First Pullup Workout/Program/Challenge?

angeleyz21

from Hutchinson, KS
"Progress, not perfection"
Hello, I looked for something like this but didn't find it. I'd like to suggest anything that would help someone get to the point where they can do their first pull up.

What I'd really love to see is a workout that helps prime the muscles required to do a pullup which could lead into either a program or a challenge where progress can be incrementally made to achieve one's first pullup. For instance, it starts off with dead hangs, progresses to hangs with a pull hold (attempting to lift oneself up and holding it), then to reverse pull ups (getting to the top of the bar assisted then slowly lowering down), and finally, to the first pullup!

What do you think? :please:

Henry (thinman)

Warrior Monk Posts: 170
"Be Strong - Be Active - Be empowered."
Not long ago I could do 1 good pull-up the then struggle trying. I kept at it and now do 3 sets of 5 and sometimes max at a set of 10 - 12. Just keep at it.:bigyes:

HellYeah

Here are a few pre-first-pull-up options:

EnbyFitness

Boxer Pronouns: they/them
"doing grad school and getting buff"
I really like the idea of a program that gets you there. When I try to do a pull-up… I cannot move. All the challenges are great ways to start, but a program that requires you to do a wider variety of exercises to help you achieve this goal would also be a great help (and maybe a bit less intimidating, too).

I love the idea @angeleyz21! :approve:

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
There are many resources on DAREBEE already to help one achieve one's first pull-up. Programs, Challenges (including the ones linked to by @HellYeah above), and individual Workouts. The Guide @HellYeah suggested is also excellent.

The thing is: the journey to one's first pull-up is a lot longer than a 30-day program. It's longer than a 90-day program. (Maybe a little kid could go from zero to full pull in less than 90 days. But an adult? Likely not.) The length of the journey is going to be different for each of us and depend upon several factors. @angeleyz21 resources for the progression you're looking for are already here--but maybe not easy to find, because they are not currently all linked together as one progressive path. @EnbyFitness there are already Programs that include a wider variety of exercises than a Challenge that will help you achieve the goal of a full pull-up, but again, they may not be easy to find because the beginner-friendly ones don't mention pull-ups and--to your point of the intimidation factor--the Programs that do are mostly Difficulty Level 4 and 5 programs.

I have created a thread in the Hive Playground with the aim to pull together all of the DAREBEE Pull-Ups resources into one place, provide some guidance on how to use them to put together an appropriate Journey to Full Pull for any level of starting ability, and also provide a place where Bees who are working towards their first Full Pull can gather to share their experiences and cheer one another on. I hope you will join me there!

Back