Exercising and running during poor air quality days

BravoLimaPoppa

Viking from Houston TX
Pronouns: He/him
Hi everyone.
I live in an area that's had a lot of ozone action days over the last 2 weeks, and it's cutting into my running and training.
Can I please get some advice on how to train when the day is tagged as high ozone? And I mean more than just exercise indoors.
Thanks!

Solution
I feel you on the poor air quality issues! Training indoors, with your windows closed, is unfortunately the best option, coupled with using air purifiers, and avoiding activities which increase indoor air pollution. If I need to be outside during poor air quality events, I wear an N95 mask, which provides significant protection against fine particulate matter, but unfortunately not against ozone. As @lpf suggests, if you have the ability to alter the time of day of your workouts, that can help too. With all the wildfire smoke this year, I've been monitoring my local AQI and forecast even to inform when and how far I walk my dog. (Her lungs are sensitive to pollution too, and I unfortunately cannot put a mask on her!)

lpf

Rogue Posts: 290
"“I am, and always will be, the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes, and the dreamer of improbable dreams.” (Eleventh Doctor)"
Hi everyone.
I live in an area that's had a lot of ozone action days over the last 2 weeks, and it's cutting into my running and training.
Can I please get some advice on how to train when the day is tagged as high ozone? And I mean more than just exercise indoors.
Thanks!

For the running, it might be an option to run early in the mornings.
Usually the quality of the air should be better in the mornings

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
I feel you on the poor air quality issues! Training indoors, with your windows closed, is unfortunately the best option, coupled with using air purifiers, and avoiding activities which increase indoor air pollution. If I need to be outside during poor air quality events, I wear an N95 mask, which provides significant protection against fine particulate matter, but unfortunately not against ozone. As @lpf suggests, if you have the ability to alter the time of day of your workouts, that can help too. With all the wildfire smoke this year, I've been monitoring my local AQI and forecast even to inform when and how far I walk my dog. (Her lungs are sensitive to pollution too, and I unfortunately cannot put a mask on her!)

Solution