What's power breathing?

Solution
I am not sure what the Team meant in that particular workout with their description, what they had in their mind.
But how "I" understood the Power Breath is that it helps strengthen your lower core.
By breathing into your stomach first, its called diaphragmatic breathing. Instead of breathing into your chest, which is more shallow, the belly breathing goes more deep.
I often have to think when reading on it about the Wim Hof Breathing method, which also starts first with the stomach, continues to the chest and even further, lets call it head: filling therefore everything with oxygen to its full extent. Do you know the Wim Hof method?
While looking at that workout in particular, lets call it stretching exercises (and I am still thinking...

TheLibrarian

I am not sure what the Team meant in that particular workout with their description, what they had in their mind.
But how "I" understood the Power Breath is that it helps strengthen your lower core.
By breathing into your stomach first, its called diaphragmatic breathing. Instead of breathing into your chest, which is more shallow, the belly breathing goes more deep.
I often have to think when reading on it about the Wim Hof Breathing method, which also starts first with the stomach, continues to the chest and even further, lets call it head: filling therefore everything with oxygen to its full extent. Do you know the Wim Hof method?
While looking at that workout in particular, lets call it stretching exercises (and I am still thinking that lvl 4 is the wrong classification, but thats only my opinion and we had that discussion already in the past in another thread), that belly breathing can help especially with some exercises like pigeon pose or child pose.
Let me explain: think on the child pose in that particular workout. When you now do the power breath, and since we know that the power breath goes into the stomach first, therefore the lower core, which than also grants stability, etc. you therefore get also a more intense stretching. You could also go a step further (i read that somewhere and it works, at least for me, so when doing the power breath with those exercises I always do it!): when you finished the power breath, and still be in that position: hold the breath! and try to "press" maybe even try to press and channel it in the area of the stretch / pain, like tighten your muscle before inthe end releasing the breath. Through that you even can go deeper into that position / stretch / pain and gain more flexibility. And while letting the breath go at the end, you than go deeper into the exercise and therefore reaching further before you continue and starting anew with the breath. Its like the exhale grants you even more mobility. Try it out.
Of course I can be utterly wrong, but at least that is how I understood it, and maybe it helps you in your question. If you stumble upon another interpretation, or if someone else have another understanding of it: please fell free to correct me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

Damer

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Warrior Monk from Terra
Pronouns: He/Him
@broli Power breathing is deep breathing with a slow rhythm than can increase relaxation responses through the activation of the parasympathetic nervous system. At the same time it helps decrease stress responses by inhibiting the sympathetic nervous system. As a whole it regulates the nervous system and helps induce a sense of wellbeing through the release of specific neurotransmitters. I hope this helps explain it a little better. There are studies on this but if memory serves we have a guide on the subject coming up and that will have all the relevant references, as usual