In Defense of Fake Meats

thinman

"Be Strong - Be Active - Be empowered."
I went to a burger place and they had the Impossible burger which I've not tried and really liked it.

priest5.jpg

photo: not my actual burger, mine was a bit more saucy.

thinman

@MadamMeow I bought a box of 6 Beyond Burgers frozen, they had the Impossible burgers in a 2 pack fresh but cost a bit more than the BB.

MadamMeow

Fae from Central NJ
"I see my vision burn, I feel my memories fade with time, but Im too young to worry..."
@MadamMeow I bought a box of 6 Beyond Burgers frozen, they had the Impossible burgers in a 2 pack fresh but cost a bit more than the BB.

I have to keep my eyes out for it, thanks!

In your opinion, does one taste better than the other? I wonder why the prices would be that different. I'm finding that on the internet as well.

MadamMeow

Fae from Central NJ
"I see my vision burn, I feel my memories fade with time, but Im too young to worry..."
Thank you, that is good to know!

And I am the same. Do not want to change completely from beef. When I had the beyond burger, I had steak the night before. So also just want to mix it up and be lighter after a heavy day.

A few years ago, I did this just by switching to ground turkey sometimes. I will try the Impossible to see how that is too.

It's nice to have more options!

thinman

There's a few restaurants I go to that make veggie burgers from various beans base types, one place a falafel patty burger.

new-famous-burger_700x.png
A veggie burger made like a Big Mackers.

Deadoks

Viking from Belgium
"Berserker"
I just don't understand...
Why some people that don't want to eat meat are searching for any food that look or taste like meat?
And so you have the industry creating ultra processed product to make fake cheese, fake meat etc...
It's going totally to the opposite of the original idea...

So the industry found another way to gain a lot of money and create shit products that you eat by saying I'm vegan, I'm vegetarian,... But at the end these products are creating as much pollution as the industrial meat product...

I see no good reason in defense of fake meat and even of fake anything!

thinman

@Deadoks try the 30 day vegan challenge. Vegan cheese is made using cashews, no different than dairy made Gouda. Soy (unsweetened) milk is a great alternative to animal milk. Supermarkets nowadays do have frozen burgers with natural ingredients like beans etc. I sometimes buy a vegan protein powder which I think is better than whey and zero cholesterol that whey has plenty of.

Last edited:

Deadoks

Viking from Belgium
"Berserker"
@thinman nope I don't do that.
Because first I think that full vegan is not healthy, but as I think also thay full carnivore diet is not good as well.
And second if I do I eat cashew and not cheese made of cashew (the industrial process to make it is not natural a'd thinking that if it's made for vegan it's respectful and healthy is a dream, industries want money only)S oy milk, I prefer almond milk but it's only because soy is soooo transformed that I prefer avoiding it all.B urger pade of beans... Why just eat beans then...I don't trust supermarket for Vegan and Carnivore diet anyway.
But speaking of terms like cheese, burger, meat when speaking vegan is for my just (sorry but) stupid.You want to eat vegan, eat full natural product that are vegan don't try to make something looking like and tasting like meat or cheese because you don't eat those!
Does any people eating meat transform a salad for it to look and taste like meat? Nope! Poeple should eat what thier diet choise is and most naturally possible and they should stop trying to follow the industry that found a new vibe to make more mo'ey with shit products.

thinman

Years back a Yoga teacher of mine made Vegan cheese from her home, her small business took off . . .

Nuts For Cheese™ was born in 2015 at a farmer's market in London, Ontario out of a passion to create and share delicious, plant-based cheeses with others. What started as a solo venture has grown into a dedicated team helping to craft a line of artisanal dairy-free products that are now available across Canada (and beyond).

Sharoumane

Scout from Paris, France
Pronouns: they/them
"Step by step in all things"
@thinman nope I don't do that.
Because first I think that full vegan is not healthy, but as I think also thay full carnivore diet is not good as well.
And second if I do I eat cashew and not cheese made of cashew (the industrial process to make it is not natural a'd thinking that if it's made for vegan it's respectful and healthy is a dream, industries want money only)S oy milk, I prefer almond milk but it's only because soy is soooo transformed that I prefer avoiding it all.B urger pade of beans... Why just eat beans then...I don't trust supermarket for Vegan and Carnivore diet anyway.
But speaking of terms like cheese, burger, meat when speaking vegan is for my just (sorry but) stupid.You want to eat vegan, eat full natural product that are vegan don't try to make something looking like and tasting like meat or cheese because you don't eat those!
Does any people eating meat transform a salad for it to look and taste like meat? Nope! Poeple should eat what thier diet choise is and most naturally possible and they should stop trying to follow the industry that found a new vibe to make more mo'ey with shit products.
Careful not to confuse what you think/believe with actual facts about vegan diets. They can be perfectly healthy.
Do consider also that vegan diets can be homemade and much better than supermarket-bought ingredients or meals (you cannot make a decent cheese with store-bought almond milk for instance). Reading your comments it seems you already have it: the issue is not the vegan diet, it's where you get your food and how said food is made, regardless of your diet. Vegan and vegetarian stores with great ingredients do exist, the issue is the price and how accessible these stores are.
Eating healthily, regardless of diet, has always been a struggle of class and income.

Regarding looking for things that taste like meat, calling it stupid is short-sighted. My stomach cannot process red meat anymore for health reasons but I've always liked its taste, should I prevent myself from seeking things that mimic that which I love? Same issue for having developed lactose intolerance with age. I'm French, so preventing myself from eating cheese is nonsensical - and as my fellow frogs know, cheeses can be vegetal with a superb variety of ingredients and tastes. It's a bit weird to see people arguing about so-called fake cheeses when the entire process is literal cheese-making.
Everyone should enjoy what they want, how they want. Even better if it helps reduce general pollution or animal cruelty but I won't police what others eat.

You include a lot of "people should" in your discourse but you do not seem to pay much attention to the people in question. A bit more kindness towards understanding others could go a long way.

thinman

This restaurant was called "Globally Local" and loved their restaurant downtown and they had a food truck at park events, now became "Odd Burger" . . .

My local health food shop sells their vegan plant base food frozen, I bought a bag of 4 (pretty well a fave).

ScreenShot2023-10-03at4.17.51PM_740x.png