Should I hold a plank first?

Zeugma

Alchemist Posts: 38
"And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."
My current BMI is 25.4, and I am already working to take it down somewhere between 20 to 23.

My upper body looks bigger than the lower. I like doing holding planks very much and can do hold up to 100 seconds easily. I wonder if I should do lower body exercises first and then do hold a planks or plank first approach will be a better choice? The lower body exercises list includes jumping jacks, squats, lunges, and some stretches. I don't do cardio at all except for some brisk walking.

I would appreciate some feedback and recommendations.

Last edited:
Solution
@iambozdar the order you do things influences the outcome by determining the level of intensity you can bring to bear. Planks are relatively fixed in terms of intensity, it is what it is, each time. So, if you want to be able to bring more intensity to lower body exercises they should be tackled first, when you're fresh and then hold a plank. If you want to, each time, increase the amount of time you hold a plank (which is how you determine its intensity) then it should be tackled first. The decision will be made based on your goals and what you want to achieve for yourself. I hope this helps.

Zeugma

"And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."
Any help? I am still wondering if it should be planks first or lower body exercises first...???

Damer

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Warrior Monk from Terra
Pronouns: He/Him
@iambozdar the order you do things influences the outcome by determining the level of intensity you can bring to bear. Planks are relatively fixed in terms of intensity, it is what it is, each time. So, if you want to be able to bring more intensity to lower body exercises they should be tackled first, when you're fresh and then hold a plank. If you want to, each time, increase the amount of time you hold a plank (which is how you determine its intensity) then it should be tackled first. The decision will be made based on your goals and what you want to achieve for yourself. I hope this helps.

Solution

Zeugma

@Damer I prefer first to choose lower body exercises as I want to focus more on the lower body and then hold a plank to strengthen the core. Your feedback helped me to make the decision. I did not know anything about relevant intensity adjustments before. Thank you very much.

Last edited:

GrSophie33

My current BMI is 25.4, and I am already working to take it down somewhere between 20 to 23.

My upper body looks bigger than the lower. I like doing holding planks very much and can do hold up to 100 seconds easily. I wonder if I should do lower body exercises first and then do hold a planks or plank first approach will be a better choice? The lower body exercises list includes jumping jacks, squats, lunges, and some stretches. I don't do cardio at all except for some brisk walking.

I would appreciate some feedback and recommendations.
Hello, i'm a fitness coach and the answer is: when you train lower body you need more intensity that's why want to hit that part first, and then you finish with an all-round exercise (plank)