Curry

thinman

"Be Strong - Be Active - Be empowered."
I really enjoy a good curry, plant base or meat.

5 of us went out to an Indian restaurant actually called Curry's, 3 of us went vegetarian with a variety of dishes and another had beef roti. But for me I usually order something I don't normally eat at home and often would be lamb. This time I noticed Indo-Caribbean-styled boneless saucy goat curry, yes! it was fantastic, really recommend. The folks with me had a hesitation about goat meat, somewhat like beef and very tender and moist.

I've had goat curry before at an outdoor food fest from a Jamaican stall, that style was a lot of bones with the meat part, but very good.

Kanary

Amazon Pronouns: she/her
"For the Light! For Victory! For Cake!"
Oooh, I love a good curry.

At home, I'll usually make a vegetarian curry - maybe all veggies, maybe with tofu or chickpeas or even tempeh. Just depends on what I want and what's in the house at the time.

Out, I will usually go for something paneer based if that's available, but I'll sometimes splurge for lamb or goat.

Andi64

from Margareten
Made an easy curry today, or maybe it's a korma, not sure about the difference:
Blitz a couple of garlic cloves with an onion and a thumb-sized knob of ginger to a paste.
Roast some fenugreek and mustard seeds in your favorite oil or fat, till they start to snap, crackle and pop, then add the onion paste and let it take some color.
Add the usual suspects from the spice-drawer: cumin, turmeric, ground coriander, cayenne pepper or curry powder for hotness and a pinch of sugar. Stir till it all comes together and then add 200ml coconut-milk, we want to keep it vegan, and some water. If you have it add a tbsp tamarind. Let simmer for 1/2 to 1 hour, stir occasionally. Add water if its getting too thick.
Check the seasoning.
That's it.
Goes well with a tin of sardines or in our case mackerel. So much for keeping it vegan.
Chopped tomatoes and a handful of coriander leaves give the whole affair a fresh touch.

Last edited:

Heniek

Warrior Posts: 58
"is that the spirit of the age ?"
I use Jamaican curry powder, fry cubed chicken breast that has some powder mixed in it, Bisto's gravy separate, basmati rice. Often fry green pepper and onion but today used broccolli.

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
I really enjoy a good curry, plant base or meat.

5 of us went out to an Indian restaurant actually called Curry's, 3 of us went vegetarian with a variety of dishes and another had beef roti. But for me I usually order something I don't normally eat at home and often would be lamb. This time I noticed Indo-Caribbean-styled boneless saucy goat curry, yes! it was fantastic, really recommend. The folks with me had a hesitation about goat meat, somewhat like beef and very tender and moist.

I've had goat curry before at an outdoor food fest from a Jamaican stall, that style was a lot of bones with the meat part, but very good.
I do miss both Curry's and Sunfest! Excellent food to be had at both!

thinman

I had Goat curries at both Sunfest and Curry's restaurant, Curry's was really fantastic. Sunfest had a lot of bone, so likely is bone broth.

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
I had Goat curries at both Sunfest and Curry's restaurant, Curry's was really fantastic. Sunfest had a lot of bone, so likely is bone broth.
I've had goat curry at Sunfest (my father's choice--I prefer chicken or vegetable curries) too. It was as you say, a lot of bone. I liked the flavour. But I don't like having to pick my food off the bone. At Curry's I would usually get the Madras Chicken or Chicken Vindaloo curry. My father liked their Curry's Shrimp. Curry's also makes excellent veggie samosas, onion bhaji, and garlic naan bread. (I love all of their appetizers! Often we would order Maharani's Teasers and get an order of the garlic naan bread as well.)

thinman

I never order chicken coz I have that at home and go more for lamb dishes, Curry's goat curry is very lean and tender. My daughter and partner are both vegetarian so order such, Krishna's on Dundas Street are a great vegetarian South Indian restaurant. At Krishna's I get the meal that includes 2 curry's of your choices, I had paneer mutter and dal makhani, comes on a metal tray with sections like a TV dinner, the Indian coffee is fantabulous.