Exercising for disabled people

River2763

Hi, I'm 16, and since I was born, and all my life I've been disabled. My left hand only goes to a bit over my elbows and I don't have any fingers from it, which makes it so a bunch of common exercises including hands range from being way harder to pretty much impossible for me. Recently I've been thinking about taking my health more seriously and starting to exercise, which lead me to finding this website. So I'm here to ask - How followable are these plans for a disabled person? Can I reach similarly satisfying results even if I can't do all exercises? How can I make up for the exercises I can't do? Thanks in advance for any answers.

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
"Motivation is temporary. Discipline is forever."
Hello and well done for wanting to take control of your health! None of the workouts and programmes here are written in stone. If there is something you can't do, leave it out or try to adapt it. Have a look through some of the workouts to get an idea of the types of exercises there are and note the ones you can do.
Programmes like Baseline can be a good place to start.
I understand that your left arm limits you but do your legs? There are loads of lower body workouts that look at improving strength and cardiovascular fitness.
You have to remember that fitness is a journey, not a destination. It will take time but if you're willing to put in a bit of work - and I don't mean hours and hours of strenuous exercising! Start slowly and build up - you will improve, you will see results. How satisfying they are will be up to you, but we're here to help you on your journey and assist you in any way we can. I hope you give this place a try.

amy987

Hello,
It's inspiring to hear that you're thinking about taking your health seriously and starting to exercise. Even with a disability, it's absolutely possible to develop a fitness routine that works for you, and you can absolutely achieve satisfying results.
Here's how you can approach it:
1. Adapt Exercises
floridablue
Many exercises can be modified to suit your ability. For instance:
Push-ups: You could try push-ups on one hand or modify them to use your forearms or knees.
Pull exercises: Instead of traditional pull-ups, you can use resistance bands or a pulley machine to simulate the movement.
Core exercises: Many core exercises don't require hands, such as leg raises, planks (you can rest on your forearms), or bicycles.
2. Focus on What You Can Do
Your lower body, core, and right arm can still engage in many types of exercises like squats, lunges, leg presses, crunches, and one-arm dumbbell exercises. Developing strength in these areas will help build a balanced physique.
3. Adaptive Equipment
There are many forms of adaptive fitness equipment and tools available for people with disabilities. You might want to explore options like:
Wrist wraps: These could help stabilize or support exercises that typically require both hands.
Resistance bands: These are versatile and can easily be adapted to your needs.
4. Work with a Trainer
Finding a trainer with experience working with people with disabilities could be highly beneficial. They can design a program specifically for your abilities and make sure your form is safe and effective.
5. Mind-Body Connection
Since your left arm may be limited, compensating with other muscles and stabilizing your body becomes more important. Exercises that enhance balance, core strength, and mobility can help support overall strength development.
6. Don't Compare—Focus on Your Own Progress
It's important to set your own benchmarks and avoid comparing your journey to others. With dedication, you can achieve strength, health, and fitness goals that are uniquely satisfying for you.
To directly answer your question, yes, you can absolutely reach satisfying results even if you can't do every exercise in the traditional way. With modifications, adaptive equipment, and focusing on the exercises you can do, you'll build strength and see improvements over time.

Last edited:
Back