Snacks & Snack Ideas

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
I try to avoid snacking if at all possible these days but if I do snack I try to go for something nutritious like fresh fruit or nuts. I also make my own trail mixes to have on hand so I have healthier choices to fall back on. Plus, they have a long shelf life and I don't need to use them up quickly. My two favorite mixes are:

1) white almonds, dried cranberries and coconut flakes
2) toasted peanuts, black chocolate squares and sliced dates

I also have an air-popcorn machine. It's super handy! I love LOVE pop corn. Once a week I make a large bowl of air popped popcorn for the movie night. I pair it with some nuts, cranberries and coconut flakes & a large mug of tea.

Sometimes I have some chocolate with my coffee but that's rare.

:drink:

JohnStrong

Guardian from Alberta
"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates"
Do you snack between meals?
Yes, most days I do.

What do you usually snack on?
1-2 figs. Or an apple. If I'm particularly hungry I may prepare a bowl of a few segments of pepperoni, green olives, and marble cheese but that's rare. Typically low-carb, minimally processed foods.

What's your favorite snack?
Apples!

Do you buy snacks or make your own?
My wife and I are the type of eaters that will simply EAT everything shortly after it's made, lol - thus we try to keep our snack foods very basic, healthy, and minimally satisfying (if that makes sense). We've learned our lessons on buying a "bag o' snacks" - they just get quickly devoured and we shake our heads at each other.

OJJJEM

Mother of Dragons Posts: 583
My favorite snack is actually my most common breakfast: a clementine with 2 servings of pecans and 2 Niagara brand peanut clusters... Literally the only peanut clusters I can get local right now that doesn't look like it's been dipped in wax.

I also like making pico de gallo mixed guacamole and enjoying them on corn tortilla crisps

And this recipe for bean-free hummus (as well as authentic hummus) is another love of mine that I usually serve with carrots, bell peppers, and celery.

If you let me, I could probably create an endless list of snack recipes! <3 <3 <3

Kanary

Amazon Pronouns: she/her
"For the Light! For Victory! For Cake!"
My usual snack format is a fruit or veggie combined with a protein: apple with cheese, banana with peanut butter, celery sticks with hummus.
Other times: crispy seaweed snacks, trail mix (pre-packed into single serving containers), popcorn.
But also I have a box of nut-and-chocolate snack bars on the counter, so don't go mistaking this for the life of the no-fun healthy person.

I feel like it's definitely a mix of things I make myself and things I buy pre-packed. I try to stay close to naturally occurring foods, but I also try to recognize that sometimes convenience is good.

OJJJEM

For popcorn lovers:

Apple pie popcorn: popcorn, stevia (or other fine grain sweetener), apple pie spice
Allspice popcorn: popcorn, stevia, allspice and cinnamon (or pumpkin pie spice)
Hot cocoa popcorn: popcorn, stevia, cacao powder
S'more's popcorn: same as above, just add marshmallows!

For yogurt lovers:

I use whole plain Greek yogurt when I make this... it's my "ice cream"... My choice of sweetener for the particular recipes on this post is stevia (I get the "in the raw" packets).

To make vanilla yogurt, I stir in a capful of imitation vanilla extract (I only use alcohol-based extracts in cooking), and a packet of stevia per 1c yogurt
To make lemon, I use 1 drop of lemon essential oil and a packet of stevia to 1 cup of yogurt
To make chocolate yogurt, I add anywhere from 1 tsp to 1 tbsp cacao powder and a packet of stevia to 1 cup of yogurt, depending on how rich I want my chocolate and whether I want a yogurt texture or a more mousse-like texture.

Choco-coco-loco: vanilla yogurt, almond slivers, mini dark chocolate chips, unsweetened coconut flakes
Blueberry lemon poppy: lemon yogurt with a little extra zest, blueberries, and poppy seeds
Mint chocolate chip: plain yogurt with stevia, a drop of peppermint essential oil, and mini dark chocolate chips
Cherry cordial *chef kiss*: Chocolate yogurt with cherry extract (raspberry tasted good, too) and mini dark chocolate chips
Key lime pie: lime yogurt (the same way I make lemon yogurt), and crumbles of baked "graham cracker crust" made with almond meal and coconut oil... I've never tried this bad boy here, but I imagine it'll also be tasty:

Speaking of almond meal... Grit biscuits are pretty tasty, too... I make them with oats, almond meal, eggs, a little salt, and butter, and bake them in those 1cup glassware dishes... because of their gritty texture, I call them grit biscuits... it's like grits and biscuit's baby had a baby with oatmeal and almond's baby... Good for breakfast, good for a mid-day filler, and high enough in protein to be a decent post-workout snack.

Did I mention that I LOVE snacks?

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
"Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today"
I don't eat snacks all that often.
Sometimes, I get sweet stuffs like Lebkuchen, Belgian seafood pralines or such sent from an old acquaintance. Those are my go-to sweets, because I usually get huge packages I can store in the basement.
If I get hungry between meals, I like to eat a small bowl of yoghurt with oats and honey.
On special occasions we have cake, and rarely do I eat some ice cream in town.

Giant48

Guardian from Ankara-Turkey
Right now i have two types of snacks if you count them as that
İ try to eat them between meals mostly. Trying not to leave any after 7 pm
İts either raw nuts( almonds walnuts , cashew, hazelnut) or fruits
have 100 gr nuts or 200 gr of apples and banana's(which is basically 1 apple and 2 banana's) depending on which meal plan im doing for that day
Like 2-3 years ago used to make the Breakfast Bar recipe from here and carry small pieces with me as a snack but not using them right now.

Last edited:

OJJJEM

I have recently been just making a small charcuterie board every day for the kids I watch... Since they're little kids, I don't make it fancy... my last one had clementine sections top left, two different types of (non-spreadable) cheese top center, apple slices top right, oyster crackers lower left, pecans bottom center, and teddy grahams lower right... They're lacking as far as charcuterie boards are concerned, but they're perfect for kids ages 2-10.

Kanary

Amazon Pronouns: she/her
"For the Light! For Victory! For Cake!"
I have recently been just making a small charcuterie board every day for the kids I watch... Since they're little kids, I don't make it fancy... my last one had clementine sections top left, two different types of (non-spreadable) cheese top center, apple slices top right, oyster crackers lower left, pecans bottom center, and teddy grahams lower right... They're lacking as far as charcuterie boards are concerned, but they're perfect for kids ages 2-10.
I dunno: I would be pretty excited if someone set up that charcuterie board for my snack time. :heart:

OJJJEM

Clementine sections top left, quartered Babybell cheese, bite sized mozzarella string cheese, and colby jack cubes top center, sweet tamarinds top right, peppermint bark bottom left, more pecans bottom center, cumber, cream cheese, and ham pinwheels bottom right... It's how I roll now... HAHAHA!

OJJJEM

Today's a good mint cocoa day... Anybody got any ideas for a quick and easy fix to go with it?