New Workout Plan for Kids?

Tiaan

Hey Guys

Could you assist me with an work out for my 7 year old, Pre-school, After-school and Before-Bed. He and is brother are supper active with Swim, Gymnastic, Cross country and weekend Hiking and trail running. I am looking for a 2 or 3 min program, just to activate some of the muscle, not really breaking a sweat.
I was looking through around 60 of the pages, but could not find anything I am looking for, for them.
I am looking for a simple, low exercise numbers, easy and fun for them,

15 sec Full plank
15 sec elbo plank

5 push-up
10 Shoulder tap

10 Squat
10 Calf raise

10 Flutter kick
5 Back extension.

These 8 exercises on one page, We will start on single sets, in start to move up to double or triple.

I am not sure if you create personal workouts, If you do, It will be super cool and fun for my kids having there own personal page!

Thanks Tiaan

Deadoks

Viking from Belgium
"Berserker"
7 years old... i would not not advice heavy exercises like pushups... But yeah I don't want to debate about why.

Find some easy 1 to 2 difficulty level workout and adapt the repetition to lower them.
Change workout everytime that they enjoy it new and keep the one they prefer.
Not everyday exercise as kids play a lot at shool also.

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
Welcome @Tiaan !

DAREBEE does not create personal workouts, no.
(The workout gift exchange was a special event we did for the December holidays in which DAREBEE members created workouts for one another. The workouts in the main DAREBEE database are designed by the DAREBEE team to be suitable and effective for a wide population of exercisers.)

I disagree with @Deadoks . It is fine for healthy, active children to perform push-ups. Ditto for any of the bodyweight exercises you will find on DAREBEE.
DAREBEE overall is all-ages friendly. There are some workouts and programs designed specifically for people with certain mobility issues--but it sounds like you and your kids don't need to worry about that!

Here are some resources on the site I recommend for your situation:
  1. The Workout Filter. The link I've given you there is filtering for full-body no-equipment workouts. But you can filter for additional options as well. (See the list on the sidebar.) Don't worry about the number of sets listed for any particular workout. Set and rep numbers are chosen to try to optimize each workout for specific training benefits--but to a large extent this will be personal based on each individual's conditioning level in any case. If your kids get bored doing the same exercises over and over and over again, it is fine to do just one set of a workout, then move on to a completely different workout. The important thing is to have fun being active so your kids will want to keep doing it!
  2. The PE Workbook. This is a PDF the DAREBEE team put together when the Covid-19 pandemic forced a lot of children into remote learning situations. It includes 100 DAREBEE workouts which all require no equipment and very little space. You can download the PDF for use offline and even print it out, if you like.
  3. DAREBEE Exercise Cards. These are a fun way to add more movement into anyone's day. You can print them out onto cardstock (or just regular paper and then glue them onto stiffer paper) and use them as a deck of cards. Draw a random card and do the exercise it depicts. Or let your kids look through the deck and pick a few cards to design their own workout. Or make up your own games with them.
  4. DARE Dice. These are another fun tool for fitness games. Print them off, fold and tape them into dice, and roll them to determine which exercise to do and for how many reps. For more variety in exercises, you could design your own dice using exercises from this chart and this one. (Just print off the posters, cut them up, and glue them onto your dice however you like.)
I hope this helps!

Deadoks

Viking from Belgium
"Berserker"
My bad I didn't read it good and I see now that they're already active, my bad.
But I still stay cautious with heavy exercise that can have a bigger impact on children growth, muscle, tendons, bones... Even active children at the krav maga club I gave lesson we were adapting the lessons for younger one with less of these. It was in the cursus to be a coach to adapt depending of the age. So ok but but attentive to their body, joints,... Any pain is a no go for the next days... Adapt the workout in consequence.

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
@Deadoks the fear that children will be harmed by strength-training is based in myth.

Strength training with equipment can be problematic for young children because the equipment is not sized properly for them. Also: everyone--young and old alike--should be properly trained in how to use exercise equipment so as to be able to use it safely and effectively. People who lack the cognitive ability to learn how to use a piece of equipment safely should not use that equipment. This obviously rules out giving free weights to a toddler. But we each develop physically and mentally at different rates, and there is no set age at which a child can begin to train safely with any specific piece of exercise equipment.

Bodyweight training, however, is safe and effective for healthy people of all ages. Bodyweight training is ideally scalable because smaller people have smaller bodies! A seven year old doing push-ups is lifting a lot less weight than you or I have to lift when we do push-ups, and they're lifting it on a much shorter lever as well. The human body is designed to be able to lift and move the human body. Even babies as young as 1 month old start working on lifting their own heads--which is a pretty big weight compared to the size of a baby!--and most healthy infants can fully support their own heads by around 6 months of age.

Please see this review, which discusses common myths, evidence-based benefits, and current recommendations regarding strength-training in children. It is definitely okay and beneficial for healthy children to do it!

Tiaan

My bad I didn't read it good and I see now that they're already active, my bad.
But I still stay cautious with heavy exercise that can have a bigger impact on children growth, muscle, tendons, bones... Even active children at the krav maga club I gave lesson we were adapting the lessons for younger one with less of these. It was in the cursus to be a coach to adapt depending of the age. So ok but but attentive to their body, joints,... Any pain is a no go for the next days... Adapt the workout in consequence.
Hey @Deadoks, Thanks for the input and advice, apprised support input and advice. I agree with you, Weight training could be an issue with kids, for a few reason, Kids have no idea there own strength, and they love to show off and love exploring!!! We are very conscious about there bodies, especially because they so active with us, Swimming (my oldest has since done a Aquathon) and just today he did his club Gymnastic competition, where he was awarder 2de over all place out of 22 kids in his class! Super Proud Parents!
Next weekend we have a 13 km trail run with a 700 m alleviation, this will be my youngest, 5 and half year old first solo run (My following him few meter behind him), He did a few in my hiking carrier backpack with a few km running with us as a family.

We don't push them, ask them or guide them into these sports, They ask they want to try or go look at it and then allow them to decide if they want to try it or not. They both are asking to go and try rugby practice and Game time (New Sport), need to find time some where!! I am a big believer in giving your kids opportunities! Canoeing, SUP, Golfing, Warrior races, hiking, traveling e.g.

@Laura Rainbow Dragon provided great feedback on the exercise build plan, I will just create my own, was just trying to find out if I was able to make his own Personal exercise plan. This stuff is cool for them!!

As I said, Thanks for the support, and agree, I will stay away from weight training, but will continue with body weight training. Every kids should do it!!!!! We will have a lot better kids around in 2024, 2025 ...............

Tiaan

Welcome @Tiaan !

DAREBEE does not create personal workouts, no.
(The workout gift exchange was a special event we did for the December holidays in which DAREBEE members created workouts for one another. The workouts in the main DAREBEE database are designed by the DAREBEE team to be suitable and effective for a wide population of exercisers.)

I disagree with @Deadoks . It is fine for healthy, active children to perform push-ups. Ditto for any of the bodyweight exercises you will find on DAREBEE.
DAREBEE overall is all-ages friendly. There are some workouts and programs designed specifically for people with certain mobility issues--but it sounds like you and your kids don't need to worry about that!

Here are some resources on the site I recommend for your situation:
  1. The Workout Filter. The link I've given you there is filtering for full-body no-equipment workouts. But you can filter for additional options as well. (See the list on the sidebar.) Don't worry about the number of sets listed for any particular workout. Set and rep numbers are chosen to try to optimize each workout for specific training benefits--but to a large extent this will be personal based on each individual's conditioning level in any case. If your kids get bored doing the same exercises over and over and over again, it is fine to do just one set of a workout, then move on to a completely different workout. The important thing is to have fun being active so your kids will want to keep doing it!
  2. The PE Workbook. This is a PDF the DAREBEE team put together when the Covid-19 pandemic forced a lot of children into remote learning situations. It includes 100 DAREBEE workouts which all require no equipment and very little space. You can download the PDF for use offline and even print it out, if you like.
  3. DAREBEE Exercise Cards. These are a fun way to add more movement into anyone's day. You can print them out onto cardstock (or just regular paper and then glue them onto stiffer paper) and use them as a deck of cards. Draw a random card and do the exercise it depicts. Or let your kids look through the deck and pick a few cards to design their own workout. Or make up your own games with them.
  4. DARE Dice. These are another fun tool for fitness games. Print them off, fold and tape them into dice, and roll them to determine which exercise to do and for how many reps. For more variety in exercises, you could design your own dice using exercises from this chart and this one. (Just print off the posters, cut them up, and glue them onto your dice however you like.)
I hope this helps!
@Laura Rainbow Dragon, Thank you for the amazing feed back!! Will try a few of the options above!!
Great page, great Community feedback, Great exercise, great selection!

Thank you
Tiaan

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
@Laura Rainbow Dragon, Thank you for the amazing feed back!!
You're very welcome! And good luck!

It is awesome that your kids are so active by their own choice! You are definitely doing something right to have raised them to love being active and wanting to try so many things without feeling pushed into anything.

Deadoks

Viking from Belgium
"Berserker"
I didn't wanted to go on a debate and I'll read the review it's always interesting. I know several myths about fitness. But I keep my points the we have to be cautious with kids. I never said it's general for all kids. I said we have to be cautious for them.
And it's dangerous to put something aside because it's was placed in the myth area. The myth as more about that it's bad for all children to do certains type of exercice and we sgoumd avoid it.
What I said is that I don't advice some type of exercices because without the good knowledge it can be very bad for children and by the way for adults also. And there are a lot of person out there (the majority in fact) that have no idea about what they do for them or their children. For diet especially and for fitness also. So I prefer to always be cautious in this area.
Some big mistake can cause real problem. It would be sad to have a child with lower back problem because he make it wrong.