Whirly's Wanderings

Whirly

Ranger from Colorado
Pronouns: she/her
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

- J.R.R. Tolkien

When I started my training log in the old Hive, it was April 2020 and the pandemic was just beginning. I hoped the Hive would help me stay accountable in my goal of remaining active during lockdown. My initial goals were to:
  • Do some type of exercise outside every day for at least 10 minutes (I didn’t want to get too stir-crazy by staying inside for days on end).
  • Incorporate more strength training into my routine using Darebee programs (I didn’t have access to a gym or fitness classes during lockdown, and I wanted to establish a routine of working out at home so I wouldn’t need to rely on a gym or classes post-lockdown).
In the two and a half years since then, I’ve established a very consistent walking routine (I nearly always go for a walk - or a run - when I first get up in the morning). I’ve completed 18 Darebee programs and one themed week, plus a bunch of Darebee challenges. I’ve also amassed a small collection of kettlebells in addition to the single set of dumbbells I started out with. I’m still not as consistent with strength training as I’d like to be, but I’ve definitely made progress! I’ve also established a daily mediation habit.

This summer I started running again, and I’m now consistently running 2-3 times a week. I’ve also started doing the Hybrid Calisthenics program, and am enjoying that (plus, since it is only two exercises per day, it is hard to justify skipping it even on my busiest days). I would like to incorporate some additional Darebee workouts or programs into my regular routine, but my biggest struggle right now is finding time during the day. With the exception of my morning walk/run, I almost always end up working out right before bed, which isn’t ideal because I’m tired and just want to go to sleep!

So, my current goal is to experiment with incorporating more exercise throughout my day, or at least earlier in the evening. Since I work from home, I have some flexibility to pause and take short workout breaks during the day but, so far, I haven’t been very successful in actually making that happen. I have, however, started spending at least a portion of my workday sitting on the floor with my laptop on a low table, which seems to be improving my general mobility and flexibility.

Sometimes it feels like I’m wandering through this fitness/health/life journey without making much progress, but I know that as long as I keep going, I’ll never be completely lost. I would never have been able to accomplish what I have these past two and a half years without all the support I’ve received from everyone in the Hive. Here’s to new beginnings in a new Hive!

Last edited:

Whirly

Ranger from Colorado
09/10/22 - Saturday

📌Meditation

:x: Hybrid Calisthenics
:v: Neck Mobility Workout
:v: 5 hour hike outside (5 miles)

We're spending the weekend in Breckenridge with my mother-in-law and a friend of hers. Today we hiked to an awesome waterfall! We're a little early still for yellow aspen leaves, but we saw a few trees that were starting to turn yellow.

IMG_4200.jpg

IMG_4220.jpg

IMG_4238.jpg

----------

Consecutive Days of Exercise: 881

Last edited:

Whirly

Ranger from Colorado
09/11/22 - Sunday

📌Meditation

:v: 2 hour hike outside (3 miles)
:v: 60 + 45 minute walks outside

After lots of hiking and walking today, plus a two-hour drive home, I didn't have the energy for anything else!

----------

Consecutive Days of Exercise: 882

Last edited:

Whirly

Ranger from Colorado
09/30/22 - Friday

📌 Meditation

:v: HC - Horizontal pull-ups, 2 sets of 20, 2 min rest
:v: HC - Assisted squats, 2 sets of 10, 30 sec rest
:v: Neck Mobility Workout
:v: 45 minute walk outside

For the horizontal pull-ups, I've been going to a nearby park that has workout stations placed throughout. I've been using the lowest bar at this station. When I'm ready for advanced horizontal pull-ups, there is another set of even lower bars that I can use.

2022-09-30 07.40.26 copy.jpg

----------

Consecutive Days of Exercise: 901

Montserrat

Rogue from The Netherlands
For the horizontal pull-ups, I've been going to a nearby park that has workout stations placed throughout. I've been using the lowest bar at this station.
I do the same thing! Most of the HC exercises can easily be done at home, but for the pulling exercises (I am more or less at the same stage as you are) I don't have anything that is really suitable. Fortunately I also have a few of these workout stations in my neighbourhood.

Whirly

Ranger from Colorado
10/01/22 - Saturday

Morning:
:v: First Thing Push-Ups Challenge - Day 1 (10 incline push-ups)

Afternoon:
:v: HC - Glute bridges, 3 sets of 25, 2 min rest
:v: HC - Bent leg twists, 3 holds of 60 sec, both sides, no rest

Evening:
:v: 25 minute walk outside

Consecutive Days of Exercise: 902

~~~

I've decided to play around with my log format and start recording the time of day that I complete things. As I mentioned before, I'm pretty consistent about getting my daily walk or run done first thing in the morning, but everything else often gets put off until late evening. We'll see if some extra accountability can push me to complete things earlier in the day.

Last edited: