Where should I run to?

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
Pronouns: You there
"Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being... it is up to all of us to become his moral superior. Vetinari/Pratchett"
Hello Darebeeans

Since Darebee is not yet an independent country, I was hoping you could help me decide where I should go to next.
Where do you guys live, do you like it there, where would you like to live in?

Thanks in advance

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
I would start by asking myself if I want to live by the sea, in the mountains, or inland?
In a big city or in a village?
I would try to make this thing into a kind of wonderful adventure, like: if I can have everything I like what would I want? :LOL:
All practical and bureaucratic things can be solved, however complicated.
For example, when I imagine where I could move I think of the Canary Islands, yes they are in Africa but it is within the European community with all that it entails in terms of services.
There is the sea, there are cities or towns, different islands to choose from and a constant climate. There are also volcanoes…
It's just to give you an idea of how I would do it :)

Froud

Warrior Monk from Brussels
I am from a tiny village in Belgium, I live in Brussels since 2007. It is alright but grass might be greener elsewhere :)
The Island of Vancouver might be a good match to me. If not, Great Britain seaside, or Brittany or Normandy. I need a good rain ratio and lower temperatures.

JCU

Scout from WNY
Pronouns: She/Her
My parents absolutely adored Scotland and have talked of moving there quite seriously. Likewise, my brother has spoken similarly about Canada.

As an American from the United States, I would highly recommend a country with at least universal healthcare. (I would avoid the USA like it was more than metaphorically on fire.)

Scandinavia is supposed to have some of the happiest countries in the world.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
"Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today"
I had four great years in Switzerland and can recommend it. But I don't know how easy it is for non-Europeans to move there. It's part of Schengen, so you can at least stay there for 90 days without a visum.
I also liked the Netherlands a lot, but I only spend two years there. It's more openminded there, I felt. Compared to other countries I lived in. And cost of living is not as high as in Switzerland.

I also lived two years in the US, but wouldn't really recommend it. It's a great country, but imo it's good at killing European souls. I feel you have to be cut from a very special kind of wood to strive there.

So, my vote goes to the Netherlands.

Sólveig

Pirate from Cabudare - Venezuela
Pronouns: She/Her
"Ars longa, vita brevis"
I agree with @Fremen on this. First, you should ask yourself what is it that you're looking for, from where do you want to live to what kind of people, culture, or job are you aspiring to. In other words, what is it that your home country isn't offering you. Once you have an answer, then you can start looking for a new country, and measure the pros and cons.

I would advice you to avoid Venezuela like the plague, but if you are considering it, I can tell you it is easy to migrate here. I can say that the first obstacle might be the cost of living, but for foreigners can be very cheap since our currency is quite inflated, and if you have a good hustle that makes you a buck in other currency that isn't ours, it'll be quite a breeze. The biggest hurdle (other than the obvious ones like rundown services) is the staggering inequality that could make you quite obvious. As a foreigner, you can be an easy target for criminals and corrupt military and policemen alike, especially if you are of pale skin and blue eyes. Now, if you are someone who lives like a backpacker, and is always travelling, Venezuela might be the right place. There are a lot of places, both within and isolated from society, that makes it pretty great for someone who likes to travel a lot. It's mostly a warm place, but there are some cold places as well. A lot of mountains, jungles, islands, and deserts, with no volcanos.

If you are considering Latinamerica, Costa Rica and Uruguay are good places. I could include Argentina and Chile, but Argentina might be Venezuela-lite at this point, and Chile I've heard that crime is rising.

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
"Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being... it is up to all of us to become his moral superior. Vetinari/Pratchett"
Thanks for the summary on Venezuela @Sólveig and I hope it helped you blow off some steam as you don't seem to be a great fan of it.
Costa Rica and Uruguay are definitely worth considering.

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
Hi all.

I haven't had time to thank you all due to recent tragic events.
I will re-read your comments and reply of course.
I started looking into this more seriously and was advised to focus on getting into the EU via temporary residentship and that the two best countries to try it through are Slovakia and Czechia.
Do any of you know anything about this?