Stronger everyday

JohnStrong

Commando from Alberta
"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates"
:onfire: Best Thing completed :onfire:

Aside from my streak goal, I have a weight loss goal to drop 7.6 lbs by December 24th to reach a goal weight of 180 lbs. No plans to adjust diet at this time because I believe I eat pretty clean, but will revisit if progress is slow. Main strategy is to increase physical activity, which looks like at least 2 Darebee routines daily; some occasional weighted bar exercises (I should probably look up a Darebee challenge for that). I fear jogging may be necessary to reach my goal, lol. Maybe I can dream up another viable type of cardio. We'll see 😉

Day 8/20 of streak goal

JohnStrong

Commando from Alberta
"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates"
Completed Daily Push-ups :v:

I exercise daily now, choosing a workout from my Darebee Volume #4 book. Love the books! My goal is to complete every workout on every level of difficulty.

I really liked this video from @Damer , it helped me reflect on the pitfalls I've fallen into on my fitness journey. Feelings of guilt and shame, over missing a workout or falling short of a fitness goal, have definitely been a factor. When I reflect on it, allowing guilt and shame to factor into the variance that occurs on a life long journey just doesn't make sense. There will always be hills and valleys - should you become angry because you could not manifest a uniform prairie? Additionally, 1) I don't enjoy expectations leering over my shoulder every day (others or my own), 2) If I encounter a friend who is struggling I am going to respond with kindness and curiosity, not judgement and condemnation - why should it be different for myself?, 3) This is about something bigger than exercise streaks (though it can be a useful tool). For me it's about forging a new identity with more physical activity at it's core. Daily exercise is a component of that process, but mental and emotional regulation are just as important.

I am also realizing that as I form new, healthy habits - and notice the fruits of my efforts - I tend to get a bit excited and ambitious about taking on more new things, habits, rituals, tasks, etc. and really lose perspective on the burden of stress it imposes. I am going to try and remember to play the long game (tortoise mode) and take it slow.

"Form a line please, wait your turn. Only 1 life-encompassing transformation at a time."

Me: "I know, I know! Let's go on 2 journeys at the same time!"
Also me: "Multiple personalities? Yes. Multiple bodies? No, sadly. Can't be two places at the same time, without consequences."

= = =

My wife has started her own journey related to diet and is making great progress. Though not diagnosed with "addiction", she felt out-of-control when it came to food. Much like like an addict might feel powerless to make the choices they know to be right. So, she took a look at the literature of Alcoholics Anonymous to see if she could glean some wisdom from it. I'm happy to say we've both learned a lot from all the real-life testimonials contained in the books. One of the recovered alcoholics said something that stuck with me:

"Hi, I'm an alcoholic and I'm not going to drink today. I don't know about tomorrow. But I do know, come hell or high water, I'm not taking a single drop today."

There's something liberating to me about his statement "I don't know about tomorrow". Maybe it's about liberation from 'worry'. Because we don't know what tomorrow will bring, we don't have any purchase in tomorrow. Today, meanwhile, is where we have all the power to choose. One today at a time.

JohnStrong

Commando from Alberta
Another great video

Injury-free plan:
  1. Go slow
  2. Listen to your body
  3. Be your on coach
My family and I are on a short trip to celebrate my wife's birthday. I'll be heading down to our AirBnB's gym facility to exercise shortly. Using a 10+ years old bluetooth keyboard to type this post on my phone.

My wife is doing a great job with her diet plan and is keeping to her commitments with thorough planning. She is demonstrating to me (who failed to plan a few things of late) that lack of planning is simply planning to fail.

On the subject of my own emotional regulation - just being in a new place and breaking up our normal family routine has been it's own monkey wrench. Different people. Different pace. More time than usual in the car. There's a bit more impetus for me to recognize my needs and assert myself, because in our daily routine these typically fall into place through habitualization. I start to feel a bit more fragile than I thought I was! That's fine, grist for the mill.