Motivation

Damer

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Warrior Monk from Terra
Pronouns: He/Him
We sense motivation as a feeling. Something we are able to do because we know it's good/right/healthy/moral/all of the above. But motivation is a neurochemical message that causes charged ions to build up in the gap between cell receptors. When that charge reaches a certain value then an electrical impulse (called an axon potential) takes place and the neurons fire which causes us to engage in an action. When the ion value reaches the required threshold for action potential to take place we can no more stop it than we can stop the sun from rising.

To simplify all this however think that motivation is simply an action that takes us from a place of dissatisfaction to one of satisfaction. We take action the moment our state of dissatisfaction reaches that critical threshold. Reaching for a sandwich when you're really hungry is one such example. Pulling your hand away from a hot stove is another. The first one is voluntary (to a degree) the second is involuntary, meaning we have no conscious control of it (to a degree). Going on a hunger-strike is a case that negates the first example, walking on coals is one that negates the second. In both cases we've overcome our natural tendencies by re-evaluating what feels good and what feels bad, and why.

My point: when you lose your motivation and don't feel like exercising, talk it out. Ask yourself why? Run a self-check of what's changed in your life. Establish why you're exercising in the first place. Analyze your feels not your thinks. :LOL: I hope this helps you when you feel there's something wrong with you because you no longer want to exercise or find it hard to stick with a program. There isn't. We're organic, dynamic, incredibly complex machines. But we have a mechanical side and a neurochemical one. By understanding our feelings and re-examining our values we can better control the brain that controls our body. I hope this helps fellow Bees.

Bull

It’s not about motivation for me. It’s about me trying to do to much thinking ahead in my workouts. Instead of being in the moment.

Damer

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Warrior Monk from Terra
Pronouns: He/Him
@Bull motivation is a neurobiological response that takes us from a place of relative discomfort to a place of relative comfort. If you're not enjoying the moment then the next moment you're heading towards is equally uncomfortable and therefore hard to move into. This is why we stop. Have fun. The fun aspect is what keeps us going. Everything else then will fall into place with time.