Turning Trials into Triumphs... or trying to at least

Nelliel

Guardian from Canada
"Strength is not just about power. It is the will to keep pushing forward even when everything seems hopeless."
After years of recovering from a right leg injury and finally reclaiming my life, fate struck again with a trimalleolar fracture and dislocation of my left ankle. It feels like everything I've worked for, fought for and dreamed of has been cruely snatched away. While I acknowledge it could be worse, facing two decades of consecutive serious injury recoveries weighs heavily.

I refuse to let this get the better of me, I'm too stubborn for that. So everyday with each small but meaningful effort I'm fighting back and determined to turn this trial into a triumph.

Entering the third month of recovery, I've just begun assisted weight bearing and ankle mobilization exercises. The journey so far has been humbling, isolating, frustrating, and exhausting. But here I am, standing at the crossroads of challenge and resilience. This is my path now, and I'm determined to navigate it with courage and perseverance.

:singlehop: my angry foot
1000007780.jpg

Last edited:

Nelliel

Guardian from Canada
"Strength is not just about power. It is the will to keep pushing forward even when everything seems hopeless."
June Reflections
Overall Progress:
This month has been a challenging but overall accomplished month. On June 6th, I switched from a fiberglass cast to an air cast. After an initial refitting, it provided much-needed comfort and support. However, pain remained prohibitive due to both the injury and the overuse of my right leg from being restricted to crutches at home.

A major turning point was getting a superstar PSW who helped make my apartment more wheelchair accessible, significantly reducing the strain on my right leg. No more kicking food from the fridge through the hall, past the litter boxes, through the living room, and into the bedroom—yay! Rest and getting my replacement runners also helped alleviate my heel and ankle pain in my right leg, making it easier to get around.

On June 20th, I was cleared to begin physiotherapy with my stubbornly unmoving foot and I was reminded of the kill bill "wiggle your big toe" scene at every attempt. I have started with light manual joint mobilization and semi-weight-bearing exercises with crutches . While progress has been slow, I’ve achieved some wiggle room in the joint, and I’m fairly chuffed about that.

Trials
Physical:
- Ongoing pain and swelling
- Difficulty sleeping
- Low energy and limited capacity
- Higher energy requirements
- Skin hardening, thickening, thinning scaling and sloughing
- Constipation :(

Nutritional:
- Analysis paralysis
- Adjusting to 170g protien diet
- Loss of appetitie and interest in eating

Emotional:
- Overwhelmed
- Depression
- Isolation
- Overall feeling of loss

Environmental:
- Heatwave
- lack of home accessibility
- limited access outside (parking lot only)
- lack of access to food
- lack of access to clean clothes and sheets
-lack of access to temperature control and windows

Supports
- Cats
- Therapist
- Partner & Friends
- PSW
- Chat GPT
- Finch App
- Hobbies: Cross Stitch and Diamond Paintings ;)

Triumphs
Physical:
- Bones are healing well!
- I can wiggle my foot!
- I can kinda stand on my foot!

Nutritional:
- Consistent with supplements
- Discovered I can make high protein coffee
- Ate reasonably healthy
- Kept hydrated!

Emotional:
- Acknowledging, accepting and working with in my limitations
- Refocussing on celebrating small victories over limitations and losses
- Rejoined online gaming so i can be with friends virtually and enjoy some artificial scenery
- Using chat GPT for support, coaching and planning
- Continued cross stitching for mental health
- Took up diamond painting for variety :)

Environmental:
- Completed bedroom setup with kitchenette, computer and accessibility enhancements.
- Got out side to the courtyard one day with help from a friend.
- Wheel chair accessible apartment thanks to my psw :)
- Began setting up a prep space on the dining table
- Painted my air cast power ranger pink

While this month has taken an eternity to pass I managed to make it through and make quite a bit of progress along the way. I'm looking forward to gaining more ground and independence in July as I work towards walking without crutches in my aircast and further adapting my living space.

Until next time
quentin tarantino blood GIF

Last edited:

Nelliel

Guardian from Canada
July 3

Physical:
I didn't sleep well last night due to pain and discomfort. I only got 3hrs sleep. Foot was quite swollen when i woke up. got a good nap in after my dr appt.
Started the square 1 program day 1 level 1. Had to do some modifications of course like leg lifts in bed single leg. Hip circles with crutches. I'm getting very good at walking with crutches and partial weight bearing but my laminate floors are kinda too slippery for toeing off in the boot I will probably switch to practicing in the apartment hallway where there's carpet and simply more room. Did some ankle mobilization and band work as well. foot is pretty pained now that its late in the evening.
Foot care, checked cleaned foot, gentle massage, removed dead skin.

Nutritional:
Ate pretty well aside from skipping breakfast because I was too tired to make something.

"Breakfast"
Coffee with collagen
Lunch
thai food, lamb, rice, mango salad
Green tea with collagen
Dinner
Salmon poke with grain and sea weed salad topped with avocado and edamame (this was all made with pre-made ingredients so it was perfect for my depleted energy levels and surprisingly the best tasting pseudo poke ever).
Chopped veggies for meal kits tomorrow and organised them for cooking with the psw

Mental/Emotional:
Exhausted but feeling accomplished i did an awful lot today.
My knee scooter got approved I'm so relieved and looking forward to being able to get to the courtyard in my compound for some fresh air.

Environmental:
30C with 80% humidity has been brutal.

Last edited: