conversions/substitutions help

RangerX

Boxer from Kansas
I was wondering if there was a way to convert one of the running programs into a cycling program. I still want time based and not miles based workouts (easier to time things on bike than to figure distance) any suggestions? also can i convert any of the dumbbell programs into a barbell program i know for most exercises its easy but things like lat raises not so much? reason i ask is due to injuries and limited equipment. anything helps. maybe this will inspire future programs

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
I was wondering if there was a way to convert one of the running programs into a cycling program. I still want time based and not miles based workouts (easier to time things on bike than to figure distance) any suggestions?
Sure. You can simply cycle for the time specified instead of running. An easy switch for the programs where running days are just running. For the Cardio Trim Run Power Run days you'd need to hop on and off the bike a lot, but it's still doable.

Are you asking though because you're still having trouble with plantar fasciitis? If you just prefer cycling to running, you can totally just swap out timed running for cycling the same amount of time. (You won't get the same benefit of preparation for a specific running distance, which many of the running programs are designed around. But you'd still get the strength, speed, endurance, and cardiovascular benefits of those programs.) If you're asking because running is contraindicated for you due to an injury, however, you want to stay away from Cardio Trim Run entirely at this time, as the cross-training exercises include a lot of jumping, which would also be contraindicated for you. Some of the other programs could still work, however. I would suggest looking through them to check that you are okay with all of the cross-training exercises, and if there's a specific exercise that doesn't work for you at present, and you don't know a suitable modification, you can ask for suggestions specifically for modifying/swapping out that exercise.

also can i convert any of the dumbbell programs into a barbell program i know for most exercises its easy but things like lat raises not so much? reason i ask is due to injuries and limited equipment. anything helps. maybe this will inspire future programs
Is this an injury issue or an equipment issue? You can do lateral raises with resistance bands, which are generally inexpensive to purchase and don't take up much storage space. If you have the means to safely anchor one end of your barbell to the floor, you may also be able to closely approximate some of the dumbbell exercises with landmine exercises.

RangerX

Boxer from Kansas
Sure. You can simply cycle for the time specified instead of running. An easy switch for the programs where running days are just running. For the Cardio Trim Run Power Run days you'd need to hop on and off the bike a lot, but it's still doable.

Are you asking though because you're still having trouble with plantar fasciitis? If you just prefer cycling to running, you can totally just swap out timed running for cycling the same amount of time. (You won't get the same benefit of preparation for a specific running distance, which many of the running programs are designed around. But you'd still get the strength, speed, endurance, and cardiovascular benefits of those programs.) If you're asking because running is contraindicated for you due to an injury, however, you want to stay away from Cardio Trim Run entirely at this time, as the cross-training exercises include a lot of jumping, which would also be contraindicated for you. Some of the other programs could still work, however. I would suggest looking through them to check that you are okay with all of the cross-training exercises, and if there's a specific exercise that doesn't work for you at present, and you don't know a suitable modification, you can ask for suggestions specifically for modifying/swapping out that exercise.

Is this an injury issue or an equipment issue? You can do lateral raises with resistance bands, which are generally inexpensive to purchase and don't take up much storage space. If you have the means to safely anchor one end of your barbell to the floor, you may also be able to closely approximate some of the dumbbell exercises with landmine exercises.
So yes I'm still having the plantar fasciitis am on feet 9 hours a day and walk 5 to 7 miles a day 5 days per week nd even with new shoes and shoe rotation it's still sore all the time. Am working with doctor but also chronically tight calves want to do 8 weeks to 5 k but it's walk run program should I just stay on bike for both walk and run parts but turn up resistance for run part? Also weights is an equipment issue.

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
So yes I'm still having the plantar fasciitis am on feet 9 hours a day and walk 5 to 7 miles a day 5 days per week nd even with new shoes and shoe rotation it's still sore all the time. Am working with doctor but also chronically tight calves want to do 8 weeks to 5 k but it's walk run program should I just stay on bike for both walk and run parts but turn up resistance for run part? Also weights is an equipment issue.
I would say stay on the bike the whole time, cycle easy for the walk segments and cycle faster for the run segments. You don't need to be doing any extra walking at this point, I don't think.

8Wto5K doesn't include any jumping, so it's likely a good choice for you. Just be mindful of how you're feeling both at the start and end of your workouts. If your foot feels worse at the end than when you started, you want to back off and/or switch out to exercises that stress your injury less.

Keep up with whatever physio exercises your doc gave you, and I would say also warm up your feet before doing a workout (The Ankle Recovery and Sore Feet workouts are good for this, and for strengthening the feet too.) Plantar fasciitis can take a long time to heal, unfortunately.

RangerX

Boxer from Kansas
I would say stay on the bike the whole time, cycle easy for the walk segments and cycle faster for the run segments. You don't need to be doing any extra walking at this point, I don't think.

8Wto5K doesn't include any jumping, so it's likely a good choice for you. Just be mindful of how you're feeling both at the start and end of your workouts. If your foot feels worse at the end than when you started, you want to back off and/or switch out to exercises that stress your injury less.

Keep up with whatever physio exercises your doc gave you, and I would say also warm up your feet before doing a workout (The Ankle Recovery and Sore Feet workouts are good for this, and for strengthening the feet too.) Plantar fasciitis can take a long time to heal, unfortunately.
Thanks for the help. So the reason I want to do eight weeks till 5k and I'm going to do like a yoga program first before I even start on that. But it's cuz I got a boxing match coming up at the end of February and when you can't jump rope and you can't jog it makes it very difficult to do the traditional boxing training. So I'm trying to figure out a way to substitute it with the bike as much as possible and it's a little elliptical bike but it doesn't really track distance

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
Thanks for the help. So the reason I want to do eight weeks till 5k and I'm going to do like a yoga program first before I even start on that. But it's cuz I got a boxing match coming up at the end of February and when you can't jump rope and you can't jog it makes it very difficult to do the traditional boxing training. So I'm trying to figure out a way to substitute it with the bike as much as possible and it's a little elliptical bike but it doesn't really track distance
Cool.

The distance doesn't matter. You're fine to measure progress with time. (Especially since you're doing the bike as cross-training, not to train for a specific cycling race distance.)

Take a look also at Power-Up. It is an add-on program, with each day's workout taking only 4-12 minutes to complete. 8 Weeks to 5K will help you train cardio, endurance, lower body strength, plus some core and a wee bit of upper body strength. But you lose a significant amount of the upper body work switching from running to the bike. (No pumping of your arms on a bike.) Power-Up is a full-body strength training program with a focus on tendon strength. It will amp up the core and especially upper body work that you need for boxing and be a good compliment to the running-converted-to-cycling program for you, I think.