Coping with seasonal depression

AgentDragon

Bard from Maryland
Pronouns: they/them
Disclaimer: I have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder since I was ten or eleven, but I do not, as far as I know, have seasonal affective disorder. I just wanted to say that up front to avoid misleading anyone.

I have a good deal of personal experience with depression, and even though I am much better at managing my symptoms now than I was as a child, I find that those no-energy days seem to come more frequently in the dark winter months.
So, I wanted to start this thread where we can all talk about how we handle this, share advice, and perhaps vent a bit—whether you have a diagnosed mental illness, suspect you may have an undiagnosed one, or just experience the “winter blues.” All are welcome.

f1shtacular

Honeybee from 'MURRCA
Pronouns: she/her
Hey Dragonbuddy. I'm sorry that you're going through this, I completely understand given how my depression tends to get S P I C Y (peppermint flavored, maybe?) this time of year.

A rule I go by is, "do what you can." And be proud, if you can, of what you did. Even if it is small. Right now, the two of us are playing on hard mode. We ought to take the smallest victories and treat them as they're the equivalent to a Nobel Prize - As we should, frankly. But that requires us to do a small victory every day. Whatever that may be is up to you - Maybe you're a writer, and you were able to write 100 words despite how you feel. That's amazing! Even if the 100 words sucked, you still did it.

A victory doesn't have to be groundbreaking. A victory can be anything that makes you say, "I did that."

And honestly just... Talking to people on here is helpful. This community is so lovely and kind.

One more thing - Do not feel ashamed of your coping mechanisms. One way I coped when my grandmother passed in 2017 was playing a lot of Skyrim and Dragon Ball: Xenoverse. Skyrim is just cozy and Xenoverse gave me quick quests to do that I could say "oh hey, I did it!" when I completed them. If it isn't a detrimental mechanism, then go for it.

We love you, Dragonbuddy.

asumpt1

Disclaimer: I have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder since I was ten or eleven, but I do not, as far as I know, have seasonal affective disorder. I just wanted to say that up front to avoid misleading anyone.

I have a good deal of personal experience with depression, and even though I am much better at managing my symptoms now than I was as a child, I find that those no-energy days seem to come more frequently in the dark winter months.
So, I wanted to start this thread where we can all talk about how we handle this, share advice, and perhaps vent a bit—whether you have a diagnosed mental illness, suspect you may have an undiagnosed one, or just experience the “winter blues.” All are welcome.
I'm wondering if humans aren't "wired" to want to hibernate. I'm going to start a new Darebee program...can workout indoors and warm myself up. But in the winter I want to sleep more, and more reluctant to want to do fun things, crave more carbs, etc.