Hands Up if You Live in the Path of Totality for Today's Solar Eclipse and Are Expecting COMPLETE CLOUD COVER

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
:welcome:

This seems to be the story of our life in southern Ontario these days. All the lunar eclipses that might have been visible from our area over the past decade happened on nights that were so cloudy, the moon wasn't visible at all.

I just saw a report about communities in Canada which are on the cusp of totality. The reporter repeatedly referred to specific communities as having "snuck their way in" to the path of totality. Like the cities themselves hitched up their skirts in the middle of the night and marched on down the road a few clicks to get in. :LOL: Will these cities return to their original locations after the eclipse? Or will Canada be left with a string of strange city-sized holes across our landscape? ;)

PSA: If you are able to see today's eclipse where you live, please view it safely!

MadamMeow

Fae from Central NJ
"I see my vision burn, I feel my memories fade with time, but Im too young to worry..."
Sorry you couldn't see it. :hug:

We had a lot of clouds where I am, but I was able to get a few peeks.

Don't worry, I had the special glasses. And from a prior eclipse, they brought out the welding mask which worked, too.

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
Sorry you couldn't see it. :hug:

We had a lot of clouds where I am, but I was able to get a few peeks.

Don't worry, I had the special glasses. And from a prior eclipse, they brought out the welding mask which worked, too.
Actually we got lucky and the cloud cover cleared. I did not stare at the sun as I did not have glasses. (I have some suitable film somewhere, but I did not dig it out.) I did go outside though. I wanted to experience the eclipse not through any technology but with my naked eyes, watching the world fade to twilight in the middle of the afternoon, and then brighten again. And also to people watch, which was interesting.

I saw an RV pulled over at the side of the road. People who had parked in a vacant lot. (Some of these screamed when totality occurred.) One of Shelby's friends had a viewing party in her back yard, with her human and three others, all with telescopes. They were very happy. Told me they had seen the diamond.

Lots of traffic on the roads heading north not long after totality--people traveled from pretty far down into my area and just south of me to the Lake Erie shoreline--when the showy bit was over, they were done, heading home to dinner, trying to beat the traffic. But I also saw two people sitting on a park bench, huddled beneath blankets, still staring up at the sun through their eclipse glasses, long after we were back to full daylight (from my perspective--I didn't have a watch with me either, but I expect they were still seeing the moon taking a bite out of the sun).

MadamMeow

Fae from Central NJ
"I see my vision burn, I feel my memories fade with time, but Im too young to worry..."
Actually we got lucky and the cloud cover cleared. I did not stare at the sun as I did not have glasses. (I have some suitable film somewhere, but I did not dig it out.) I did go outside though. I wanted to experience the eclipse not through any technology but with my naked eyes, watching the world fade to twilight in the middle of the afternoon, and then brighten again. And also to people watch, which was interesting.

I saw an RV pulled over at the side of the road. People who had parked in a vacant lot. (Some of these screamed when totality occurred.) One of Shelby's friends had a viewing party in her back yard, with her human and three others, all with telescopes. They were very happy. Told me they had seen the diamond.

Lots of traffic on the roads heading north not long after totality--people traveled from pretty far down into my area and just south of me to the Lake Erie shoreline--when the showy bit was over, they were done, heading home to dinner, trying to beat the traffic. But I also saw two people sitting on a park bench, huddled beneath blankets, still staring up at the sun through their eclipse glasses, long after we were back to full daylight (from my perspective--I didn't have a watch with me either, but I expect they were still seeing the moon taking a bite out of the sun).

So glad you did get to experience it. That sounds so cool!

Heard a lot on the news today about people that had gone up to Canada for this. Glad I wasn't in that traffic, but turned into one of those "man, if I wasn't working" type of moments. That would have been amazing. :happy: