(Game) Have you made this dish?

Redline

DAREBEE Team
DAREBEE Team
Ninja from Marseille, France
Yes I have! I made one no later than yesterday, actually. :LOL:

I like making quiches because they're easy to share, you get a decent meal out of them, and my kids also like them. I usually make mine with vegetables (such as courgettes and onions), tofu and/or smoked trout or salmon.

Right, my turn:
Have you made vegan chocolate cake? :eatall:

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
lol @Redline yes, yes I have. Plant-based sweets are really easy to make and they often taste better than traditional. Well, in my opinion :eatall: Also,it's difficult to go wrong with a chocolate cake... I mean, it's chocolate. The more the better.

My turn:

Have you ever made an Egg Benedict at home?
...And can anyone tell me how to make one Vegan...?

Sif_Shepard

Fighter from the Normandy SR-2
Pronouns: she/her
"ad astra per aspera"
I have made that a long time ago before I went vegan. I feel like for a vegan version JUST Egg would be great, though I know some recipes use tofu instead. I search for a lot of my most used recipes on Pinterest and there are a couple for vegan eggs benedict. I would probably use JUST Egg, vegan ham or vegan bacon slices for the Canadian bacon, and one of recipes for the sauce, I'm guessing it's probably partly cashew based.

Have you ever made Bhel Puri?

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
"Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today"
>Bhel Puri
I had no idea what that is and looked it up. Holy cow, that looks complicated to make and I wouldn't even know where to get some of those ingredients. I don't have the best experiences with Indian cuisine, only had it once in a restaurant and there was a long curly hair in it :oops:

Have you ever made Rosa Manna?

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
"Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today"
@Sif_Shepard yeah, that's it basically. I know it as cooking semolina in cherry juice and sugar, letting it cool, whipping it up with a handmixer until fluffy. Then put a portion into a bowl and eat with milk or heavy cream. I used to make it a lot in the summer :LOL:
I'll leave the question about Pad Thai open for now, maybe someone else wants to play.

Louve Rose

from Here and Now(here)
Pronouns: She, her
"In order to succeed, we must first believe that we can. (Nikos Kazantzakis)"
Is the game still going on ?
I made lacto-fermented chutney using peaches, bell peppers, garlic, onions, black pepper, mustard seeds, cilantro seeds, fermented in brine for several months.

Have you made French/Belgian fries ?

OJJJEM

Mother of Dragons Posts: 583
No, I have never made homemade ramen. However, I have cooked quality ramen noodles in homemade mushroom broth.

Have you ever made Miyeok-guk? (seaweed soup)

Louve Rose

from Here and Now(here)
Yes, I have made miyeok-guk but I didn't know it was an "official" dish.

Has somebody made baked marzipan ?

OJJJEM

NOOO!!!! BUT I SO BADLY WANT TO MAKE IT!!!
(Miyeok-guk is an official dish to me... it's the official ULTIMATE Birthday dish, recovering from having a baby dish, and you're super sick dish!)

Has anybody ever made chicken cordon bleu?

Louve Rose

from Here and Now(here)
recovering from having a baby dish, and you're super sick dish
I know that I'll be out of the game with this message, but I have to say that I did this dish when I was sick with pneumonia, and I was craving for seaweed, so I did this soup without knowing it was good for recovery.

(And no, I never did chicken cordon bleu)

OJJJEM

I know that I'll be out of the game with this message, but I have to say that I did this dish when I was sick with pneumonia, and I was craving for seaweed, so I did this soup without knowing it was good for recovery.

(And no, I never did chicken cordon bleu)
You're welcome to bring yourself back into the game by adding your own "have you ever made (dish)" question to your replies and comments. ;)

Have you ever prepared angels on horseback or devils on horseback? Also, I am convinced that they screwed up the naming of those things! HAHAHA!

OJJJEM

No, I've never made that. It's on my bucket list of foods to cook that I always say I'm gonna cook but end up not doing...

Has anybody ever made the pufferfish platter? Fun fact: It's #1 as the world's most complicated dish to prepare.... needless to say, I've never made it, never eaten it, and will likely never encourage it... HAHAHA!

Louve Rose

from Here and Now(here)
The only fish platter I've made is battered fish and chips with (British) marrowfat peas.

Have you made Shepherds Pie ?
If Shepherd pie is the same as cottage pie, yes, I have done it before.

Have you made endive with gratin ? ("chicons au gratin" in Belgian French)

Andi64

from Margareten
If Shepherd pie is the same as cottage pie, yes, I have done it before.

Have you made endive with gratin ? ("chicons au gratin" in Belgian French)
I think shepherd's pie is with minced lamb and cottage pie with beef.

I have made endive with gratin ('witlof met ham en kaas' as my Dutch wife calls it), right now for dinner:

gratin.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion @Louve Rose. It was excellent! I used Räßkäse, which has a lot of punch and red endives. For the sauce I blitzed one endive (roasted), some double cream and 30g of the cheese with a garlic clove. More liquid than a bechamel, but a bit lighter.
Let's keep it French:

Have you ever made a croque monsieur?

Last edited:

Louve Rose

from Here and Now(here)
shepherd's pie is with minced lamb and cottage pie with beef.
Oops ! So I was wrong.

Have you ever made a croque monsieur?
I make croque-monsieur quite often but I let the game for the others.
Your "witloof met ham and kaas" recipe seems yummy ! I don't eat that because I don't like endives but in the winter I make the dish once a week for my husband, I'll try your sauce for him.

Anek

Sorceress from Bavaria, Germany
Pronouns: She/her
"If the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember Cedric Diggory."
I have made it! Both the meat version years ago, and the vegan version these days. I love bolognese sauce!

Have you ever made boef bourgignon?

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
Yes, did some boeuf bourguignon, long simmered, and trying to chose quality wine :) Lovely dish from the "cuisine bourgeoise", kind of classical / family cooking, not the hardest dishes, but considered already elaborate. You could say Sunday family cooking.

ETA : have you ever cooked Moules Marinières ?

Logan

Gladiator from Mount Carmel, Pennsylvania, US
Pronouns: He/Him
"Once more, once more."
Yes a long time ago. We then served it with pasta though. So ended up as Italian dinner with French sauce?

What about ratatouille in the style shown in the animated movie? It's one of the most meaty tasting vegetarian dishes. Takes time but it's worth it.

Disney Pixar Food GIF

Sif_Shepard

Fighter from the Normandy SR-2
Pronouns: she/her
"ad astra per aspera"
I especially love them to top on vegan-style 'sloppy joes' I like to make with impossible meat.
That sounds delicious!

I have made taquitos, was actually one of my staple foods not that long ago! I'd make a filling mixture with black beans, vegan cheese, onions, jalapenos, cholula hot sauce, and taco spices and roll a couple soft corn tortilla taquitos for lunch and air fry them. The filling kept for like a week and I'd just make them all the time. So good, haven't had them in a while actually and now I really want some :D

Have you ever made Muhammara with fresh pita bread (or either on their own)?

Fitato

Mystic from Kansas
"Hello"
Nope, but that sounds delicious. It'd probably hurt my stomach though lol.

Ever made your own potato chips?

Fitato

Mystic from Kansas
"Hello"
Never made mardi gras food! But most carnivals offer corn on the cob, and I've made that at least haha!

Meatloaf?

thinman

"Be Strong - Be Active - Be empowered."
Nowadays we make individual meatloaves baked on parchment paper.

Yesterday I made Chana Dal (split desi chickpeas) soup.