Hip grinding/pain

caetielle

Honeybee from Nova Scotia, Canada
Hello folks. I'm taking some real baby steps towards getting into better shape. I'm happy with my weight, I'm not looking to build any impressive muscle, I just want to be tired and sore less, and I was told years ago this would help. Think I'm finally in a place to act on it! I am 35, female, 5'8", around 130-140lbs. I take the bus to work and I'm on my feet a lot at work so I do move around, but I'm relatively stationary at home (mostly seated). I thought the Vitality program seemed like a good place to start, but I've run into a problem.

I've been getting this grinding/clicking sensation in a few of my joints in exercises that involve a wide range of motion. It happens a little in my shoulders with things like arm rotations, and it's weird feeling and uncomfortable but I can power through it. In my hips though, especially my right hip, it's painful. The first day I did single hip rotations my right hip ached for two days after, just to stand on. I just ignore that exercise when it comes up now, but I'm wondering if anyone knows why this is happening? Has anyone else encountered this? Am I doing something wrong with my form?

Thank you for reading!

Last edited:

Tileenah

Warrior from France
There are numbers of things that can cause pain while rotating hips. Most of them can get better with exercise and muscle strengthening. If the pain is too strong and doesn't get better after a few weeks of regular exercise you should go to a doctor so he can check your hips. There's only so much one can tell without proper medical examination.
In the meanwhile, look for exercises that reinforce your lateral hip muscles (gluteus medius), your adductors, quadriceps and gluteus maximus, and test again for pain during hip rotations in a few weeks.
Good luck with the rest of your program!

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
One way to see what you are doing during an exercise in which you feel pain is to look in the mirror, often you immediately understand what is wrong.
If not, try reducing the range of motion so that it doesn't put too much strain on the joints and reduce the repetitions, if the pain continues change your exercise and try some alternative.
We all have weak points, the game is to be able to improve them a little while avoiding getting hurt, so small attempts are made by adjusting the shot depending on how it goes :)

Silverrey

Paladin from Kansas City, KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His
"Knocking the rust off."
Something that helped me was doing the motion of exercises with little to no weight on my legs/hips. Going through range of motion in the pool or while laying in bed helped both to find the catch point and seeing if it was an issue with my form or the joint. It can also help to get started strengthening the joint if it gives you to much trouble at the start. It can feel really awkward when one side is weaker than the other so the advice I was given was to try and reduce weight as much as possible but try to do the exercise a bit more often until it gets easier.

Using a mirror or recording yourself really does help. Especially with the hips watch the side that doesn't hurt for form issues. Taking extra weight on the opposite side due to balance issues is so natural that it is almost harder to not do it.