I feel like I'm doing this wrong...

Veridigo

Spartan from Canada
So background, I've been regularly exercising since June of this year. I enjoy it, and have made it a part of my regular routine. So far to date, I've done the following programs (I've done multiple at a time represented by ordered pairs <a,b,c> which I just learnt is probably not a good idea...) <Foundation, Survival Mode Workout Daily>, <Baseline, Arms of Steel>, <Ironheart, Total Abs, 1-Min HIIT>, 14 day break due to a trip to Japan but LOTS of walking, <Ironborn, Code of Abs, Power HIIT>, <Unbound, Bootcamp, Ten>, <30 Days of Yoga, (rest of) Bootcamp, Epic Five> and lastly I am currently doing <30 Days of Yoga (again. not 30 more. same as before), Express Tone, Cardio Trim(stopped)>. Always doing a warmup before working out, and doing Morning Stretch afterwards.
My goals, in order of personal importance, are 1.) feeling good, 2.) Weight loss, 3.) Looks/Hypertrophy, 4.) Strength.
As for weight, started at ~180 lbs (~82kg) and have fluctuated around 160 lbs (~73 kg) for the past few months.
Diet, well I leave with my family, so I have little control over it. But the meals are protein dense, and I try to avoid junk food and over eating whenever possible.

Ok. Now, the situation.
First, I recognize that impatience may have gotten the better of me and shifted my views which programs. As mentioned before, I never really got the memo to not go doing a bunch at once. Second, recently the motivation has been low, and at this point I'm running off routine and discipline, rather than desire. Beginner gains have been had and now it takes a lot more effort. I workout first thing in the morning, immediately after I wake up. But recently I've been feeling like it's taking too much time, and the time being spent feels inefficient. Which lead to doubt, which lead to me rethinking my approach to working out. I struggle to find the "Your level +1" type workouts or programs. In the sense that most things feel either too easy, too hard, about my level but it isn't increasing it. Which is made worse by wanting more general fitness rather than focusing heavily on one thing. Another balancing issue is finding the point where you go hard enough to grow, but without going so hard you hurt yourself.

Sorry for the long rambling, now for the actually question.
Please be brutal and straight to the point. Is there anything / what things am I doing wrong? Or alternatively, how can I build a better routine?
Ideally, I'm aiming for something that can be done daily, is repeatable with occasional variation, focuses primarily on weight loss with a good mix of strength, and lastly is enjoyable.
I'm open to all advice, or opinions on the matter. At the end of the day, I'm not too prideful to refuse to lower my head and listen to those with experience. The goal is to improve my body and keep it healthy. Not to ignorantly destroy it.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the wall of text.

Last edited:

bloody dunmeri

Spartan from Samara, Russia
Pronouns: she/her
"Pick your guts from the floor (c) Goliath by Architects"
here's at least me for the walls of texts tbh so no need to apologize for it =)

I don't think you're doing anything wrong though. You just need to structure your training so it doesn't take lots of your time and/or all your energy AND MOST IMPORTANTLY your will to actually workout, in my humble opinion.

I'd suggest looking at the training plans DAREBEE provides here. Every plan can be used for weight loss as long as you're in caloric deficit. Also, these plans are good because you don't have to workout every single day — they're 3-4 days routines with additional [active] rest/casual training days. You can also pick a different workout every week for a specific day so you're not bored with the same stuff =)

I'd also suggest picking up one 30 day challenge on top of that just for fun =)

And there you have it, a «healthy» workout routine to follow!

Veridigo

Spartan from Canada
here's at least me for the walls of texts tbh so no need to apologize for it =)

I don't think you're doing anything wrong though. You just need to structure your training so it doesn't take lots of your time and/or all your energy AND MOST IMPORTANTLY your will to actually workout, in my humble opinion.

I'd suggest looking at the training plans DAREBEE provides here. Every plan can be used for weight loss as long as you're in caloric deficit. Also, these plans are good because you don't have to workout every single day — they're 3-4 days routines with additional [active] rest/casual training days. You can also pick a different workout every week for a specific day so you're not bored with the same stuff =)

I'd also suggest picking up one 30 day challenge on top of that just for fun =)

And there you have it, a «healthy» workout routine to follow!
I really appreciate the input!

I like the idea of mixing things up with the challenges, and the versatility of using the plans/workouts instead of the programs.
Although my concern with it is "will it be enough?" and if I feel like doing extra, how do I go about it without messing up the plans?
Another thing is figuring out which workouts to pick. Trying to keep everything balanced, and also doing certain exercises I don't like but I should still probably do.

Do you have any additional advice on those points?

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
"Motivation is temporary. Discipline is forever."
That depends on what you do. Some of the programmes, for example, are lengthy in terms of time, particularly the ones that involve running. It also depends on what you like to do and what you have time to do. There is nothing that says you can't go for a run or swim or bike-ride or hike, etc in addition to exercises. Just time them carefully. Additionally, you can always slow down the exercises you are doing. Make every push-up a 3-count. Slow down eccentric portion of weight-lifting. And then you can go faster on every timed exercise. Count how many high knees you do in that 20 seconds and next set, go for more.
Importantly, you really need to try to discover exactly what your goal is in order to be able to achieve it. You cite weight loss, strength and enjoyment. Great aims - very nebulous. You could do any of the running programmes but if you hate running, there goes enjoyment (though there is nothing to say that you can't slot in another cardio exercise there, such as rowing or dancing instead).
The issue, perhaps, with the training plans is that unless you have a clear goal, it can be difficult to select workouts that actually work what you want to work. You could, however, have a great time just picking fun workouts but then you might find yourself shying away from exercises you don't like (burpees, I'm looking at you!) even though you think you ought to do them.
My suggestion is to find a couple of very specific goals, such as
- increase push-up number by 5
- reduce waist measurement by 2cm
- run 5km
- strengthen knees so I can do a pistol squat
and then put in a time by which you want to achieve these things
- by 1 March
- in eight weeks
A specific goal and a timeframe makes it easier to find the programmes/plans/workouts that you need to achieve them.

Veridigo

Spartan from Canada
That depends on what you do. Some of the programmes, for example, are lengthy in terms of time, particularly the ones that involve running. It also depends on what you like to do and what you have time to do. There is nothing that says you can't go for a run or swim or bike-ride or hike, etc in addition to exercises. Just time them carefully. Additionally, you can always slow down the exercises you are doing. Make every push-up a 3-count. Slow down eccentric portion of weight-lifting. And then you can go faster on every timed exercise. Count how many high knees you do in that 20 seconds and next set, go for more.
Importantly, you really need to try to discover exactly what your goal is in order to be able to achieve it. You cite weight loss, strength and enjoyment. Great aims - very nebulous. You could do any of the running programmes but if you hate running, there goes enjoyment (though there is nothing to say that you can't slot in another cardio exercise there, such as rowing or dancing instead).
The issue, perhaps, with the training plans is that unless you have a clear goal, it can be difficult to select workouts that actually work what you want to work. You could, however, have a great time just picking fun workouts but then you might find yourself shying away from exercises you don't like (burpees, I'm looking at you!) even though you think you ought to do them.
My suggestion is to find a couple of very specific goals, such as
- increase push-up number by 5
- reduce waist measurement by 2cm
- run 5km
- strengthen knees so I can do a pistol squat
and then put in a time by which you want to achieve these things
- by 1 March
- in eight weeks
A specific goal and a timeframe makes it easier to find the programmes/plans/workouts that you need to achieve them.
Thank you!
I'll try to implement these as well!
Most of my goals tend to be very vague or too long term, so I'll try making some more specific "checkpoint goals".
Also I think trying to increase intensity on lower difficulty workouts might be what I've been looking for. Stuff like speeding up cardio, trying to increase reps in HIIT exercises, or slowing strength exercises.
Thanks for the advice! Now time to hit the drawing board and work on applying the advice!

Shaarawi

Hunter from Alexandria, Egypt
My recommendation is ty to know your level of fitness that will help you where to start and measure your progress.
This can be done as recommended by Darebee Fitness Test

Keep a record of the output in spreadsheet
Date
push-ups
sit-ups
basic burpees
Level
Weight

so as you said "The goal is to improve my body and keep it healthy" Plan your day as following and select workout or programs depending in your Fitness Test Level

warm-up : every day
upper body Day 1 and 4
abs Day1 and 4
lower body Day 2 and 5
cardio Day 3
stretch Every Day

Day6 and 7 rest

(this as example you can customize it as you wish but stick to it)

Every 30 Days do the above Fitness Test to check your progression and movitave yourself

Do not compare yourself with others and keep yourself more patient and listen to your body response.

Hope this help!

bloody dunmeri

Spartan from Samara, Russia
Pronouns: she/her
"Pick your guts from the floor (c) Goliath by Architects"
I really appreciate the input!

I like the idea of mixing things up with the challenges, and the versatility of using the plans/workouts instead of the programs.
Although my concern with it is "will it be enough?" and if I feel like doing extra, how do I go about it without messing up the plans?
Another thing is figuring out which workouts to pick. Trying to keep everything balanced, and also doing certain exercises I don't like but I should still probably do.

Do you have any additional advice on those points?
I back the more experienced @TopNotch on what he said!

Henryk

Warrior Posts: 62
"The truest SUCCESS is but the development of self."
@Veridigo I go to the gym 4-5 days a week and find splitting body parts. Monday is just leg work, Tuesday is push (DB bench press) and pull. Wednesday is arms and then Thursday shoulder area. Then next workout maybe legs again. At home I do other stuff but splitting I can put more effort to an area in a short time.

Recently lost about 10lbs just by tracking my saturated fat 13g (22 max) a day and cholesterol no more than 200mg (300mg max)

I was at the 50+gym today and it was leg day, 5X6 barbell squats 145lb, leg press machine 285lb 3X10 plus calves, standing hamstring curls then finished with deadlifts. Did 5 reps with 45lb on each end then added 35lb each end then since Joe had the other Oly plates added two 20lb KB for one rep 245lb. My bodyweight has been steady at 145lbs age 71.

Last edited: