Hydration and electrolytes

Salmanislam44

Hi..
Not sure if this has been discussed here before, but wondering if any guidance on how and what to hydrate with post/between exercises?

I feel unusually cold at random times and someone suggested it could be lack of hydration/essential electrolytes.
I have looked at the OTC available hydration salts but seem like all of them have good amount of Carbs which I am trying best to avoid and hence this query.

Thanks

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
Fitness and Hydration
I drink 500ml to 1000ml of water during training, less in winter and more in summer.
A normal 500ml bottle of water to sip while you train avoids the risk of not drinking enough.
As for electrolytes, they make sense if you do very long workouts where you sweat a lot, otherwise water is enough for normal workouts.
It's just my opinion :)

Henryk

Warrior Posts: 62
"The truest SUCCESS is but the development of self."
You should be able to get all in food, not so much extra salt unless you sweat a lot. I used a food tracker to see my levels of sodium, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium . Plain coconut water is great, avocados, oats, bananas, potato and watermelon are also great. Don't be afraid of carbs, you need them. I take room temp water to the gym or green tea.

Last edited:

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
Pronouns: She/her
I make a Sole for electrolytes. You can google Himalayan salt sole. It's just water than has been saturated with salt, like a concentrate. I add a tablespoon to my magnesium supplement at night to help me sleep better.

Before taking it though, just get a good picture of how much salt you generally add to food. A teaspoon of Sole is only about ~500mg of sodium, but I don't add huge amounts of salt to my food. I'm usually not even halfway to the DRV, which is why I can do a tablespoon.

Potassium generally isn't an issue, the human diet is pretty abundant in it. But meats, bananas and sweet potatoes (even regular potatoes) are good sources.

The only other ones to look out for are calcium and magnesium. Those are good to supplement with anyway if you can, especially because our soils are depleted and our food doesn't have as much of them as they used to.