Using a sword instead of katana

MrDave

Viking from Israel
So, I recently got into HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) and for now I'm training with the group's spare swords, but I'm on my way to own a sword of my own. A real one, just not sharpened. And I was wondering if it's okay to do programs (e.g. Ronin's Blade) and workouts designed for katana with a sword. Okay as in that it won't be incorrect because it was designed for other equipment. I suppose that's a silly question, but anyway.

Henry (thinman)

Warrior Monk Posts: 152
"Be Strong - Be Active - Be empowered."
I have a 2.5lb Chinese 1.5h sword and same weight Chinese 1h sabre that I do Tai Chi forms with and more dance like. I also did Aikido and Kenjutsu weapons for 4 years with bokken (hardwood katana) I would recommend for Darebee katana exercise use a hardwood bokken. For very fast use a shinai (bamboo). I have a steel katana also 2.5lb weight not sharp but have done cutting practice using plastic bottle filled with water.

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
I don't see any problem with Darebee's programs and workouts :)

Henry (thinman)

With the bokken workout you go for a swish sound, with a heavy sword like a 2.5 katana it could cause a strain when repeating a movement many times. I do my sword at home so it's not like I have the space of a gymnasium then be very active. A European 2h sword can weigh around 4lb, a Conan movie replica around 9lb.

Shikari

Mystic from R'lyeh
"The wind breathes where it wills and you hear its sound, but you don’t know where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit"
Hey, @MrDave . Good question. There's not a thing wrong with using historical European swords for the exercises here, as long as the sword you would use is designed for a two hand grip. The various "Witcher" work outs here are designed for European type swords, anyway.

As @thinman described, the difference in weight between what the illustrations show (a basic wooden Aikido type bokken) and what you want to use may require good judgement. A good starting point might be to weigh what you intend to use and compare that to a wooden bokken weight (about 1.5 - 2 pounds), and if there's significant difference, reduce the number of reps per set. As a test run, do 1 set and see how you feel. Adjust as needed.

Have fun and be safe.

Henry (thinman)

Some years back I made a training sword, the duct tape jobby in the photo. It had a thick grip and weighed 5lbs, I would do my Tai Chi forms with it and my weapon forms included doing a mirror version with other hand.

QZJ_1556971151.jpg

MrDave

Viking from Israel
Thanks everyone for the answers and suggestions!
I'll have a longsword which will be around 1.5 kg in weight (~3,3 lbs)

I will definitely try out the workouts designed for longswords/broadswords first, and when I'll move on to katana-based stuff, I'll see how well it translates to sword use.

By the way, @thinman, your sword collection is impressive!