Exhausted after a couple of days

ms.umlaut

Ten years ago or so I tried a routine which was supossed to be "light" and it left me with severe pain in my thights after the second day. I couldn't even sit.

Now I'm back again, I guess because I'm a masochist, but mainly because I feel drawn to RP routines and I felt I was in better shape.

I am, in fact, not.

I am trying Zero to Hero, and I couldn't complete my third day. After the second set my legs are woobly, I can't even walk properly, bending to sit is a nightmare, I don't have the strenght. It is supposed to be a light routine, what can I be possibly doing wrong?
I am a 1'60m 53kg female, 33yo. I am active, train swimming twice a week with no issues so far.

Hello and welcome,
It seems that you have not the stamina to do these workouts so maybe to start with level 1 programs and workouts.
As you know we need to go step by step and exercising is a marathon and not a sprint.
I can say that many years ago I started some intense workouts from a known site (of a female online trainer) and I started filling tired generally, then I was overtrained and I started again going step by step beginning walking first etc (these days I did not know dare bee)
So take care not to overtrain

ms.umlaut

Hello and welcome,
It seems that you have not the stamina to do these workouts so maybe to start with level 1 programs and workouts.
As you know we need to go step by step and exercising is a marathon and not a sprint.
I can say that many years ago I started some intense workouts from a known site (of a female online trainer) and I started filling tired generally, then I was overtrained and I started again going step by step beginning walking first etc (these days I did not know dare bee)
So take care not to overtrain
Thanks a lot! I'll forget about Zero to Hero for now...

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
Welcome to the Hive @ms.umlaut !

As @avatar has suggested, you just need to start a little more slowly.

It sounds like you need to work on improving your lower body strength in particular before tackling a program like Zero Hero.
I suggest checking out the following Level 1 programs and picking the one that appeals to you most:
  • 30 Days of Cardio Light - this program doesn't contain any squats or lunges but does contain a high volume of lighter lower body exercises that will help you build strength towards being able to do squats and lunges
  • Square One - this is a Level 1 strength-building program. It does not include lunges but does include chair squats (a light version of squatting that involves sitting onto a chair and standing back up again without using your arms) and other exercises that will help you build lower body strength
  • Vitality - this is a general fitness program that includes cardio, strength-training, flexibility, and balance work. It's likely too easy for you given that you are already active and swimming twice a week. But if you want to start with something very light, it's a good choice.
  • Foundation Light - this is a general fitness program with cardio, strength, and flexibility work. It includes half squats (a light version of squatting in which you don't squat very deep) and half squat holds.
  • Baseline - another general fitness program. This one includes chair squats.
Once you have completed one of the above, if you feel you are ready to tackle Zero Hero, go for it!
If you feel you are not yet ready, I would suggest doing a second Level 1 program and adding in a Challenge with a focus on lower body strength. (You can further filter this search by difficulty level--see the options on the left-hand side.)

Some good Challenges to try:

You'll feel a big difference in your squats and lunges after strengthening your glutes and hamstrings!

Reverse lunges with a knee raise at the end. You'll increase your volume incrementally over the month, gradually building strength and endurance.

This one is billed as a flexibility challenge. But it will help you with those side lunges too.

I hope some of these suggestions help!

Back