Monastic Training

Set Monje

Warrior Monk from Florida
"Speak softly, and carry a big stick."
Long time no update (would have sworn I had a forum account, but couldn't seem to find it, so may as well start anew).
Did a keto diet in 2023, went from 240 to 180) but also cut out most non-walking exercises due to an impingement in my shoulder.
So, when I started doing more workouts this year my mass shot back up to 190.

Any who, been doing the Knight Training Plan with Mondays being day 1.
Been doing Dungeon Raid as the Workout, I splurged a bit an upgraded the bokken I've been swinging around for 23 years to an adjustable weight steel club.
On the rest days I do the Grip Training Workout, but using grip strengtheners on the clench / unclench (set the resistance to 40lbs, I think, they're a bit hard to read and dial in), and 20-pound dumbbells for the holds (which is exhausting), and trying the optional dead hangs, but all I have is a doorframe pull-up bar, so it's a little short.
Also figured I'd throw in 1000 Calf Raise Challange, I'm going on vacation later this month, and figured that would be hotel room friendly enough.

Set Monje

Maxwell: I originally got one because I kept hearing that hang from in with half-dead weight would help my shoulder impingement; 50/50 of that worked or not
aku-chan: Ahoy-hoy. Second time Soul Eater has come up this week for me, unexpected.
Fremen: Thank you. Trying to remember my Dune and if the Fremen had a word for hello, but I'm drawing a blank.
MadamMeow: Pleasure to meet you too.

Let's see, tried the Workout of the day (Tempered Steel) while at work, did level 1 with EC.
Also got my calf-raise holds in for the Challenge while at work.
Did Dungeon Raid as my Training Plan called for, think that and the WotD combined has left my arm joints sorer then I expected, but it is what it is.

Also filled out my profile a bit more while at work, figured if I was swing around a club as my workout going with an Oni with an iron club was thematic.
50/50 if I like my banner, might play with that a bit more later.

Set Monje

Anek: Good evening, and thanks.

Did the 35 calf-raises for the challenge, then the 30-second squat hold for the Exercise of the Day.
Active Rest Day, so Grip Training with EC.
Debating tossing something else in on these days, currently musing over 1-Min Plank, Santa, or Pillow Fight.

Set Monje

Played around a bit after working out last night, figured out I can do 2 pull ups with a neutral grip, and none for every other type of grip, so good to know.
Also put all 18.7kg on the steel mace to see how it felt, the cross chops felts smoother actually, but the vertical cops were quite rougher (and also, I had to sit on the floor so I wouldn't destroy a ceiling fan in the process).

Did the exercise of the day and the calf raise challenge while at work (did 60 twists instead of 30 because was too groggy to remember how to count, but still awake enough to drive apparently).
Had to break up the Dungeon Raid workout due to life getting in the way but still completed.
Also decided to just stick to the current routine for next week, make any changes after my vacation.

Set Monje

Woke up, went for a walk, 1hr57m11s, 11,878 steps, 5.24mi (8.43km).
Showered, then did the 40 calf-rises for the challenge between meandering realizing I have nothing but a bag of pork rinds for breakfast/lunch/snack time.
And all between 7am and 10am.
Think I'll take the rest of today slow, tomorrow I want do at least walk 4k, with jogging 1k (probably broken up into .25 chucks because that's easy to mentally map on my route and a more realistic goal.

Back