Decision fatigue with choosing programs

Valkyrie Tina

Anyone else having issues with how to decide what program to choose? I just saw the new 40 soma program, and got excited like a dog with a ball (I am 46 and the program is exactly what i was looking for). So, I want to do it! Yeah!!!
Only... I also wanted to do the 8 weeks to 5k running. And strength training with my partner. and what if we go climbing on the weekend? Can I manage two workouts? und so I run in circles, getting more and more anxious, and at the end, all my enthusiasm just collapses.
How do you choose? Do you have a strategy? Or were you clever and did the programs when they came out?

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
Two programs at the same time (not counting the add-ons of course) is ... a lot. Maybe the weather will make it easier to do the runnning now, or in 2 - 3 months, depending where you live and how you bear different weathers? That could be a good argument for / against. And if worst comes to worst, throw a dice or a coin ;)

Valkyrie Tina

Two programs at the same time (not counting the add-ons of course) is ... a lot. Maybe the weather will make it easier to do the runnning now, or in 2 - 3 months, depending where you live and how you bear different weathers? That could be a good argument for / against. And if worst comes to worst, throw a dice or a coin ;)
I live in Sweden, so, yes, in winter, I had the situation of "the roads are pure ice, you are gonna break your ankles if you run now." ( i have tried to finish this running program since it came out, but then, ice. Or covid.) That would be a point for running now (at the moment, Stockholm is the most wonderful place on earth) . the point for the soma is that it is brand new- and that I looked for a special program for menopause. I need to do some weight training, and running sadly doesn't provide that at all.
Ah, well, i think I actually will throw a coin.

JohnStrong

Commando from Alberta
"If not me, who? If not now, when?"
My suggestion would be to select the easiest, funnest looking program to start with. Once you're 2 weeks deep into that, you might have a better idea of how much more you could handle. Keep in mind the Darebee motto: Fitness is a journey, not a destination. If you can keep your journey fun and one that you look forward to every day, you're set 😊

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
I throw myself into the program that inspires me the most and do that, at most I also give myself a challenge, after 30 days I repeat :)
I completely understand feeling like a kid in a candy store but after many attempts and failures I understood that for me it works to do only one thing, the one I like the most at that moment, the rest if I still like it I will do it later.

Valkyrie Tina

Thank you. Gonna see
My suggestion would be to select the easiest, funnest looking program to start with. Once you're 2 weeks deep into that, you might have a better idea of how much more you could handle. Keep in mind the Darebee motto: Fitness is a journey, not a destination. If you can keep your journey fun and one that you look forward to every day, you're set 😊
I went for the fun-aspect, and so I am gonna do the new program first. I just tried the running program so often already (never got far, either I got Covid, or a snowstorm came), I would love a change. Maybe I am gonna cheat one day and just do running instead of training, but - yeah. Anyway, I am really looking forward to do something bigger again. Thank you all for your input! It really helped me.

Valkyrie Tina

I throw myself into the program that inspires me the most and do that, at most I also give myself a challenge, after 30 days I repeat :)
I completely understand feeling like a kid in a candy store but after many attempts and failures I understood that for me it works to do only one thing, the one I like the most at that moment, the rest if I still like it I will do it later.
But there are so manyyy, I wanna eat them all. I mean train them all :LOL:

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
But there are so manyyy, I wanna eat them all. I mean train them all :LOL:
Wanna catch'em all shiny badges, right?! I can understand that, LOL!
Episode 1 Wow GIF by Funimation

Rocinante

Scout from NJ USA
There is the "Hard Reset" programs that are designed to be done simultaneously, just at different times of the day, one cardio + one strength. Using that as reference, I did something similar with 8 weeks to 5k and a couple more general programs. Given how gradual the build up is in 8 weeks I don't think its out of line to do something else at the same time, depending on your starting level of fitness. And to be honest it wound up being almost 10 weeks to 5k for me - I did a few days more than once before moving on, but overall I didn't find it too much.

AceofSwords

Warrior Monk Posts: 196
I'm a fan of die rolls and coin tosses. If there are more than one program calling for you RIGHT NOW, declare how to randomize them. If the coin toss / die roll picks one and something in your heart thinks you might want to reroll / reflip, eliminate that one and put it in the slot for the next one to do after the one you're deciding on. If at that point, you know which one to choose, go ahead and get started.

Things to keep in mind that might be of use:

Are any of them add-on programs? They're designed to stack with other programs.

What's the challenge level of these programs? When I first started several years ago I was wanting to do them all, and I got hit with an ankle injury, so I was forced back to easy programs (level 1 - they're great for rehab!). It helped keep me active, but after that, I was working my way back up to harder programs. You could do them all, but in order of easiest to hardest.) I would not, unless I was extremely fit, tackle two level fives at once.

You might want to pick a program to focus on an area that your non-workout strenuous activity *doesn't* hit. I made the mistake of starting Power Builder a bit before summer and now I'm doing a lot of kayaking. The upper-body days and kayaking do not stack well, and when I get a nice day, the kayak wins.

I hope all this plus the advice others have given is useful. Good luck and have fun!

Back