Why do you exercise?

EnbyFitness

Boxer Pronouns: they/them
"doing grad school and getting buff"
Heyyyy it's been a while.

I'm still playing with ADHD meds, fell off exercise for a bit (my heart was racing? I'm on a different medication now lol), got back on it, and in the process realized daily check-ins weren't really my thing. But I still exercise everyday: I'm working through the Epic Arms challenge in the morning and the Zero Hero program at night.

Why do I do that?

Well, I'm studying to be a social worker and my internship is with a national suicide and crisis hot line. Between homework and taking calls, I started sitting down... a lot. Exercise not only gives me a break from sitting, but it's also a way for me to take care of myself after I've taken care of others all day. It helps me a chance both to process and to get away from some heavy social work stuff. It's also extremely good for managing my ADHD.

So, my question for the community is: What got you into exercise? And what motivates you to continue?

Henryk

Warrior Monk Posts: 73
"The truest SUCCESS is but the development of self."
As a kid I was a weakling softy, I remember reading tabloids for free stuff and one was a rubber band chest expander/exerciser by Weider so sent for it. I got a reply saying the free giveaway ran out and they sent me details for a body building course that was 6 bodyweight and one dumbbell lesson, only problem I was never disciplined to actually workout.

KHD_1628018067.jpg
CR_1562350674.jpg

Pix: my first exercise course and 15lb dumbbells 1960's.

Discipline came much later when I joined a Tai Chi school and had to memorize all the forms, solo and weapons, not the follow along groups I see today. I walked past a fitness equipment shop and remembered my early experience with them mail order courses and this time gave it a go and bought some weights and a bench.

I also got into Yoga and joined some studios and really got into regular practice. Nowadays I go to a gym 5 mornings, Tai Chi forms every morning and some Yoga.

Last edited:

JohnStrong

Commando from Alberta
"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates"
What a great question! I think I've been waiting for someone to come along and ask it :)

I exercise because:
  1. I am @JohnStrong and I exercise every day
  2. I need to rehabilitate my body from years of sitting (I think of myself as being in rehab)
  3. I want to strengthen my body and expand it's range of motion so it's capable of more (more options = more freedom)
  4. I want to be a positive role model for my children and teach them good physical and mental health habits
  5. I want to be better attuned to reality by a) giving my mind a rest and, b) engaging in simple physical activity that gives me instant feedback
  6. I want to maximize the quality of my time remaining in my body by maximizing my well-being (also make Death really work for it)
  7. I want to honor my body which is a gift from God

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
Because it makes me feel good.
Because it is part of keeping myself in shape despite / with heart problem and other problems.
Because it is fun, here, on Darebee.
And finally, as a kind of thumbing my nose to fate that gave me a body with those heallth issues ;) You thought it'd slow me, Fate? Nanana na nere!

AquaMarie

Paladin from Texas, USA
Pronouns: she/her
"If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water."
1) Pain relief/management. Keeping my muscles flexible and strong keeps my assorted joints from complaining quite as loudly as they would otherwise.
2) My job. I love my job, and it is very physical. Exercise outside of work makes it easier for me to do what I love, and it makes it less likely that I'll pull or twist something at work.
3) Anxiety management. The feel-good chemicals are real. :LOL:
4) This one is a little weird: I think of myself as someone who exercises, if that make sense. Like, when I think about the life I want and what I would do with unlimited time/energy/money, it always includes exercise (4 days a week in my own home gym - my daydreams get very specific sometimes :imp:). So I try to incorporate that 'who I want to be' into my life now, as much as I can.