Workouts for Pregnant mothers to be

epiculande

Hi,
I’ve been a fan for over a decade. Your layouts and simplicity is wonderful, and I always try to spread the word, “you don’t need gym equipment, just do Darbee’s”.

Do you have specific workouts for expecting mothers? Maybe a pregnancy compilation?
-Father to be

Saffity

Ranger from Southern Ontario, Canada
Pronouns: She/Her
"Getting strong enough to keep two tiny humans from unaliving themselves."
While there isn't a workout plan specifically for pregnant people, as a recently pregnant person I can let you know some good ones that I did.

Big note here though: anything done should be cleared by a doctor ESPECIALLY with pregnancy. I had high blood pressure at the end of both of my pregnancies but was able to workout up to a certain point but everything was done with doctor's advice and knowledge.

The programs Square One, Reboot, and Foundation Light are all low/no impact and good places to start.

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
I agree with @Saffity . There are not a lot of hard and fast rules re: working out while pregnant except for:

1. get medical clearance from one's doctor
2. listen to your own body

Every body is different, and workouts which are or are not suitable for pregnant people consequently vary greatly, dependent upon the person's conditioning level prior to pregnancy as well as any medical concerns specific to the pregnancy in question. I have known expectant mothers participate in quite intensive workout regimens well into their pregnancies, but these were women who were conditioned athletes prior to pregnancy. Generally speaking pregnancy is not the time to try to increase the intensity of one's workout regimen (unless explicitly recommended to do so by one's doctor).

As a yoga teacher I was taught the following considerations for pregnant participants (in addition to the 2 primary rules above):
  • avoid poses which constrict breathing and/or put pressure on the abdomen (e.g.: prone positions, closed twists, crunches, etc.)
  • avoid overstretching. Pregnancy causes production of the hormone relaxin, which is necessary to enable the pelvis to accommodate the baby, but it affects connective tissue throughout the entire body. Consequently, stretching can feel significantly easier during pregnancy, but one's muscles are not prepared for that additional stretching, leading to muscle strain and discomfort.
  • be cautious and aware during balancing work. Physiological changes during pregnancy affect one's balance. Consequently we advise pregnant practitioners to take a wider stance (feet hip-width apart or wider) during standing poses, and to keep both feet in contact with the floor during balancing work, for safety.
  • avoid increasing the lumbar curve or otherwise adding load to the lower back. Most backbends are consequently contraindicated.
But again: everyone is different, and the most important considerations are to honour one's own body, and to get medical clearance before proceeding.