What are you currently reading?

Desa

Oh, glad to discover a reading club of sorts here!

Might pick up interesting books that way. :D

Currently reading Platonov's Chevengur, but in dutch. It is about a russian man growing up in the time of the Revolution thundering across the land, after a prologue of sorts which I think I just finished, the summarization tells me they will send him through the hinterland of the young Soviet Union, and there he will stumble on the village Chevengur where communism somehow has started to establish itself. But Stalin hated it because of its anarchic spirit and critical look on the failures and tensions of soviet communism, and yet the writer also believed in communism. So that tension appeals to me.

So far, I like it. The writing meanders like a slow, ponderous and mighty stream, it tends to focus on one person, but it flashes at times to other people's perspective with ease. There is a weird, soft humorous and existential concern to it about the struggle and suffering of people the protagonist meets on his journey. It aches, and believes things should be better. But it also doesn't convey people as heroic, rather, they are petty, confused and contradictory all the time.

Curious to see what things will be in Chevengur.

lilybilly

Pronouns: she/her
I'm reading Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. This was a book we picked for book club (I didn't finish it like usual 😭). It's... ok. I like it enough to finish it, but I'm at about 90% and I don't think I'll pick up the next one.

Also reading One Piece as per my brother's request, though I really need to read the next volume. I'm only at like volume 5.

The Blade Itself is another book I started recently. I really want to like it but I haven't had the motivation to finish it. I'm definitely gonna make an effort to actually get through it all the way, and maybe start the next in the series. Sometimes I just need time to take in the world and characters before I like the book lol

And when I get done with those books I'm gonna pick up Fool's Fate by Robin Hobb!! I'm incredibly excited to get back into the series but I'm also not ready to get done with Tawny Man lol. God, if you guys like fantasy but haven't read Realm of the Elderlings you HAVE TO!! It's top tier fr, 10/10 I adore this series with every part of my soul

Maegaranthelas

Bard from The Netherlands
Pronouns: They/them
"I sing and I know things"
I finally cycled back to reading this month, so I have finished two books in the past week.
Jeff Goodell's The Water Will Come details the past, current, and likely or potential future of flooding due to catastrophic climate change. It charts some of the many cities that will be (and often already are) being inundated as well as what they are attempting to stop the water (and the flaws in their plans). Very sobering, and I appreciate that it's not limited to a western experience.

I also read N K Jemisin's The Obelisk Gate, part two of the Broken Earth trilogy. Once again, a fantastic piece of fiction, and I look forward to the next. I love it when books cause you to make noises when you finally understand where a story thread is going xD

AquaMarie

Paladin from Texas, USA
Pronouns: she/her
"If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water."
@Maegaranthelas Oh, The Water Will Come sounds really interesting! I'll add that one to my to-read shelf on Goodreads (with the other 615 books I want to read:shock:). Thanks for the rec!

Currently re-reading the Wayward Children series by Seanan McGuire before diving into Mislaid in Parts Half-Known. I'll admit, I enjoyed the first 4 books of the series more than the next three, but the concept and the characters in the whole series are so fun! I'm looking forward to the latest one.

elie

Bard from Europe
I also read N K Jemisin's The Obelisk Gate, part two of the Broken Earth trilogy. Once again, a fantastic piece of fiction, and I look forward to the next. I love it when books cause you to make noises when you finally understand where a story thread is going xD
Ooooooooooooooooohhh! I loved this series! I avidly listened to it while running a couple of years ago.

(I also enjoyed The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter very much, if you ever are interested in African adult fantasy.)

I am currently reading Le fantôme du Vicaire, by Eric Fouassier. It's about a 19th century inspector that examines paranormal cases. I haven't read that far just yet.

The never-ending Carthage is still somewhere, gathering dust.

Last edited:

Maegaranthelas

Bard from The Netherlands
Pronouns: They/them
"I sing and I know things"
@AquaMarie It really is worthy of being on the list (I also have one of those lists :p ) I honestly only go to this one because one of my favourite youtubers does a podcast about climate books, and I really want to read the books before listening to the episode (you really don't have to do that, I just want to). So I am slowly chipping away at some. I even had a few of them on the shelves already xD

@elie Ooh, I would love to check out some African fantasy, for sure! Thank you for the recommendation :lovely: