. Interesting to see how techniques differ, from the bar grip width to foot placement.

Tomorrow is DnD day! Also the Rugby Sevens, so here's hoping traffic isn't congested.

Almost Friday, Bees!

Playing: I had a hell of a time getting Skyrim to work with mods. Skyrim's new, maligned Special Edition takes mods as well, while I'm using the original version. Turns out it's possible to download and install mods for different versions, which caused me no end of consternation as I tried to get the game to work. I only cottoned on to the fact that I'd installed mods from different versions after 45 minutes of frustration. But it works now... yeesh. Now I can finally slash and loot to my heart's content.

Watching: Finished The Evil Dead 2013. Eh... I know that gruelling, atavistic horror is the franchise's jam, but this one just felt like a slog to get through. The originals (even the first one) were actually fun to watch. I give it two and a half chainsaws out of five. Also started Fauda Season 2 at the gym.

Listening to: The Wallflowers - Sixth Avenue Heartache. Geez, I don't remember exactly where I first heard this song. Must've been from my older sister's Wallflowers cd. Ah, to be back in the 90s again...

Last edited:

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Hey Bees! Still tired, still lifting.

Today was the final Push day of the week, before I up the weight by 2.5 kg again.

Bench Press: 120 x 10. Felt like a struggle today, but I got in my ten reps, so I'm not complaining.
Incline Press: 90 x 13. One rep more than last time.
Decline Close Grip Press: 90 x 18. Feel the burn!
Dips: I don't know how many in total (I'd guess 100+), but my top set was 30 reps.
Overhead Triceps Extension: 18 x 8. Resurrecting this exercise using lighter weight.

Got in, did what I set out to do, and then out the door to catch that movie I mentioned. That wasn't the hard part. The hard part was finishing at 1830, when everyone gets off of work, and when the Rugby Sevens were in full swing. That meant that it was too much of a slog to take the train home, so I took the bus. Also a slog - a crowded one. Still, the movie was definitely worth it. Review is below.

Tomorrow is Japanese buffet day, and the first day in which I'm taking a break from exercising after smashing it for five days.

It's Friday, Bees!

Playing: Still inching my way through Skyrim, even though parts of the experience can't be tuned to my liking. And much like when I played it over a decade ago, having a great time!

Watching: So I watched Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves with a friend earlier today. I don't have much bad to say about it - I think it's an absolute winner, and better than most of the fantasy/sci-fi adventure films I've seen lately. It packs so much humour, visual splendour, battles, and most of all, heart, into its runtime. And it succeeds! The characters are relatable and likeable; Chris Pratt is charming, Michelle Rodriguez is game, and Hugh Grant (likely channelling his pompous villain from Paddington 2) is smarmy, avuncular, and unctuous. The whole story could easily be crushed under the weight of lore and pomposity (*cough* *cough* Lord of the Rings), given the richness of the DnD universe. Instead those elements are wisely put in the background, and just accepted as a regular part of the world; meanwhile the human story is allowed to flourish. And some of the jokes and wisecracks are genuinely pretty funny - I found it more hilarious than any of the Marvel movies. I give it four and a half magic pendants out of five.

Listening to: Hmm. Don't really have a song of the day queued up. Oh, I know!

Smash Mouth - Perfect Planet. Looks like they've still got it. I love the breezy feel of this one.

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
@JCU Thanks!
@CODawn Grew up with that one! Still holds up as an Alternative Rock classic!

Hi Bees! Is it really the start of another week? Life is kind of a blur these days.

Today is the start of another Push week, so I upped the weight again. But...

Bench Press: 122.5 x 7. I performed pretty poorly here. I was expecting 9 reps... I guess the good news is that this is a low benchmark, so I'll come at it next time and smash it!
Incline Press: 92.5 x 10. Ditto.
Decline Close Grip Press: 92.5 x 15. The only exercise that went to plan.
Dumbbell Flys: 22 x 8. These were fun! It's been a long time since I did them.
Dips: Top set of 21.
Flat Curls: 14 x 20. Not feeling these today.

So pretty lacklustre. I'm hoping for a better performance later this week.

Tomorrow is my last day of teaching before Ching Ming Festival, which'll give me a chance to catch my breath.

Have a good start to your week, Bees!

Watching: Finished a long-time resident of my hard drive, Jan Svankmajer's Alice. Very weird, and requires a lot of concentration to watch, despite the astounding stop-motion animation. I'm not saying much because there's not much of a plot - it's simply Alice's journey through an apartment block (?) and the obnoxious ways she interacts with its denizens. I give it three white rabbits (mm... now I crave some white rabbit candy) out of five. Going to try and start the ABCs of Death if I'm not too sleepy tonight.

Playing: Skyrim is my jam, these days. Haven't even gone back to Fallout 4. I think a fresh open world (albeit from the same studio) is what I needed.

Listening to: Eliran Ben Ishai - Travelling Far in Short Strides. I rediscovered this synth number. Why did I ever delete it? This time, it ain't going nowhere.

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Hey Bees. Not my best workout today, but I went in and got it done.

Deadlifts: 185 x 2. Yikes. What went wrong here? I'll give it another try next week.
Barbell Rows: 100 x 5.
T-Bar Rows: 85 x 5.
Narrow Grip Rows: 55 x 6.
Incline Rows: 26 x 6.

It's like all the essential ingredients weren't there. I think I'm going to stop working out in the morning... it's like my body's not ready for heavy lifting until the afternoon.

I read that Ryuichi Sakamoto, famed composer, experimental musician and onetime pop star, passed away recently. I'm honestly heartbroken - I grew up listening to his music, and his oeuvre was spread across different genres (his pop work, for example, is exquisite). His work deserves more attention, and I'll never forget his songs.

Tomorrow is Ching Ming festival, so it's off to the cemetery to take care of my grandfather's grave (he would be called my Gong Gong in Cantonese).

Take care of yourselves, Bees!

Playing: Still Skyrim. Still haven't touched Fallout 4, or anything else. On the 16th, the HK government is giving us what amounts to free money (about 3000 hkd to begin with), so I'm going to splash out on Resident Evil 4 Remake. Looking forward to it.

Watching: Didn't watch anything last night, except for 2 minutes of The Queen of Black Magic, an Indonesian horror (purportedly a very intense one).

Listening to: Ryuichi Sakamoto (and Iggy Pop) - Risky. RIP, Sakamoto san.

"Born in a corporate dungeon
Where people are cheated of life
I knew I could never stay home"

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
@TopNotch It is my mother's father!

I managed to squeeze in another workout today! Today was my second Push day of the week.

Bench Press: 122.5 x 8. Better than before! Everything just gelled.
Incline Press: 92.5 x 11. One rep more than before.
Decline Close Grip Press: 92.5 x 18.
Dumbbell Flys: 26 x 8.
Dumbbell Curls: 16 x 20.

Glad to have some of my strength back.

So we didn't actually visit my grandfather's grave site on Wednesday, as it was rainy, and the tombstone is located on a hill. We'll go this weekend, after Easter mass.

Just gotta make it through tomorrow!

Keep chugging along, Bees! You've got this!

Watching: Erm. Still haven't made much headway in watching my nightly flicks. Watching Echo 3 at the gym for a change of pace; it's a geo-political/action series that I find a touch pretentious and lofty in its execution (cf Fauda, which is very ground-level and direct). Anyway, I'll see where it goes.

Playing: A blend of stuff. Skyrim is getting a little tiresome... I don't really have any interest in talking to NPCs (in an RPG?? For shame!), just exploring dungeons and dicing up fools. I started playing Get to The Orange Door again, after a huge update dropped. I'd describe it as a mash of Tron, Titanfall, and Call of Duty. Plays great! Madshot dropped an update as well, will check that out tonight.

Listening to: WOLFCLUB - Summer Lights. It's not summer just yet, but soon...

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Hi Bees! So tired... story of my life. After yesterday's binge eating, I knew I had to whip myself back into shape. And boy did I ever!

Squats: 10 sets! 105 x 5 at max. Not sure why my strength dropped.
Front Squats: 75 x 5.
Paused Squats: 90 x 3.
Romanian Deadlifts: 115 x 5.
Back Extensions: 5 sets of ten.
Leg Curls: 35 x 15.
Also walked 22,000 steps. Yikes!

Will provide a lengthier update next time.

Happy Easter, Bees!

Playing: I reinstalled an old classic: Fallout New Vegas. Basically, I'm on a first-person experience points craze, though I'm shying away from Destiny 2 and Borderlands 3. After installing a few mods (one that expansively adds a ton of locations to the game world), I'm reminded of why I loved the game in the first place. Think I've properly given Fallout 4 a break.

Watching: Still watching Echo 3. It has me intrigued, I just wish it wasn't so high-falootin'.

Listening: Health - High Pressure Dave. Essentially a reworking of the Units song with a very similar name. I find it quite soothing.

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
@JCU Thanks a bunch! Hope you had a great holiday.

Hi Bees! I'm back in action. This weekend we went to visit my grandfather's grave site on the hill. It's still in good repair, thankfully, and it looked like we weren't the only ones there to pay our respects.

Today was my first Push day of the week, and the weight has again been upped 2.5 kg.

Bench Press: AMRAP set of 125 x 7. Tried for 8 reps, but failed. Bleh.
Incline Press: 95 x 10.
Close Grip Press: 95 x 12.
Dumbbell Flyes: 28 x 8.
Dips: Top set of 32.
Machine Extensions: 13 x 10.

Not the greatest workout, but I got some good work done. Had a lesson with my student before dinner that went fairly well.

Now I'm going to kick back and relax with some Pocky and Fallout New Vegas!

Playing: Fallout New Vegas is still occupying my time. It's like there's this vast new playground of fun to play around with and loot goodies, without having to worry about that "find the collectible" crap. I also think that the writing is absolutely exemplary, but given that it's an Obsidian game, that's no surprise.

Watching: Still making my way through Echo 3. Haven't seen any spooky flicks in the meantime...

Listening to: Morch Kovalski - DX 7000. This is a new synth find. I can smell the cigar smoke, tanning oil, and soaked beach sands from here...

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Ox in a china shop!

Hi everyone! Still tired, but still doing my thing. Today was an absolutely murderous back workout.

Deadlifts: 175 x 7. My grip gave way before I could do anymore reps...
Barbell Row: 100 x 5. Keeping it light.
Machine One Armed Rows: 60 x 6.
Lat Pulldown: 70 x 6.
Incline Rows: 28 x 6. Not bad...
Face Pulls: Not sure of the weight, but 8 reasonable reps.

My back strength has really gone down recently. May be consistent with the lack of protein in my diet... we'll see.

Got a ton of classes tomorrow, but after that it should be smooth sailing.

See you round, everyone!

Playing: Still making my way down... err, through Fallout New Vegas. Just smashing my way through encounter after encounter... good fun! Haven't played anything else.

Watching: Continuing on with Echo 3 at the gym. The political/drama scenes are stultifying tosh, but the action scenes are beyond reproach.

Listening to: Big Freedia (feat Kesha) - Chasing Rainbows. Infectiously upbeat!

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Hey everyone! Still knackered, but happy that I went out and got another workout done.

Today was Push Day of week... I've lost count. It will be the final time I follow this program.

Bench Press: 125 x 7. This was a struggle, I admit. Weight just didn't groove...
Incline Press: 95 x 12, I think.
Decline Close Grip Press: 95 x 15. Modest gains in these two lifts.
Dumbbell Flys: 30 x 6.
Flat Dumbbell Curls: 16 x 20.

I'm giving up on the whole linear progression/add weight every week idea for now. I'm not taking in enough protein, and I'm making absolutely no gains. In two weeks I'll be back where I started. So while it's been fun slowly challenging myself, I'm going to try a more regimented and tightly-controlled bench program.

I'm planning to use the Candito 6-week strength program (just the benching component), as it's worked wonders for me in the past. I'll soon have enough money to buy more protein powder, so hopefully I'm on track for more gains.

Have a lesson tomorrow, but otherwise, my weekend is clear. Good thing, because I've just been perpetually tired these few weeks. Looking forward to some recuperation!

Smooth sailing, Bees!

Also, I met a new doggo at the home of one of my students.

20230412_171131 new.jpg

This little fella is Milo! He's a Cavalier/Poodle mix, and very sweet.

Playing: More Fallout New Vegas. Nothing quite like rediscovering an old game. The gunplay (and the general responsiveness of the game) is off, however. You click the mouse to fire a gun on demand, but it takes time for the animations to sync up, which is frustrating. It's likely an engine thing, and I'm pretty used to it by this point. On a tangentially related note, I'm going to replay Fallout 3 sometime in the future (ie when I can afford it). It's been too long!

Watching: Still watching Echo 3. Still doesn't reach it's lofty aspirations, but the action scenes are top-notch.

Listening to: DEADLIFE - Tainted With One Kiss. I'm not particularly a fan of DEADLIFE, as they're fond of building up their songs for up to a minute and a half with ambiance before getting to the main melody. But in this case, what a melody.

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
@JCU He's a real cutie!
Thank you @PetiteSheWolf ! I'll certainly do that.

Hey everyone! Once again tired, but I'm accepting that that may be the sign of a good workout.

Today was Leg day, so I had another challenging workout ahead of me.

Squats: 120 x 5. Whoa! It's been awhile since I've handled this much weight - specifically, since I got sick with Covid back in November. A welcome surprise. You have those days where the heavy weight is just manageable enough, and so you add more, and hit new heights in the process.
Front Squats: 75 x 5. Would that my front squats had followed suit. I've always found these pretty tough.
Paused Squats: 100 x 3.
Good Mornings: Just the bar, for ten reps. I have a gut feeling that adding weight in this exercise is a fool's errand (Bruce Lee agreed, apparently).
Back Extensions: 12 reps.

Walked 18,000 steps today. The weather is muggy, and this means that summer is soon to be upon us.

You made it to the weekend Bees! Be proud!

Playing: Still on Fallout New Vegas. Thinking about moving to Fallout 3 when I've explored as much as I can in FNV. Until the next open world game comes out, anyway. Everspace 2 is on my docket, but I just haven't made the time. It's too easy to pick up and play FNV rather than futz around and learn a new game's controls and gameplay mechanics.

Watching: So for the moment, I've gotten fed up with the artsy-fartsy pretensions of Echo 3, and am watching something new: Cyberpunk Edgerunner. Just finished the first episode; it's an explosion of action and colour that has me excited for what's to come. One quirk - I watched the first episode with Japanese voiceover, and it didn't click with me. Usually I watch anime in Japanese with subtitles, but it just felt odd this time - so much of the incidental details (like text messages) are in English, and I'm used to experiencing Night City that way as well, in the game. So from here on out, I'll listen to the English dub and see how that goes.

Listening to: Kiss - God of Thunder. Adding this one to my workout playlist. Hits like a truck!

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Hey everyone. Still in one piece, active, and sane.

Today is the first day of the Candito strength program (from which I'm adopting my Bench Press workouts).

Bench Press: 115 x 6. This was the final set of the benching part... found it harder than it should've been, but there's still time...
Incline Press: 100 x 7.
Decline Close Grip Press: 100 x 10.
Dumbbell Flys: 60 x 8.
Dips: Top set of 21.
Triceps Pressdown: 13 x 8.

Not me at my strongest. Still, this is the first week of the program, and there are more days to come.

So I finally got around to purchasing the Resident Evil 4 remake. Thoughts below!

Take it easy, Bees!

Playing: One would think that only the RE4make has my eye. Instead, I've been mixing my free time between it and Fallout New Vegas. There's something about the sandbox fun of the latter that will never wear off; I call it a "podcast game" because I can put on a podcast at the same time that I game and just let my attention wander free.

On the other hand, if it's an amusement park ride you're on (this is my analogy for a linear game), it had better be a damned good one, and even 45 minutes in, you know that the Resident Evil 4 remake is one of the best. The mechanics of its predecessor have been overhauled and the attention to detail (eg the change in Leon's pistol stance when enemies come closer) is astounding. There's just the right amount of cheese, but there's more menace than before. I'm definitely looking forward to putting in more hours.

Watching: Cyberpunk Edgerunner is still vastly entertaining. Haven't been watching any late night flicks, but I may rectify that tonight. There's an Adult Swim Christmas horror flick (the name escapes me) that looks pretty interesting. In regards to the horror genre, I have been watching horror short films from Social House Films on youtube: here's one of my faves of theirs.

Listening to: I Really Want to Stay at Your House - Rosa Walton & Hallie Coggins. I heard this in the second episode of Cyberpunk. Apparently, it was in the game as well, though I've never heard it. It's sweet and exuberant.

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
@CODawn Kiss is awesome!

Sleepy Ox. More workout shenanigans that coloured the rest of my day.

Today was Back day.

Deadlifts: 175 x 8. One more rep than before. Nice! However, in the aftermath of the set, I felt heavy fatigue, and this carried on for the rest of the day.
Barbell Rows: 105 x 5.
T-Bar Rows: 85 x 5.
Machine One Armed Rows: 60 x 5.
Incline Rows: 28 x 6.
Lat Pulldowns: 70 x 6.

Another workout done and dusted... just really tired.

Got home, got my lesson planning done, had a yummy chicken and pasta dinner (love you mom!), and now I'm listening to some Sparks as I write this.

Hope your week is going okay, Bees!

Playing: Can't sleep, still need to game! RE4make is still a great experience; from the pacing down to the gunplay. I just finished the lake and that giant frickin' fish, but haven't reached Ashley yet. Also may squeeze in some Fallout New Vegas.

Watching: Cyberpunk Edgerunner at the gym. Didn't watch anything last night. I do remember what it was I intended to watch, it's Adult Swim's Yule Log, which supposedly sends up Christmas with surreal humour. We'll see.

Listening to: Bob & Earl - Harlem Shuffle. This one always jazzes me up!

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
Ah, mom's cooking... Let's face it, for many of us, it is sooooo good both to the papila and to the brain!
(one of my very first memories as a kid is mom bringing me to the hospital some of my grandma's freshly made Breton pancakes, in the insulated foam boxes of that time. I can still smell the butter and sugar.)

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
@PetiteSheWolf Breton pancakes... mmm... That sounds so tasty!

Chest day for the second time this week.

Bench Press: 115 x 6. Not easy, not hard. Just kinda there.
Incline Press: 100 x 8. Not bad!
Decline Close Grip Press: 100 x 12.
Cable Flys: 15 x 10. Haven't done these in years.

Didn't feel great throughout the workout. Tummy was rumbling. Made it through nonetheless, and feeling relaxed at home.

The rainstorm outside is quite comforting. It's going to be a very wet few days, methinks.

I have nothing on my plate until next week, so I'm going to take this weekend to relax and do some gaming and movie watching.

It's almost Friday Bees! Stay the course!

Playing: Of course, RE4make. It boggles my mind how so much thought was put into the makeup of this game; sure, the gameplay is razor-sharp, but the cutscenes are more tasteful than before, and the environments are (disgustingly) gorgeous. I'm inside the castle, and looking forward to more adventures. Been playing FNV as well, but it only consists of 1/3 of my game time, and is slowly losing its appeal; and I might have to find another open-world replacement.

Watching: More Cyberpunk Edgerunner. A little sad knowing that it leads to an unhappy ending (I was spoiled a long time ago), but what a great journey to get there. Still haven't made time to watch any spooky flicks. Unfortunately, Evil Dead Rise is now showing in Hong Kong; maybe I should fly to Taiwan to see it instead! Bah.

Listening to: Eric Brosius - Thief: The Dark Project Intro. If I were a cat burglar, this would be my theme of choice.

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
@Fitato It's dripping (haha me punny!) with atmosphere, which, as you mentioned, makes it perfect for those rainy nights. My stomach wasn't well - maybe something I ate? Seems to be better today.

Today was Leg Day, so more squats, and we all know squats = pain. No PRs today. But that's okay.

Squats: 115 x 5. I couldn't really find the groove today. Not sure why, but I didn't disgrace myself.
Front Squats: 80 x 5. Argh. The pain!
Paused Squats: 90 x 3.
Leg Extensions: 12 x 10.
Back Extensions: 3 sets of 12.

Ended my workout feeling totally floored. Sometimes you really feel it afterward! The walk back home was a bit of a slog, as my legs were rubbery, but I made it!

Tomorrow we're having a nice hotpot dinner; our treat for the weekend.

You've made it to Friday, Bees! Have some fun!

Playing: Got a little bored with FNV, so I uninstalled it. Going to try out some Dying Light 2 to fill the podcast game void. Of course, still steadily playing RE4make. The thought has occurred to me several times that if it isn't one of the best games I've ever played, then it comes quite close. And I'm not very effusive with praise, so that means something.

Watching: Still haven't watched anything late at night. Watching an episode of Edgerunner at the gym.

Listening to: ORAX - Don't Look Back. Another recent synth acquisition, this time from the inimitable ORAX. How did I miss this one? It's got a great, upbeat melody, and that music video is too cute.