What music do you like to listen to (when you're working out)?

Redline

DAREBEE Team
DAREBEE Team
Ninja from Marseille, France
...aaaand I'll start. Not to beat around the bush too long, I'm a big fan of metal. My tastes have somewhat evolved with time, and it's not the only music I listen to (I also really enjoy "classic" songs with lyrical qualities, stuff by Leonard Cohen and quite a lot of French bands or singers that probably won't ring a bell for most people here). But to me, music has almost always been something I go to when looking for a boost of energy.:kungfu:

Now the funny thing is (in my own eyes at least), my favourite bands are not the ones I listen to when working out. I really enjoy music that's both powerful and atmospheric, even dark and broody sometimes, but that's not really what I want to have in my ears when I'm getting tired and still want to get a few extra reps in.

So, my workout playlist has a lot of epic, melodic and powerful stuff, even though the bands that play that time of music can sometimes rely on pretty cheesy gimmicks, if I'm completely honest. It's hard for me to be 100% behind Amon Amarth, Sabaton or Beast in Black, for example, because... well... neither their lyrics nor their music are exactly subtle... :imp:but when I want to feel in the mood for lifting iron, or my own weight, or running for more than 20 minutes, all while feeling heroic and able to go beyond my limits... well, you've got to hand it to them - they really do the trick. ;)

Sólveig

Pirate from Cabudare - Venezuela
Pronouns: She/Her
"Ars longa, vita brevis"
It depends. The majority of times I grab an EDM mix that forces me to dance, but I like some things electronic that are more minimalistic too, like a Miss Monique podcast that I'm listening to right now. There are days in which I also put metal in the background, which are usually combat days.

Folk ambient music and folk experimental music is what I go to for anything related to yoga, qi gong, and meditation.

chickadee

Barbarian Posts: 20
Perhaps it’s the ADHD, but I often do my best workouts when I put on an educational or humorous podcast, or an educational YouTube channel in the background, like Be Smart or PBS Eons. I just can’t focus as well with only music. I need background noise that also occasionally engages my brain when I tune into it for a moment. Dancey, upbeat music is great when I want to let my mind wander and solve problems on a walk or something, but not for focused workouts.

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
I found this playlist on Spotify: Kings & Queens Radio about a year ago.
It's been my workout playlist ever since! It gets populated all the time so it never gets old.

The beat is juuuust right for my cardio :jacks:

guibo94

Gladiator from New Asgard
"Silent but deadly."
In my younger days I listed to a lot of metal and hard rock, but over the past 5-10 years I started listening to epic action movie scores when I work out. I just go on Spotify, search for a movie score and then hit play. Lately I have been listening to the "Spartacus: Blood & Sand" score during my workouts and I have a collection of all the old Marvel Netflix shows scores too (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, etc...) Makes me feel like I'm in an epic movie, haha!

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
Pronouns: She/her
In my younger days I listed to a lot of metal and hard rock, but over the past 5-10 years I started listening to epic action movie scores when I work out. I just go on Spotify, search for a movie score and then hit play. Lately I have been listening to the "Spartacus: Blood & Sand" score during my workouts and I have a collection of all the old Marvel Netflix shows scores too (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, etc...) Makes me feel like I'm in an epic movie, haha!
Ah! Another geek who pretends to be a hero when they work out. Yay for not being alone!

I wonder if this is a psychological thing - where one is actually subconsciously fighting against the battle that is life...

guibo94

Gladiator from New Asgard
"Silent but deadly."
Ah! Another geek who pretends to be a hero when they work out. Yay for not being alone!

I wonder if this is a psychological thing - where one is actually subconsciously fighting against the battle that is life...
Haha - maybe so! I used to be a silence kind of guy, but movie scores help motivate me on the days when I am not interested at all.

JohnStrong

Guardian from Alberta
"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates"
I enjoyed giving a listen to everyone's picks :) I don't normally listen to music when I workout, but I've been looping this track a lot lately at work and wanted to share. Would be a spooky accompaniment for a night run:

lpf

Rogue Posts: 285
"“I am, and always will be, the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes, and the dreamer of improbable dreams.” (Eleventh Doctor)"
okay, I don't know why, but the first thing, that came into my mind was not my workout playlist, which contains a lot of rock, metal, punk, ska and everything in between...

no, the first thing, that came into my mind is a song that made me have a lump in my throat and brought tears in my eyes...

so, as you are warned by now, feel free to listen or not listen to "Constance" by Spiritbox
it's really a brillant song, but it really breaks your heart...

koriandr

Heroine from Europe
Pronouns: she/her
"Headbanging to classical music"
I'm a metalhead child so my answer is very simple...metal lol. Yesterday I was listening to a7x's Hail to the king album while working out. It's basically my favourite album from them. Here's their headliner for the album:

Fitato

Mystic from Kansas
"Hello"
Lately, I almost exclusively listen to songs by I Prevail when working out at home. (If I'm hiking, then I just put on my general playlist). I'm quite addicted to their song Bad Things.

curtislane34

I love 2 steps from hell and such.

curtislane34

I listen to bands like state of mine and disturbed mixed with some folks like two steps from hell. Strength and overcome are the themes.

lpf

Rogue Posts: 285
"“I am, and always will be, the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes, and the dreamer of improbable dreams.” (Eleventh Doctor)"
It depends on the mood and on the workout I am doing...
Usually it's punk, rock, ska, metal, alternative mix.... I've tried to do Yoga and Meditation with this music, which didn't work out sooo good....
so for Yoga and Meditation, it is a bit "softer"
Oh, for Meditation there is only one song, that works for me
(this is really interesting, don't ask me why, I tried a lot of different stuff, even dedicated meditation music, but that didn't work... I mostly find this kind of music annoying)
so, for Meditation, the only thing that works for me is this one