Life, the Universe and Everything

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
I am currently training twice a day and it's very similar to the Hard Reset program: cardio in the morning and strength training in the evening.

I run for 20 minutes every morning after I walk the dogs. Then I do ~ 5 minutes of ab work. Aaaand every day I have to make myself do that 5 minutes. Every day I have the same discussion with myself whether I should just skip it and get on with my day. It used to be the same with running but after three years my brain finally gave up so I no longer even question that. Now my brain tries to skip the ab work. Once the habit kicks in, it'll be fine but for now... it's a ridiculous battle. Every. Time.

The morning run is about the same every day but I vary the ab work. Every other day or so it's some kind plank variation for the total of 5 minutes. I used to be able to hold the plank for that long but now I am back at 2:30 in one go for the elbow plank and then I switch to a different pose while keeping the body upright. All and all, I am slowly improving. So, it's either a plank or a Swiss ball workout with crunches and rolls or kettlebell-based mini circuit. I just time it to fit the whole thing into the 5 minutes.

Then I have breakfast :watermelon: Or brunch, more like brunch.

The work. Work. More work. Aaand work some more.

My dinner is at ~6PM and then train at ~8PM. It's usually some kind of strength oriented workout. It's not very exciting and it's not very long ~ 20-30 minutes or so.

Sleep and repeat :twirl:

Last edited:

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
:v: Morning Workout
20 minute run:
good pace, did not die.
5-Minute ab work: 40 crunches, 20 Swiss ball tuck-ins x 3 sets

Breakfast
potatoes, smoked tofu, mushrooms, salad, toasted tortillas and beetroot dip
It's still warm enough to have breakfast on the balcony. Yay! I feel like we are going to have a really cold winter this year so the longer we get to enjoy the sun the better.

Dinner
tofu & broccoli curry, rice, naan bread and non-alcoholic beer

:v: Evening Workout: Strength Circuit
16 barbell reverse lunges
12 bicep curls
8 upright rows
8 lateral raises
10 pulleys
x
5 sets

Last edited:

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
20 minute run
: 20 minutes, slow start but I picked up the pace after the first 5 minutes, good job Neila, get a virtual cookie
ab Work: 5 minute multi-plank

Brunch
air-fried mushrooms, tempeh, leftover rice, salad, pickled onions
figs and nectarines for dessert + grapefruit juice
20220921_105958.jpg

Dinner
a pile of oven roasted vegetables and pea-protein eggplant-based bites with tahini sauce + cranberry juice
20220921_185508.jpg

:v: Evening Workout
10 barbell clean and press x 7 sets

Last edited:

Redline

DAREBEE Team
DAREBEE Team
Ninja from Marseille, France
That looks delicious indeed. :aww:
Now, I often eat tofu, TVP and seitan, and I enjoy them all (even though they usually require some preparation to make them tasty), but Tempeh is something I've never got used to. Do you have a special way of cooking it? Or have you just learned to enjoy it as it is?

Last edited:

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
@Redline thanks! I am one of the weird people who likes tempeh :amused: but honestly, if you have an air-fryer with a paddle like this:

tefal.jpg

- all of your tempeh and tofu (and mushrooms!!! all the mushrooms) are pretty much sorted out. I throw everything in with a tablespoon of soy sauce and it's done in 15 minutes. Tofu and tempeh come out crispy and golden but soft on the inside. The trick with tofu is to break it using your hands rather than just cut it into cubes. The shape makes all the difference! :cool:

Sif_Shepard

Fighter from the Normandy SR-2
Pronouns: she/her
"ad astra per aspera"
Steaming or lightly simmering tempeh for about 10 minutes and then marinating and/or cooking like you normally would can help it be less bitter. Plus if you steam it there's the added bonus that it'll make your kitchen smell almost like fresh bread. Air frying it is great. It's really good in stews or curry.

Sif_Shepard

"ad astra per aspera"
Oh yes, bbq tempeh is delicious too! I haven't noticed much improvement with marinade absorption to be honest, but I'm often too impatient for marinades unless it's tofu. I do think it makes it taste better though. I like seasoning and pan or air frying it best, either in cubes for heartier meals or strips for sandwiches. My wife makes a delicious coconut curry, and for the protein we did tempeh last time with potatoes and it was amazing.

Sif_Shepard

"ad astra per aspera"
Same! I'll do all the prep but I just forget about marinades. Though my wife's coworker recently gave us some marinated chinese tofu his wife makes and it was so insanely good I've been thinking about it more lately lol!

Haha so good right?! I normally do most of the cooking but coconut curry is like my wife's signature dish so it's a double treat when I get to have it for dinner :D

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
I gave my mother an air-fryer and since then she has been doing everything with that but my mother eats much less healthy :LOL:

Anek

Sorceress from Bavaria, Germany
Pronouns: She/her
"If the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember Cedric Diggory."
Tempeh is my favorite! And I started making my own some years ago and I never looked back... I must say, I never steam it anymore, when I did I didn't notice any difference. But then, I love bitter things so maybe that plays a role.

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
:v: Morning Training
20 minute run
, slow start but picked up halfway
ab work: 10 knee tucks on the bars x 7 sets

Brunch
Gluten-free pasta* with basil walnut pesto, green beans and peas
Protein yogurt with mixed berries and coconut flakes + coconut water

20220922_105851.jpg

* I got a free sample of this pasta at a local shop. It’s some kind of mix of oat, rice and corn. It was alright but I wouldn’t buy it to be honest. It was tasty because it was coated in homemade pesto (I grow my own herbs and the basil is completely out of control).

Dinner
Salad, lentil mushroom loaf with tomato sauce + pomegranate juice

20220922_181723.jpg

I don’t drink alcohol so I basically have juices in wine glasses for the experience. I gave up alcohol about 3 years ago (about the same time I went plant based) because the drawbacks significantly outweigh the benefits. I don’t really get the buzz out of it, I just get hangovers and headaches so it was not a difficult thing to do :sus:

100 side leg raises
100 back leg raises

:flex:

Last edited:

TheLibrarian

I would be very much interested in the recipe / link for that mushroom loaf. :grab:

About juice and alcohol, makes me always think on this scene (and some others, but that in particular) which became something of a reoccuring easter-egg in some Star Trek episodes from that point on. :LOL:
Even though I still drink alcohol, I like to use my wine glasses for non alcoholic beverages as well, there is no right or wrong glass for this or that in my opinion.

Amazing for almost 3 years. Kudos! :cheer:

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
I would be very much interested in the recipe / link for that mushroom loaf.
It's got a ton of ingredients but the prep is pretty simple (although it is a two-step process)

Throw the following into a pressure cooker for 20 minutes:
2 cups lentils
1 pack of fresh mushrooms ~ 13oz / 400g
2 cups water
1/2 cup walnuts or sunflower seeds

It all gets nuked in there, then you mix it well with a spoon so it's more or less combined, then add the following:
1 cup flour, any type
1 cup protein powder (I use pea protein for this)
1/2 cup ground flaxseeds (or more flour)
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 tbsps molasses
4 tbsps nutritional yeast (optional)

And the following for taste:
salt
cumin
garlic powder
paprika

Mix everything again and empty onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Shape into a flat rectangle using your hands and bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 180C. Allow to cool. Then slice and freeze whatever you are not planning on eating right away. To make the topping combine tomato paste with molasses, vinegar and salt for taste. I pretty much eyeball the whole thing from start to finish. It comes out delicious even if you change half of the ingredients. The best thing about it is that it doesn't take a lot of effort with the pressure cooker. It maybe takes 5 minutes to prep the whole thing but it's delicious :amused:

Oh yeah, it makes a ton, a whole baking tray.

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
20 minute run
, fast pace, wow, I believe I can fly.
5 minute multiplank:
3 minute elbow plank
30sec side plank
30sec side plank
30sec side plank
30sec side plank

Brunch
Potatoes, soy sausages, kale and cucumber salad
Kamut tortillas with beetroot & radish spread (store-bought)
Coconut water

20220923_111528.jpg

I take vitamins with my breakfast. Currently I take 2 pills: B12 and Calcium & Magnesium combo.

Dinner
“The Cabbage Nest” and coconut water
My favorite thing to do with a whole cabbage is to quarter it and steam it in a pressure cooker then serve it with rice and TVP. There are 4 layers to this: steamed cabbage (5 minutes in a pressure cooker), rice, TVP soaked in tomato sauce with molasses and spices and a yogurt sauce (soy yogurt, dried dill, vinegar and salt).

20220923_174055.jpg

OMG. And it takes 5 minutes to prep everything since I use rice cooker for the rice and I don’t have to watch it.

After work I spend 2 hours on my engineering project: a Korean style slide-out shelf for kitchen equipment. It kinda worked… well, there were a few issues and I will have to finish it tomorrow - I will have to shorten the shelf - but overall I am pretty happy with the result! I have a tiny kitchen so I get creative with every little corner.

Last edited:

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
20 minute run
, meh pace
mandatory ab work
50 climbers x 2 sets

Breakfast
Potato cucumber salad with air-fried chickpeas and avocado sauce* + coconut water
*avocado blended with water 1:3 ratio, vinegar, dried dill and salt

20220924_102604.jpg

Random thought: I love potatoes.

Dinner
Stone-baked pizza & non-alcoholic beer
Toppings: mushrooms, zucchini, kidney beans, tofu and bell peppers.

20220924_175231.jpg

I make the dough in a breadmaker - it takes 45 minutes. In the meantime I air-fry the toppings and preheat the pizza stone. I saw on the Epicurious YouTube channel that you should add the sauce last to prevent the crust from being soggy. Life. Changing.

The secret ingredient in the dough is my sourdough starter. It is now 5 years old, I named it Capricorn 2. I still can’t believe I kept it alive all this time but I am glad I did. I make bread fairly often these days and I always add it to the mix.

:x: No Evening Workout
No training tonight. I am taking a break and having a cozy night in. Yay for movie night.

Last edited:

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
20 minute run
, took a while to warm up but I picked up the pace towards the end
5 minute multiplank:
2 minutes elbow plank
1 minute side plank
1 minute side plank
30 seconds raised leg elbow plank

Brunch
Pancakes with powdered sugar on top, apple slices & walnuts
Soy yogurt with protein powder and mixed berries + coconut water

20220925_111109.jpg

Dinner
Korean-Style spread:
rice, sweet & sour tofu, air-fried zucchini, spicy green beans & garlic, kimchi and sprouted beans + coconut water

20220925_181630.jpg

I made rice in a rice cooker. In the meantime, I air-fried zucchini, then tofu and then green beans & garlic. I had kimchi and sprouted beans in the fridge (both are store-bought).

:v: Evening Training

Circuit
:
16 barbell reverse lunges
12 bicep curls
8 upright rows
8 lateral raises
10 pulley

X 5 sets

Last edited:

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
Morning Workout

:v: 20 minute run, good pace, relatively easy run
:v: ab work:
30 Swiss ball crunches
10 Swiss ball tuck-in rolls
3 sets

Brunch
quinoa, BBQ tempeh and salad + coconut juice
pomegranate from my tree for dessert

20220926_112017.jpg

I fried my brains working all day and then I spent 2 hours cleaning the house. Every time I clean the bathroom I think - “it doesn’t look too bad…” Then I finish and I can’t believe I lived in such filth. Every. Time. My Oura ring told me I was plenty active today so I have that going for me.

Dinner
roasted butternut squash and broccoli
cannellini beans with TVP in tomato sauce
1 epic slice of bougatsa* with powdered sugar

20220926_180043.jpg

* Bougatsa is a traditional Greek custard pie. This is my first time making one and I had to adjust the recipe to make it plant-based. OMG, I am in heaven. Last time I had it was years ago and it turned out so delicious! I used almond milk, agave syrup, flour and ground flax seeds to make the custard. I had a ready store-bought phyllo pastry all ready to go. It turned out PERFECT.

:v: 20 minutes sauna
My first sauna of the season! Yay!

Last edited:

Fitato

Mystic from Kansas
"Hello"
Every day I have the same discussion with myself whether I should just skip it and get on with my day. It used to be the same with running but after three years my brain finally gave up so I no longer even question that. Now my brain tries to skip the ab work. Once the habit kicks in, it'll be fine but for now... it's a ridiculous battle. Every. Time.

How long have you been doing the daily 5-minute ab workouts?

Three years for your brain to get used to a new routine sounds really insane and difficult, I applaud you for keeping it up for so long despite your brain suggesting to skip days.

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
:v:Morning Workout
20 minute run
- I flew with the gods today, fats pace, epic run
mandatory ab work: 5 minute multiplank:
3 minute elbow plank
30 seconds side plank
30 seconds side plank
1 minute elbow plank

Brunch
Buddha bowl: steamed potatoes, smoked tofu, tomato, cucumber & bell pepper salad, pickled onions topped with tahini dressing + protein kale & apple smoothie

20220927_111228.jpg

Dinner
Spaghetti with protein lentil bites and tomato sauce!

20220927_175604.jpg

…I normally ask myself “how can I add veggies to this?” but I just felt like comfort food tonight.

:v:Evening Workout

Last edited:

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
I had to be elsewhere all morning so - no running today! By the time I came back home it was already 11:30. I quickly threw some food together and enjoyed the last of the sunlight on the balcony.

Brunch
Soy sausages, steamed potatoes, cucumber and tomato salad, ready salsa

20220928_112145.jpg

:v: I took a break during the day and did 45 minutes on the elliptical.

Dinner
One pot chili! I threw the following into a pressure cooker for 15 minutes:
1 can kidney beans, 1 cup frozen cauliflower, 1 cup frozen green beans, ½ cup frozen carrots, ½ cup frozen sweet corn, ½ cup frozen peas, 1 cup TVP, 1 tbsp molasses, ½ cup tomato sauce, spices (salt, chili, cayenne, black pepper, cumin, garlic powder, dried dill) and 3 cups of water.
+ toasted tortillas + almond-based vegan cheese (it was amazing!)

20220928_180330.jpg

I try to avoid snacking during the day if at all possible. By the time I came back home with the doggos in the evening, I was so hungry I don't remember eating. There was food and then there was an empty bowl and crumbs.

:v: 20 minute sauna

Last edited:

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
20 minute run
, fast pace, good job - look at you go, you.
mandatory ab work 5 minute multiplank:
2 minute elbow plank
1:30 side elbow plank
1:30 side elbow plank

Brunch
Air-fried tempeh with salsa, quinoa, cucumber tomato salad + vanilla protein beetroot smoothie

20220929_111233.jpg

Dinner
Cauliflower & cannellini bean soup with re-hydrated air-fried mushrooms
Freshly baked bread with plant-based butter

20220929_180840.jpg

The bread wasn’t my best work but it was still delicious. I forgot to put it on in advance and by the time I remembered I could only use the rapid option in the breadmaker. It was still very tasty - it just wasn’t as fluffy as usual. I use sourdough starter, some protein powder and nuts and seeds to make my bread a bit more nutritious. It makes me feel better making it so often!

10 barbell deadlift and clean
x 7 sets

Have a brilliant day, everyone!!!!

:loveu:

Last edited:

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
Morning Workout

:v: 20 minute run - acceptable pace, there there.
:v: mandatory ab work:

Brunch
Air-fried mushrooms, smoked tofu, cucumbers, avocado and kidney beans in tomato sauce + toasted tortillas and a grapefruit juice

20220930_105058.jpg

I also managed to get some Vitamin D in the sun! Yay!

Dinner
Pizza: zucchini, tofu, kidney beans, mushrooms, tomato sauce and vegan cheese + non-alcoholic beer

20220930_180454.jpg

:x: No evening workout
:v: 30 minute sauna

Have an awesome day everyone!!!! This is the end of the day for me here in Greece. See you tomorrow!

:loveu:

Last edited:

OJJJEM

Mother of Dragons Posts: 583
I'm sure you already know this, but add garlic and cucumber to your yogurt and dill sauce from that cabbage recipe, and you've got tzatziki sauce. I imagine it would go well with savory TVP and yield a bit of a Mediterranean flavor... hopefully, resembling gyros with the right seasonings... Thought it'd be a fun twist for you if you haven't tried it already.

OJJJEM

Mother of Dragons Posts: 583

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
20 minute run
- good pace, I am happy with it
mandatory ab work: 5 minute multiplank:
2 minutes elbow plank
1 minute side elbow planks
1 minute side elbow planks

Brunch
Caesar salad: air-fried tofu, roasted broccoli, cucumbers, yogurt mustard sauce and almond flakes
+ toasted tortilla + grapefruit juice

20221001_112715.jpg

Dinner
Plant-Based Moussaka: potatoes, zucchini and eggplant, TVP mince in tomato sauce and bechamel sauce. + grape juice

20221001_174542.jpg

I make the bechamel sauce using soy milk, flour, olive oil and ground flaxseeds.

Last edited: