What are you currently reading?

Anek

Sorceress from Bavaria, Germany
Pronouns: She/her
"If the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember Cedric Diggory."
I finished a decent one today, "The Paper Palace". Nice to read a female character that is in her 50s and has a real life with love and sex. It's rare.

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
I'm currently reading a sci-fi novel called Fracture. And my own novel (The Leap) as well, since I'm editing. Also started reading Mind Space Investigations, with a telepathic policeman.

Want to read Six Ways of Being Religious.
Want to REREAD The Diet Myth: The Real Science Behind What We Eat by Tim Spector, studying the human microbiome.

Sigh. Lots of reading to do. :bigyes:

Trekmarvel

Fighter from South of Sicily - Italy 🇮🇲 🇮🇹
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16"
The complete robot by Isaac Asimov, a very interesting collection of almost all the robot novels. Some of them are connected with other Asimov‘s works like ”The caves of steel” or the “Foundation“ series.

Numbat

from Perth, Western Australia
Pronouns: She/Her
"A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop."
Recently finished Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. Very different to the movie but I love them both equally.

Started reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith. Unfortunately after 80 of 316 pages I am putting it away. I am unable to remember any of the character names, let alone care about what they are doing. Adding zombies did not help as much as I had hoped.

I am waiting on The City and The City by China Mieville, so in the meantime I will be reading Killer Shark by Paul Crane

AquaMarie

Paladin from Texas, USA
Pronouns: she/her
"If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water."
Nonfiction: Read Dangerously: The Subversive Power of Literature in Troubled Times, by Azar Nafisi. I find the format of essay-via-personal letters to be quite intriguing.

Fiction: Nine Princes in Amber, by Roger Zelazny. Just started last night, only about 10 pages into it, not sure what I think about it yet.

funtimes

I am currently reading This Is How They Tell Me the World Ends: A True Story by Nicole Perlroth.

It is about how internet dependent we are, yet so vulnerable on our devices, allowing it to be easily hacked by anyone, anywhere.

"We plug in anything we can to the internet. We can control our entire lives, economy and grid via a remote web control. But over the past decade, as this transformation took place, we never paused to think that we were also creating the world's largest attack surface. And that the same nation that maintains the greatest cyber advantage on earth could also be among its most vulnerable."

TakingBabyStepsBack

"Keep fighting. Fortune will favor the patient and persistent."
“The Greatest Game Ever Played” by Mark Frost. Nonfiction account of the 1913 U.S. Open golf tournament and the backstory leading up to it. Recommended if you like the sport.

I tend to read nonfiction because of my overactive imagination…I always seem to get triggered somehow reading fiction, and sometimes it’s not obvious to me as to the reason why.

mavie

from germany
I'm in the middle of Maggie Nelson's The Red Parts: A Memoir (german title: Die roten Stellen. Autobiographie eines Prozesses.)
It's a good read, dense, interesting and not a typical crime story as far as i can tell, because i am not reading a lot of crime stories.

Montserrat

Rogue from The Netherlands
Nonfiction: Read Dangerously: The Subversive Power of Literature in Troubled Times, by Azar Nafisi. I find the format of essay-via-personal letters to be quite intriguing.
@AquaMarie This sounds as something I'll want to read some time. Will write down the title!

I am always reading many things at the same time, often forgetting about them somehere halfway the book, not because of lack of interest, but because something else gets hold of my attention.

Currently reading, amongst other things: The Birth of Tragedy by Friedrich Nietzsche (for my studies) and The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (for fun).

Last edited:

Andi64

from Margareten
After reading nearly (none of the Queen of Dreams, too old for that) everything Peter F. Hamilton has written in the last couple of months, and that is a lot, I have my sights on Alastair Reynolds. He has an interesting biography and is big on Space Opera. I just started the 2nd part of the Inhibitor Sequence: Redemption Ark

@Numbat: China Mieville is excellent. Have a look at the Kraken or the Bas-Lag series.

Thanks to @dbViper for mentioning Rabbit & Robot by Andrew Smith here, it was very entertaining!

Last edited:

AquaMarie

Paladin from Texas, USA
E-book: Falling in Love with Hominids by Nalo Hopkinson. Short stories, and they're a little creepier than I was expecting so far.

Paper book: Hazel's Theory of Evolution by Lisa Jenn Bigelow. Recommended by a friend. Though I don't usually go for realistic fiction, I'm enjoying this one so far.

SkorpionUK

Sorceress from Germany
"Building good habits"
Nona the Ninth, by Tamsyn Muir The 3rd installment of the Locked Tomb series. Just started it, but it is as entertaining and confusing as the first two.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA yes! another Locked Tomb fan!
We do get everywhere.
And yes, that's my current read, although I'm not reading very much atm.

SkorpionUK

Sorceress from Germany
"Building good habits"
Recently finished Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. Very different to the movie but I love them both equally.

Started reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith. Unfortunately after 80 of 316 pages I am putting it away. I am unable to remember any of the character names, let alone care about what they are doing. Adding zombies did not help as much as I had hoped.

I am waiting on The City and The City by China Mieville, so in the meantime I will be reading Killer Shark by Paul Crane
I like China Mieville, and City & City is a real gem.

legolo

Mercenary from Germany
Pronouns: He
"I am the one thing in life I can control"
Just bought the entire Song of Ice and Fire series for 20 bucks. 10 books for 20 bucks! Greatest deal ever :D I read the first one ages ago and finally I can read the other ones. Hopefully the books are better then the series ;) Plus, they look wicked good on my bookshelf :)

legolo

Mercenary from Germany
Pronouns: He
"I am the one thing in life I can control"
@Anek 10 books, definitely. They´re numbered so it´s very hard to count them wrong :D Starting with "Herren von Winterfell" and ending with "Ein Tanz mit Drachen". It´s the beige edition with the Houses coats of arms and credos, published by blanvalet/penhaligon.

I admit, the picture quality sucks, but this phone barely survived three years of construction sites :D

Attachments

• IMG-20221001-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20221001-WA0001.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 16

Anek

Sorceress from Bavaria, Germany
"If the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember Cedric Diggory."
@legolo ah I see, so I think the German version might be split in two books for each of the English ones, considering how long the English ones are, in German they would have been impossible to hold in one hand :D
Or maybe there's 5 prequels?

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
"Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today"
@Anek German has two editions from two different publishers. The first were five books, as in the original, and limited. The second edition were 10 books, 2 volumes for each English volume. That happens quite often with German editions of fantasy sagas, I've been told. See here: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Lied_von_Eis_und_Feuer#Deutsch

AquaMarie

Paladin from Texas, USA
E-book: Summer in Orcus, by T. Kingfisher. A comfort read of mine. It's a funny, sweet fantasy, though it does get a little melancholy sometimes. I really ought to buy my own copy as often as I have checked it out from the library :LOL:.

Paper book: Just One Damned Thing After Another, by Jodi Taylor. One of my very few impulse buys. I recognized the quote the title referenced ("history is just one damned thing after another"), and when I saw it was a book about time travel I was so amused I just had to get it. It did not disappoint!

AgentDragon

Bard from Maryland
Pronouns: they/them
"I just needed to get that off my chest"
I’ve been trying to read Bram Stoker’s Dracula, and while I quite enjoy it, my ADHD has made it especially hard for me to focus on and enjoy reading lately.
Does anyone have advice on how to love reading again?

AquaMarie

Paladin from Texas, USA
I’ve been trying to read Bram Stoker’s Dracula, and while I quite enjoy it, my ADHD has made it especially hard for me to focus on and enjoy reading lately.
Does anyone have advice on how to love reading again?
Ooof, the ADHD gremlins. I'm so sorry its bothering you!

Have you tried playing music or using a fidget toy while you read? I like the little pop-it toys myself. Sometimes that little bit of sound/motion will help me settle in to a book.

How about short story collections or comics? There's some great ones out there, and some of the serialized stories coming out of Kindle Vella are really good, too. It may be more satisfying to have a full story in a short amount of time that way.

My last bit of advice would be: if a story just can't hold your attention, don't be afraid to set it aside (or even stop reading it altogether) and switch to something else. No reason to spend your precious time reading a story you're not liking when there's so many awesome ones out there!

I hope this helps, and I hope you get back into your reading groove soon!

Froud

Warrior Monk from Brussels
I like to keep track of my reading and in the past I started building my library on excel but it was a bit burdensome in the end. Hence I discovered Goodreads and i like that functionality (it is like IMDB for books - also an Amazon company), i populated my shelve bit by bit and it is not completed yet. I know that there are other sites that can do the same thing but it is very easy to use. In the end, it is not very time consuming to me.
I like the functionality of 'reading challenge' i used to be a good reader (uh uh) but since I sarterd commuting by bike, my ratio book/year frustrated me a bit. With this challenge, I cut the tely and read more (almost as before).

AquaMarie

Paladin from Texas, USA
E-book: Nature's Wild Ideas, by Kristy Hamilton. An overview of some of the inventions that have been inspired or improved by nature. Interesting stuff, but she hasn't mentioned any technology developed in the last 10 years yet. Hopefully that will change in the second half of the book.

Paper book: The Ballad of Perilous Graves, by Alex Jennings. It's set in a magical version of New Orleans and is very atmospheric.