kandy

Honeybee Posts: 155
Morning Stretch
2-Minute Warmup
Easy Core, day 3
Unbound, day 11
Lowerbody stretches

---
I need more core strength but I am too lazy to start anything. I am practicing martial arts everyday, too, seeing progress, pretty remarkable in such a short time.

kandy

4-Minute Warmup
Unbound, day 12

---
Tried the 4-Minute Warmup today. To me it's a micro workout in itself, 1min20secs hopping non-stop. Few Darebee workout have that many hops.

Last edited:

kandy

Easy Core, day 4
Various stretches

---
No program today just a bunch of stretches that I don't often do, also touching the toes and butterfly. I was able to keep going down during toe touching and I ultimately got the palms fully planted ok the floor.

I probably did too much wrist training with my bokken. When I went down to the floor to sit and pushed my hand against it, the back of my hand got some sharp pain... Couldn't shift weight to that hand and had to be extra careful that night. Had some soreness today, too.

Last edited:

kandy

Sat:
Morning Stretch
2-Minute Warmup
Lowerbody Strength
:
- 10 knee extensions with 4lbs + 10 split squats, 3 sets each side
- 3x9/9 Single-leg calf raises on a step, with weight
Easy Core, day 5
Unbound, day 13
200 meters kendo footwork, 100 meter lunges
Lowerbody stretches

---
I didn't count how many lunges I did during the 100 meters consecutive lunges, but I have short legs, so at least 80 in a row. I did around 20 before that as well.

Last edited:

kandy

Unbound, day 14
Easy Core, day 6

---
Love this program so far. I can see improvement in my flexibility, although I also stretch on my own. The balance holds were not easy today.

@NancyTree Thanks! I did similar exercises the next day and it's probably too much... getting sore at the top of my foot.

Last edited:

kandy

Yesterday (Fri)
Lowerbody Strength:
- 10 knee extensions with 6lbs + 10 split squats, 3 sets each side
- 3x12/12 Single-leg calf raises on a step, with 10lbs+ weight
Unbound, day 16
---
I was doing better at the split squats but the form was bad. Got knee pain afterwards.

Last edited:

kandy

Tue:
Morning Stretch
Lowerbody Strength:

- 3x10/10 split squats
- 3x15/15 Single-leg calf raises, +10lbs
Easy Core, day 8
---
Short of time, no knee extensions today. Split squats kept becoming easier, and my form got better, too.

The new abs program looks great.

Last edited:

kandy

Today also:

Used 2kg dumbells for the first 3 exercises, and 10lbs for the last two, and I didn't follow the sequence. I started by wanting to do the deadlifts, and I did, then the bent over rows, and the rest.

The pair of muscles along the spine of my lower back pops. I don't know if that's muscle or fat, or just tight. The kendo exercise I do every day uses the lower back muscle to some degree but it will surprise me if the routine builds muscle mass.

Last edited:

kandy

Morning Stretch
Unbound, day 18
Easy Core, day 9
Grip Training workout
, 10lb dumbbells
---
Back to Unbound, yay.

I actually have some muscle definition at the back and my arms. The arms look more like I simply have low body fat in that area, but the back seems a bit thicker than someone who has little back muscles. That motivates me to work on my back.

My lower back is definitely stronger than before. I have no problem doing the lying prone back extensions in Unbound today. It used to be a very difficult exercise for me. Now it's just a matter of how far I can lift my body up.

Last edited:

kandy

Yesterday:
Morning Stretch
Easy Core, day 10

---
Also:
Kendo solo, day 23, with 10 or 12lbs weight

I have been gradually adding weight to my practice since day 11 and reached to 12lbs very recently, and new challenges started. My body was strong enough for 10lbs in the first place, so 12 was more than what it could take. It forced my body to recruit more muscles to stabilize as I move. My lower back and knee needs to adapt, too. I will probably stick with 12lbs till day 30.

kandy

Morning Stretch
2-Minute Warmup
Strength:

- Split squats, 3x10 each side
- Knee extensions with 8lbs, 3x10 right side
- Single-leg calves raises on a step with weight, 3x15/15
- Deadlifts 20lbs, 3x8
Unbound, day 20
Easy Core, day 12
Lowerbody stretches

---
Starting fresh. I did some shoulder press and Lateral shoulder press, too, but regretted afterwards because it just became too much, mentally.

The split squats that I have been working on is actually closer to the single leg squats. I was almost there with my left side but right side still sucked, so I did some knee extensions as extra training.

kandy

Today also:
Code of Abs, day 2, lvl1
I planned to do this next week or March 1st, but I couldn't wait and started yesterday! I love how it has lower back focus every 3 days. The program should go well with the deadlifts that I plan to do twice a week.

By far it doesn't feel like a level 4 program, but more like a 3. The circle crunches on day 1 was hard. I also noticed that my core was stronger than I thought/ it used to be. I didn't get lower back pain during the leg raises as easily as before.

kandy

Morning Stretch
Unbound, day 21
Code of Abs, day 3

---
Alright, my body is definitely adapting faster to the 12lbs than expected. Now I need shock absorption equipment to protect my hand.

I am convinced that what I am trying to conquer is the single-leg squat, so that will be my next goal, with the other leg staying behind. My therapist made it look so simple back then but it's really not, and I kept getting knee pain due to poor form. I think I will start one or two challenges next week while keep training my legs twice a week.

Last edited:

kandy

Unbound, day 22
Code of Abs, day 4, lvl3
Lowerbody stretches
Wrist stretches and exercises

---
Single-leg squats/ split squats progression training, day 1:
- Iron Glutes, day 1, side kicks
- Two-leg box squats, 30 reps
- 1-2 box squats (1 leg down 2 legs up), 20 reps Single-leg box squats, down portion only, 20 reps
- 3 sets of 6/6 step ups to a chair
- Uncounted reps of Bulgarian split squats with different weight
---
For the squats I feel like for me it's all about the eccentric strength, the ability to hold it as I descend. As long as I can hold it, I can get back up no problem. My left side was actually not bad when I tested it out yesterday. I even did a half pistol squat. But if I start from the static split squat position and get up with the front leg only I will have to jerk and/ or lean forward a lot. It works better if I tense my leg but the strength generated is still not enough.

So I made a training plan focusing on building the eccentric first. Today I planned to do 20 "1-2 box squats" where I would descend with one leg till parallel and then get up with both. It turned out that the down portion was so tough that I didn't even do the up part. It's just 10 reps per side, and I had to split it to 3 sets and I was so done afterwards. My left leg made it very close to parallel and the right was a bit far from that. For the right side I have to use assistance after just 4 reps to continue...

I am also doing the Iron Glutes challenge, which has shrimp squats every other day. Then step ups and weighted Bulgarian split squats once or twice a week (mostly because I don't know better), too, to boost more strength. I want to do it tomorrow but maybe I should do it today...

Edit: did step ups and Bulgarian split squats in the evening.

Last edited:

kandy

Unbound, day 24
Code of Abs, day 6
Strength:

- Single-leg calf raises on a step, with weight, 3x15/15
- Deadlifts 20lbs, 3x10
---
Single-leg squats/ split squats progression training, day 3:
- Iron Glutes, day 3, side kicks
---
Figured out that it will be too much to do if I do the calves and deadlifts tomorrow, so I did them late at night today instead.

Last edited:

kandy

Unbound, day 25
Code of Abs, day 7, lvl3
Lowerbody stretches

---
Single-leg squats/ split squats progression training, day 4:
- Iron Glutes, day 4, shrimp squats
- 3x10/10 step ups, knee height step
- 20 Single-leg box squats, down portion
- 30 box squats
---
I don't think right knee like the single leg squat down thing. It feels like the muscle is too weak for that task so the tendon/ ligaments are doing it. But my left side is making progress and I seem to go lower during the shrimp squats today.

I like the step ups. They feel intense enough.

Last edited:

kandy

Unbound, day 26
Code of Abs, day 8, lvl2
2 min splits (DD)

---
Single-leg squats/ split squats progression training, day 5:
- Iron Glutes, day 5, side kicks
---
Leg raises workouts are always tough. Today the program adds one more exercise on top of the session of day 2. I did lvl2 which was 4 sets instead of 3 as I did on day 2. After the workout my legs became so heavy and tired that for a brief moment I couldn't stand right. For regular folks the core does its everyday job fine and you don't even realize how important it is.

Last edited:

kandy

Damn, I just made the split squats on my left side! It's just day 6! :worried::worried::worried:

Did it with my left leg in front and right side behind, knee resting on the ground and foot off it. I didn't need assistance to get up, either. It was slightly elevated because I placed a pillow underneath my knee, but I was happy enough, at least for now! :LOL: It was not entirely neat if I took a really high standard, but still.

I was just thinking about taking a less aggressive route than the single leg down squating, also a break on my right side because I thought the squat hurt my knee. Let's just keep progressing on my left side and do something gentle on my right.

Last edited:

kandy

Unbound, day 29
Dexterity, lvl3 with EC

---
Single-leg squats/ split squats progression training, day 8:
- Iron Glutes, day 8, shrimp squats
---
I am usually pretty lazy on Monday because I train Tuesay to Sunday quite enough... I almost didn't do the above workout.

kandy

Unbound, day 30
Code of Abs, lvl1.75

---
Single-leg squats/ split squats progression training, day 9:
- Iron Glutes, day 9, side kicks
---
Unbound completed! My flexibility definitely has improved. Besides the actual stuff, the best thing is acquiring the skill/ ability to push the range of motion during the stretches, such as keep going lower durung toe touching by pushing the body forward at the hip joint.

Then lvl "1.75" in Code of Abs. It's kinda like the leg raises workout case. A couple days a go I did lvl1 3 sets and today I was aiming for lvl2 4 sets but I didn't complete the 4th exercise today during the 4th set. 20 sec sit up hold seemed long but one whole set took me 3 minutes to do. My legs got tired and I suddenly remembered that I was going to do leg workout tomorrow, so I just stopped.

kandy

Code of Abs, day 12
Lowerbody stretches

---
Single-leg squats/ split squats progression training, day 10:
- Quad Mod, lvl1
- Split squats: left: 10, 8, 6, 4; right, 10, 8, 3
-Iron Glutes, day 10, shrimp squats
---

This should be difficulty four, not three. It's obviously harder than Vanguard, which is and feels like a three. It will be a four for sure if you make it to 30 jumping lunges and 30 jump squats.

The current plan is to rotate between Vanguard and Quad Mod every 3 days, and 1 lvl up at a time, so it should take 16 days in total to reach lvl3 of both.

Plus I got better at the split squats today than last time. I do it better every time.

@Tileenah @Fremen Thanks! I wish they have the badges back underneath the avatar.

Last edited:

kandy

Code of Abs, day 13, lvl3
Calves
:
- 3x 18/18 Single-leg calf raises on a step, with weight
- Epic Calves, with EC
- 60 secs squat hold calf raises (DD)
Lowerbody stretches
---
Single-leg squats/ split squats progression training, day 11:
- Iron Glutes, day 11, side kicks
---
Lots of calves today.

kandy

Morning Stretch
3x18/18 single-leg calf raises on a step
, with weight, 1 min rest between sets
Single-leg squats/ split squats progression training, day 12:
- Iron Glutes, day 12, shrimp squats
- Vanguard, lvl2
---
That's all for today. Vanguard was quite a workout, so that's good enough, and I made progress, too. Also got better at the shrimp squats on the left side, going lower at ease.

I travelled and took a couple days off. It took some time to get back on track. It's not everything on the daily routine but I was glad that I started again. :LOL:

@NancyTree Thanks!

Last edited:

kandy

3x18/18 single-leg calf raises on a step with weight, 30 secs rest between sets
Single-leg squats/ split squats progression training, day 13:
- Iron Glutes, day 13, side kicks
- Leg Shred, with EC and 0~4kg weight, single-leg split squats instead of reverse lunges
---
Making progress in the split squats. Tried different height and weight combo. As little as a pillow underneath the kneeling leg made huge difference, but additional weight affected less significantly. I was using a 2kg dumbbell.

Last edited:

kandy

Single-leg squats/ split squats progression training, day 14:
- Iron Glutes, day 14, shrimp squats
- 10 squats, 3x22 lunges, couple split squats
---
Not exactly sure what to do next. I don't really need Code of Abs for now, but I still want to focus on legs. There are so many combos you can do. :eager:

kandy

Morning Stretch
Single-leg squats/ split squats progression training, day 15
:
- Iron Glutes, day 15, side kicks
- Step up, day 1, SL split squats instead
---
Picked the Step ups challenge and did my split squats instead of step ups. I was able to do it on the left side and for a few reps even bringing the back leg up to the front like what you would do in the step ups. My right side was close, too. I will probably do regular step ups on the 30secs step ups days.

Did some solo kendo, too, but I was sick and wasn't able to do much workout.

kandy

Update:
I had 3 days sober.

I am writing this now at a time when I am calm and ain't too excited nor stressed about things, so I make sure I am not triggered, but I might just fall at any time.

I exercised two days ago but I had some hard time breathing when I was half way through my normal amount of activities, and it's different from just exhausted. I wasn't breathing excellent and my heart was aching a little bit, so I just stopped as anything could happen. I felt a lot weaker than just several days ago, and I had no idea if it had anything to do with trying to get sober.

Really want to start working ot again but I was totally lazy at this point and my body might just be a lot less capable than I would like it to be.

Last edited:

kandy

Thanks, everyone! @NancyTree @Fremen @TheLibrarian @Tileenah

Did some workout today:
Morning Stretch
Step up, day 1
single-leg split squats
Endurance, day 1 Suburi instead of high knees
Other kendo solo, 3 different exercises, 100 reps each
---
4 days sober

I came up with a plan of several training/exercises, a lot of which is Kendo related. I did a 6-week dedicated training of one specific movement before, ending up with like 3,000 reps. It worked for me and yielded great result/ progress, which totally surprised me. Now I gonna do the same with a few other moves to see if they fit my need. Not sure how it will turn out, I just put some faith in it.

I have 7 weeks before a dan exam and competition to work on things. It should be sufficient.

But I feel like really the key for me isn't my skill level but confidence. If I can stay sober for at least this time frame I can achieve anything. Staying sober will help with everything brain and physical, too.