I guess I'm getting older or what?

Ladislav

Scout from Budapest, Hungary
Pronouns: he, him
"Rookie"
Hi there, dear Community members,
I am 55 years old, have been working as a grid control center dispacher at local electricity company, so I have been sitting for a very long time...
Of course I always do my best to compensate the not moving with regular excercises often doing the workouts from here.
So my question is: why do I feel, that the more regular I try to move, the more I feel pain somewhere? I try to follow David's tricks, move slowly, concentrate to my body signs, warm up before, strech after the workouts. This is not muscle ache, I hurt my tendons, my joints. Where do i make it wrong?
Thank you for your help.

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
I'm 51 and face the same problems :)
Try to pay attention to what is good for you and what is bad for you, not all exercises are the same and above all not all ways of doing them are the same.
If I train in the gym with weights then I am full of joint pain while if I train bodyweight I hardly have any problems. It's just an example to make you understand that at our age it is essential to do good exercise which is good for us :)

Marzattack

Jedi Posts: 116
"Be Strong - Be Active - Be empowered."
I'm 71 and feel great, lift heavy weights (245lb deadlift) as well as classical calisthenics. My last job of 13 years was a general labourer for a builder so always on the move all day. I'm 5' 8" 140lbs.

No joint issues and on zero meds, eat healthy with a lot of variety.

Ladislav

"Rookie"
I'm 51 and face the same problems :)
Try to pay attention to what is good for you and what is bad for you, not all exercises are the same and above all not all ways of doing them are the same.
If I train in the gym with weights then I am full of joint pain while if I train bodyweight I hardly have any problems. It's just an example to make you understand that at our age it is essential to do good exercise which is good for us :)
Oh, thanks for your reply. Yes, I really have to be careful. I do not even dare to think about lifting weights, just thai-chi and the workouts with 1-2 difficulty range from this site.

Last edited:

Ladislav

"Rookie"
I'm 71 and feel great, lift heavy weights (245lb deadlift) as well as classical calisthenics. My last job of 13 years was a general labourer for a builder so always on the move all day. I'm 5' 8" 140lbs.

No joint issues and on zero meds, eat healthy with a lot of variety.
Dear Marzattack, it is amazing what a strong body you have.
Congrats.
Unfortunatelly here in Hungary all my acquaintances at about your age are actually crippled, with a lot of problem from nose to toe. Wish you a long and powerful life.