Decorating For Christmas

Marzattack

"Be Strong - Be Active - Be empowered."
When I was about 4 - 5 in the 1950's we had real trees with really nice decoration plus live candles (bit of a fire hazard), the ceiling had Chinese crepe paper decorations swung across from all over.

Maegaranthelas

Bard from The Netherlands
Pronouns: They/them
"I sing and I know things"
I don't really have the space for a whole tree, but I plan to take some of the ivy colonising my hedge and string it under my bookshelves. I did that last year and it just felt right, bringing some yuletide nature in and hanging decorations from that ^_^

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
Well, the place where I live is actually owned by a grey panther so I'd need to adapt. I put more things like a few (big non-knockable) candles , larger decorations, and Christmas calendars (yep, two - tea and beauty products, I confess!!!). I kinda miss having a nativity scene, but that's definitly not mixable with Mademoiselle Luna.

AgentDragon

Bard from Maryland
Pronouns: they/them
"I just needed to get that off my chest"
I love making Christmas decorations! A couple years back, I made a tree garland by folding about a thousand (or so) tiny paper stars and stringing them together with a needle. Then, last year, I made a similar garland to hang in the large living room window, this one with more color variation and beads between each star. I think that one turned out even better! If I ever make more for other rooms, I’ll probably vary the sizes too.

IMG_5917.jpeg

This year’s big decorating project isn’t for me. My littlest sister just went off to university, and even though she will be home for winter break, I thought it might be fun for her to have something she can use to adorn her dorm for the first half of December. The issue is that decorations take up storage space, which is in very short supply for her. So I devised a plan: three-dimensional snowflakes that can be collapsed so they can be stored flat when Christmas is over. I’ve doodled out some snowflake designs, cut three copies of each out of cardstock, and figured out how to slot them together so they hold a 3D shape while still retaining the ability to be flattened without getting damaged. I’ve only made a few so far, but I am quite proud of them!

IMG_5918.jpeg

Last edited:

Marzattack

"Be Strong - Be Active - Be empowered."
One year I made a whole bunch of origami folds for hanging, like cranes, elephant, frog and more. I had a book and a special pack of coloured origami paper. We have an indoor plant that is very much like a Crimble tree, a Norfolk Island Pine (over 4 feet tall) and has 3 origami cranes at the mo. We don't bother in our apartment much since our kids are all grown up, keep things fairly minimalist.

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
@Henryk 's video reminded me of that, as I said, very little decoration in this wolf's den, BUT I have Christmas Music - starting the first Sunday of Advent, not earlier. Some classical selections, some carols, and ... Dave Brubeck's La Fiesta de la posada. That one I MUST listen to on the first Sunday of Advent ;)

OJJJEM

Mother of Dragons Posts: 585
I don't decorate for Christmas until St. Nicholas Day. However, the tree doesn't get decorated until Yuletide begins... We decorate with old ornaments from our childhood... things that we made or received over the years, and things that our children have made or received. Before then, it's just lights. No ornaments. We literally deck our halls with boughs of holly from the 2-story holly tree behind my home. The Christmas tree and mistletoe come from the property, too. Stockings line our fireplace, and the tea tray becomes a cocoa corner. Outside, we have a sad looking Christmas tree in our backyard that we light up for fun, and my kids love to light up the bushes in front of the house. Our front door is bare, but the side door (everyone uses the side door around these parts) has small, homely wreath hung on it every year that I've grown kinda fond of... HAHAHA! The only piece that goes up early is the string of greetings cards that I receive throughout the season. I hang them above my mantle.