hen

Posts: 7

Combining second spring with archery

I have done Soma 40+ with great success (no menstrual migraine that month!). So I am excited to try the second spring program next! I appreciate the no jumping cardio instead of the HIIT of Soma 40+, I had replaced the HIIT days with "easy" cardio because of high blood pressure and to be gentler on the pelvic floor, both common issues in the target group I guess ;)
Anyway, I do archery once a week and wonder what day that should fall on, as it is an upper body strength workout in itself. Should I start the program such that the archery day is far away from the upper body and full body strength days? Or should it be on the upper body strength day? And then see whether the archery should replace that day's exercises, or do them complementary/compensatory?
 
Hi @hen !

This really depends on your conditioning level re: how much you can do in one day and how much recovery you need between workouts. If you only need one recovery day between upper body workouts, you could line up the yoga days in the program with your archery day. The yoga workouts include very little upper body work. So it should be fine for you to double up yoga with archery. If you find it's too much to do three upper body workouts in a week, however, then I would line up archery with the upper body day and then modify what you do from the upper body workouts--perhaps reducing the rep volume, perhaps skipping some of the exercises, or skipping those program days entirely and just doing the archery. Your body is your best guide re: which option is best for you.