How to lower cholesterol

Marzattack

"Be Strong - Be Active - Be empowered."
My clinic has a new nurse practitioner and she had my wife and me get bloodwork done. I hadn't had it done since 2018 and my cholesterol for both of us was over the target range. I'm 71 years old November 2023, on zero meds and want to keep it that way. I've been guilty of way too much saturated fats and that's the enemy (what I've read) We should not go over 22g a day and to lower we should not go over 13g a day.

The goal is to get cholesterol under control for the next blood test in 6 months.

Last edited:

murina

When lowering cholesterol without medication, it is important to eat plenty of soluble fiber (oats, beans, lentils, fruits, and vegetables), choose lean protein sources (fish, chicken, tofu), and limit saturated and trans fats (red meat, full-fat dairy products, processed foods).

Of course, it is essential to exercise regularly (30 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise most days of the week).

It's also important to quit smoking if you do*

from Australia
"So Far No Limits"
When lowering cholesterol without medication, it is important to eat plenty of soluble fiber (oats, beans, lentils, fruits, and vegetables), choose lean protein sources (fish, chicken, tofu), and limit saturated and trans fats (red meat, full-fat dairy products, processed foods).

Of course, it is essential to exercise regularly (30 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise most days of the week).

It's also important to quit smoking if you do*
Agree with the fiber. I have a target of 30g minimum a day of fiber

Marzattack

Did blood work again and total cholesterol dropped a fair bit and only slightly still above range, so I'll continue with what I've been doing. Everything else is great.

graoumia

None from France
"Doing Fighter codex / Epic Five"
Did blood work again and total cholesterol dropped a fair bit and only slightly still above range, so I'll continue with what I've been doing. Everything else is great.
Good news; congrats for your results. I would also add to focus on good fats, because if i understood well, the most important with cholesterol is the ratio between the good one and the bad one.

Marzattack

@graoumia lots of good fats since doing vegan challenge and still eat much that way, avocados, all kinds of nuts and seeds.

1aeacd91d2d8c17116029d2ae8cc992f.jpg

Last edited: