Hyper mobile elbows

Jackieyo

Wondering if anyone else here has hyper mobile elbows and how this affects their lifting?
My elbow go well past 180 degrees to lock-out. I do lock out for all pressing movements but suspect that this limits my strength progression (I just hit a bench PR of 62.5kg or 137lb for 8 reps and have been lifting consistently for over 3.5 years). I've never had any issues with elbow soreness or pain.

useful links for leisure time:

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, I have hyper mobile elbows. It affects any exercise involving extending my arms, like bicep extensions, planks, push-ups, etc.

I asked about this in the previous forum a week or two ago, and here's what some people have said: https://hive.darebee.com/info/868996-how-far-to-extend-arms

@Jackieyo

if for some reason you are unable to access that page, these are the replies I got:

Fremen: "Maybe try to extend your arms more slowly, the "hit" to the joints would be lighter.
Between fully extending my arms and hurting myself I would definitely opt to do the exercise with a range of motion that is safer for me"

TopNotch: "For me, "fully extended" means going as far as a joint would normally go, so not...

Hekewika

Mercenary from North America
Pronouns: It/Its
"INPRG"
Yes, I have hyper mobile elbows. It affects any exercise involving extending my arms, like bicep extensions, planks, push-ups, etc.

I asked about this in the previous forum a week or two ago, and here's what some people have said: https://hive.darebee.com/info/868996-how-far-to-extend-arms

@Jackieyo

if for some reason you are unable to access that page, these are the replies I got:

Fremen: "Maybe try to extend your arms more slowly, the "hit" to the joints would be lighter.
Between fully extending my arms and hurting myself I would definitely opt to do the exercise with a range of motion that is safer for me"

TopNotch: "For me, "fully extended" means going as far as a joint would normally go, so not hyper-extended. You can feel that point where beyond is hyper. Stop at that point. I also find that in hyper-extension, there is less strength."

AceofSwords: "Another person with hyper-extendable elbows here. I had a martial arts instructor tell me that a fully-expended arm for a punch was a straight arm. If force gets bled off at any angle, you lose power. It took practice to find where straight was and end there every time. Once I got that, my arms didn't hurt as much after class, which was especially good once we started sparring."

Last edited:
Solution