Switching sides question

Oberon

Should you do all the reps of one side, then switch? Or alternate?

So, if an exercise says 12 reps, do you do 6 left, then 6 right? Or do you do 1 left, 1 right, 6 times? Does it matter?

Solution
@Fremen :u:

There is nothing wrong with that :LOL: you are just working your cardiovascular system more when you switch sides every time. When you switch sides each time you're using your core to reposition and realign your entire body and you activate specific satellite muscles to regain your balance. This increases the energetic load felt by the body in each rep and, in its totality, it makes greater demands in oxygen and blood supply on the circulatory system, hence its cardio label. It also takes a bit longer to complete. Quite a few workouts we have can be labeled both strength and cardio depending on how you execute them. I just had this discussion the other day in our workshop. The slower you go, the more you focus on...

Oberon

Most of the time it will be half Left , half Right ; look at the manual https://darebee.com/manual.html for confirmation. Have fun!
The manual doesn't address this question; that's why i asked. All it says is:

"Number of reps is always a total number for both legs / arms / sides. It’s easier to count this way: e.g. if it says 20 climbers, it means that both legs are already counted in - it is 10 reps each leg."

But again, that doesn't address whether to bunch them or alternate them - all it says is to do it 10 times each, not 20 times each.

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
@Oberon hi,
Most of the time it's up to you BUT, there is a good rule to follow:
Are you focusing on cardio? Alternate sides with every rep.
Are you focusing on strength and tone? Do half and half.

P.S. it's something we were going to add to the manual but as we are doing so many things all the time - it fell down the (very, very long) list.

I do hope this helps! :please:

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
there is a good rule to follow:
Interesting explanation, I've always liked changing sides every time :)

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
@Fremen :u:

There is nothing wrong with that :LOL: you are just working your cardiovascular system more when you switch sides every time. When you switch sides each time you're using your core to reposition and realign your entire body and you activate specific satellite muscles to regain your balance. This increases the energetic load felt by the body in each rep and, in its totality, it makes greater demands in oxygen and blood supply on the circulatory system, hence its cardio label. It also takes a bit longer to complete. Quite a few workouts we have can be labeled both strength and cardio depending on how you execute them. I just had this discussion the other day in our workshop. The slower you go, the more you focus on building muscle. The faster you go, the more you use up oxygen and glucose from your bloodstream. The difference is marginal and it is a bit of simplistic explanation but it's something you can keep in mind and switch things up when appropriate.

There is also a brief video by @Damer that makes this exact same point about execution of an exercise:

I hope this makes sense and helps :please:

Solution

Oberon

@Oberon hi,
Most of the time it's up to you BUT, there is a good rule to follow:

P.S. it's something we were going to add to the manual but as we are doing so many things all the time - it fell down the (very, very long) list.

I do hope this helps! :please:
Thank you; that helps very much!