Yoga Team

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
Calling all Yogi Bees! Here's our thread to discuss all things yoga. Introduce yourself to your fellow yogi bees, tell us about your practice, ask questions, share inspiration and links to interesting yoga channels and "challenges". I'll try to tag folks I know have an interest in yoga as I see you popping into the new forums.

@DorothyMH
@Fremen
@Heniek
@CODawn
@Anek
@BetaCorvi

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting or just don't know about. Please feel free to invite others in who you think would be interested.

Last edited:

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
Hi Team!

I'm Laura Rainbow Dragon. I've been practising yoga since 1998 and teaching on and off since 2003. I don't currently teach public classes as I live in far too small a town (no studio here, not enough interest to support one, and not enough room where I live to teach classes at home), but I do have 3 years experience teaching public classes in a fitness club setting, 2+ years (and counting) teaching privately, plus several years leading online yoga groups. I have a few yoga videos posted to my YouTube channel, which you can find at https://www.youtube.com/c/LauraRainbowDragon (plus a bunch of nature videos). I will try to add more over the coming months (although I don't have a lot of space for filming either, these days).

I approach yoga as a holistic fitness practice with a focus on asana (postures), mindfulness meditation, and some pranayama (breathwork). I prefer flowing, athletic styles of asana practice with creative choreography but I do have some familiarity with other styles as well. My yoga dogma is that I promote only those aspects of the yoga practice which are backed up by science, and my expertise lies primarily in my understanding of anatomy in yoga postures, science-backed benefits of the poses, and how to adapt the poses for different bodies and abilities. But I am a certified yoga teacher and do have some familiarity with "yoga philosophy", so feel free to ask me questions about that too. (I can speak to what the philosophy is and where it came from, even if I don't necessarily agree with it.)

Heniek

Warrior Monk from London Ontario Canada
"The Tao of Tai Chi Chuan"
My first Yoga studio I went to was in 1973, Sivananada style and the twice a week class was 2 and 1/2 hours but we covered many things, meditation and mantra, some study of the Bhagavad Gita. I still practice Sivananda at home and have trained with other teachers of this style over the years.

ZFO_1663608745.png

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
Whooo! I'm keen :) I try to do a little bit of yoga everyday.
Great work! You are ahead of me there. :)

I don't have a lot of floor space in my room, and I have a sick dog currently who likes to lie sprawled across all of the open space. I do have access to a larger room for a couple of hours, usually three days a week now. So I'm going to try to make use of that to get in some longer yoga practices.

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
My first Yoga studio I went to was in 1973, Sivananada style and the twice a week class was 2 and 1/2 hours

Wow! When I first started practising, classes were 90 minutes long (this was at the Y in London). These days I think 60 minutes is more the norm.
How long are the classes at Shangrila?

The only time I have done 2.5 hour yoga classes was for teacher training workshops. Those included a lot of talking too, as yours did with the study of the Gita, etc. I once took a 2.5 hour workshop where the instructor spent the first 45 minutes (I'm not exaggerating--we timed it!) boasting about her yoga lineage.

Last edited:

Heniek

Shangrila Yoga classes are 75 mins, when I did hot Yoga it was an hour but now they do 45mins, I always get to my mat 1/2 an hour early to do meditation.

LizardFriend95

Warrior from The Yellow Submarine in the Merry Old Land of Oz
Pronouns: she/her
"I’m so happy, cause today I found my friends. They’re in my head."
I think yoga is one of the first things I’ve tried when I started exercising, but I haven’t been consistent with it at all. Now that I’m trying to get back into exercise, I want to focus on my yoga practice first (and not just as a way to exercise).

I have read the Bhagavad Gita, but I haven’t studied it and I didn’t fully understand it (more accurately, I read it last year and don’t actually remember what I read).

One of my goals is to learn more about yoga, though, so I can be more mindful with it.

Nevetharine

Commando from Prometheus Cloud Galaxy
Pronouns: She/her
I guess where's I'd like to improve with yoga is doing longer flows again. I'm currently hanging around 10-35min sessions. I used to be able to have the stamina for a 90 minute Ashtanga class thrice a week.

Now, even 45min is too much. I did one a few days ago, the first half being vinyasa and the second half being yin. Didn't finish the yin portion, I just wanted to do savasana. 🤣

My favourite is Yoga with Kassandra.

Fremen

Mercenary from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
For now all the Yoga I do is a little bit of sun salutation repetitions like stretching at the end of the workout but I would like to go back to practicing yoga regularly, I find it very soothing :)

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
It's challenging to do it that way though!

It is!

When I was teaching BodyFlow (yoga, Pilates, and Tai Chi, choreographed to music) the sun salutations were always done 8 counts per movement. We were taught to cue one half breath (in or out) per movement. Which is easy to say. But it's not what you're actually doing when you're talking through the poses! A lot of instructors only taught. They didn't show up to be a student in other teachers' classes. And they would consequently lose sight of just how challenging it is to meter one's breath like that throughout what is a pretty vigorous flow.

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
Isn't it strange how you can be fit enough do to a heavy HIIT class and do a full strength workout with weights... But then NOT be fit enough to complete a long yoga class?? That's how it goes for me.

Different training modalities make different demands on the body. Yoga involves a lot of isometric holds--often at or near the end of one's ROM, which makes them harder--versus weight-lifting where you're primarily doing isotonic contraction. HIIT challenges your cardiovascular system, but you're usually moving too quickly to think much about what you're doing. In yoga we slow things down--but it's all about finding awareness in what we're doing. (Which can become pretty intense in those long plank holds--or even worse: long chaturangas!) So the mental demands can be very different too.

Thuban-the-Blue

Alchemist from Milky Way Galaxy
Hi!

I've begun a Travis Elliot 30 day program on Youtube (EMPOWERED) .
I've done 3 days so far and really enjoying it.
I'm also doing a minimum of 12 sun salutations every morning.

I would like to try and do moon salutations before bed but haven't tried one yet.

I've done yoga on and off for a few years but never managed to do more than a few days in a row.
This time i'm determined to complete 30 days and then hopefully set myself another 30 day challenge.

I'm going to use DAREBEE as supplementary exercises for my abs, upper and lower body.

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
I got the chance this afternoon to use the big room for a full hour and a half! I did a 45 minute active practice, followed by shavasana and 30 minutes of Yin. The active practice included 35 minutes of standing poses with a strong focus on traditional Ashtanga alignment in each pose and 1 minute+ holds for everything. It kicked my butt! The five-minute Yin holds were pretty intense too! Shavasana was nice though.

:bored:

Heniek

108 chaturangas is a lot for me!

Doing both sides I thought would count as 1 but at the event it's 2, so 54 each side. After each round of 10 each side the teacher who paced everyone changed and did their version. When I did Sivananda in '73 both sides count as 1 and we always did 12.

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
Doing both sides I thought would count as 1 but at the event it's 2, so 54 each side. After each round of 10 each side the teacher who paced everyone changed and did their version. When I did Sivananda in '73 both sides count as 1 and we always did 12.

I learned Sivananda-style as my first sun sal too, although we did 6 each side and counted that as 12.

In BodyFlow (back when I was teaching it--the program has a different choreographer now, so things may have changed) the exact form changed from program to program, but it was basically Sivananda although often with added twists. We did 2 reps per side.

When I did 108 in one day I did Ashtanga-style sun As, so no one-sidedness there. Just 108 reps all the same.