Is a treadmill usefull as an extra to the exercise programs when having chronic illness?

Friday

Warrior from Belgium
"FibroWarrior on a mission"
Anyone using a treadmill in extra? I tend to use one for walking indoor at times when going outside is not possible for me.

As I have fibromyalgia, it is not easy to keep exercising, nor moving in general. But I would like to intrude something to do/use daily to get in shape again.
A better shape leads to less pain...

What are your experiences? I'd love to discuss this.

Thanks all! Keep up the good work!

Ingrid

Shaarawi

Hunter from Alexandria, Egypt
Anyone using a treadmill in extra? I tend to use one for walking indoor at times when going outside is not possible for me.

As I have fibromyalgia, it is not easy to keep exercising, nor moving in general. But I would like to intrude something to do/use daily to get in shape again.
A better shape leads to less pain...

What are your experiences? I'd love to discuss this.

Thanks all! Keep up the good work!

Ingrid
Hi @Friday

I did some research I found Mayoclinic
  • Exercise regularly. At first, exercise may increase your pain. But doing it gradually and regularly often decreases symptoms. Appropriate exercises may include walking, swimming, biking and water aerobics. A physical therapist can help you develop a home exercise program. Stretching, good posture and relaxation exercises also are helpful.

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
@Friday hi and welcome to the community!

It's extremely useful. I use my treadmill almost daily. I work from home so I don't move as much as a regular person (except my workouts) so it's a real lifesaver for me. If you can walk from 30 to 60 minutes a day it's an ideal fat-burning window. We also have walking challenges and a program if you want to do something more consistent.

I hope this helps!
:please:

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
Welcome to the Hive @Friday !

As @neilarey said, if you use your treadmill, it is extremely useful! Walking is a great exercise for most of us, and having a treadmill at home lowers the barriers for actually doing it, since you don't need to worry about the weather, or traffic, or how much time you have, or even what you're wearing. It also allows for multi-tasking (listening to a podcast/news/music/audio book, talking on a cell phone, watching television, reading, etc.) while walking in a much safer environment than doing so out on the street.