Altair's training log

Altair

Good evening, everyone. I am Altair, 33 year old male, and this is my first fitness log.

I am hoping to complete my pre-employment requirements and get hired to begin my school teaching residency next academic year (starting around August in Physical Sciences, 6-12). I'd like to begin Gracie Jiu-Jitsu around that time. I liked Judo when I tried it, and I have academies near me and my potential work places, so it seems like a good fit.

I am beginning with "The Foundation". I've completed Day 1 at Level 1. Plenty of fuel in the tank left, but reasonably good heart rate and a lot of popping noises. Going to find the time to complete this program, see how I feel after it.

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
Welcome :)

Altair

Thank you everyone for your warm welcome.

Today I completed the 2nd day of 'The Foundation'. I didn't send nearly as much time figuring out what the exercises are, but they honestly started to burn around the first set of arm lifts. I thought I had reasonable stregnth because I can move around 50 lbs feed bags, but this was really something different and makes me a lot more self-aware of my physical weakness.

I don't want body builder figure, not even 1940s body builder where it's actually achievable without PEDs. But I don't want to be weak. Not when I want to build a small farm and pursue jiu jitsu.

Speaking of, I confirmed the location of one of the jiu jitsu academies. I want to find the other two. Half a year out at least, but knowledge is knowledge.

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
Bodyweight exercises are difficult in the beginning because you use all your muscles every time you do something but in the end they teach you to use the whole body in unison in the most efficient way :)

Altair

Day 3 of The Foundation. Thighs kinda hurt today before I did it, like a mild tightness. Probably overburdened them yesterday when I did the squat based exercises. But once I started the march steps and high steps I stopped noticing it.

It's back again, of course, but I can see keeping up with the program at Level 1 is very achievable.

Altair

Day 4 of The Foundation. Tendon strength. Did not hurt like the other ones. Also haven't heard popping noises like the first day in the last three, so that might be something good.

I am almost tempted to go to Level 2, but I know that my day will likely involve some form of physicality. I cut down most of a yaupon tree, and I'll need to cut down another one if the weather permits it, and work on building the new chicken coops. I just need to keep with this program, then do an assessment when I'm done to see what I need to do next.

Did not really understand what was meant by the leg swing diagram, and could not find a video representation. Just sort of figured something out to use both sides of the body and went with it. I know I favor my right, I don't want to become lopsided beyond whatever asymmetry people naturally have.

Altair

Day 5, Fast Cardio. It went by quickly. As I do these I notice new things about my body. When I was doing my leg lift, I noticed the tightness in my crotch, just as an example.

Fitness is not the only lifestyle change I'm doing. I'm starting to turn off my computer at night as well, about an hour before I go to bed. Not my phone, not quite yet, but the amount of distractions when I'm trying to sleep goes down a lot.

Got a lot of stuff about 'Liver King' and 'natties' in my YouTube feed. Probably because I was looking into BJJ. Some of them are legitimately interesting documentaries, others are just normal chattering commentaries. Listened to one while doing my workout today, and I got to thinking: who am I comparing myself to? Aside from my peers? I guess it's myself. I've been badly sick before, a few extra pounds are fine, but I've seen what the modern sedentary lifestyle does to people... and I really want to avoid it.