A Star to Steer By

Maxwell

from USA
"“For my part, I know nothing with any certainty but the sight of the stars makes me dream.” – Vincent Van Gogh"
A commitment to myself...
I started Foundation today. After lurking off and on for over a year, I finally did something. None of the regular excuses- and there are many- now apply.
It's either improve my physical health or begin losing even more mobility or worse. I'm late 50's with some joint issues usually associated with someone a little older than myself, and need to loose at least 40 pounds. I'm posting the scale regularly to help account for effort.

Diet is no longer an excuse. I am an accomplished cook. I can cook a variety of healthy meals. I can easily calculate the nutrition of anything I make and portion it for meal prep days. I And yet...
Time is no longer an excuse. I have a 45 hour job and a relatively short commute. Single, live alone, few other time commitments.
Money is no longer an excuse. I have a floor and 4 walls and my body and an exercise mat.
Mood (depressed) is no longer an excuse. I've used and over-used that one for far, far too long.
"This whole thing will be a waste of time" is no longer an excuse. What the hell am I scared of?
Living, probably.

Attachments

• weight 1.jpg
    weight 1.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 0

Maxwell

from USA
"“For my part, I know nothing with any certainty but the sight of the stars makes me dream.” – Vincent Van Gogh"
Week 1 is done. My form needs a lot of improvement, but right now, some movement is better than no movement. I'm also very careful with my knees. I can't do lunges or reverse lunges. I do step ups and chair squats instead. Eventually, I will add a specific program for lower body.
I'm 1.6 pounds down. My goal is 1-1.5 pounds loss per week.

This seems to be a welcoming, supportive place. I'm glad of that!

Attachments

• weight 2.jpg
    weight 2.jpg
    489.1 KB · Views: 1

Maxwell

from USA
Two weeks already gone.
Weight is down.
This second week, I have not been able to do every single exercise in the Foundation program. Because of bad joint inflammation and pain in my left hand, I can't do any exercises right now that require my hand flat on the floor, supporting my weight.

NO EXCUSES
is my premise this month, therefore I substitute. At Foundation Day 12, which was impossible for me to complete, I instead did a cardio from a previous day that didn't require the support of my hands.

I'm not quite ready to add any other workouts. Still gaining momentum and letting joints heal. I am squashing my denial and reluctantly seeking a rheumatologist. No excuses there either as I have fairly decent health insurance for the first time in my life.

Wishing a good week to all of you Bees. Especially you New-Bees!

Attachments

• 20240814_064307.jpg
    20240814_064307.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 0

Maxwell

from USA
Week 3 is done, again with some modifications. Weight is down another 1.6.
My diet is a range between 1800 - 2200 calories, with average macros at 50% carbs, 25% protein and 25% fat. I cannot eat a lot of animal protein due to the joint issues. Along with more plant protein comes more carbs.

Oh well. No diet plan works for everyone, and it's up to you to find what works best for yourself. I try not to stress too much over exact numbers of calories and macros, as they're rarely perfect. I try to eat more mindfully. I limit eating out but I know that I will splurge on a burger or fish and chips occasionally.

Joints are not as sore but still not doing any exercises that require my hands flat on the floor. A couple of days I substituted cardio for the strength exercise for that day. The programs make it easy to change things around.

I hope you Bees stay motivated this week!

Attachments

• weight 4.jpg
    weight 4.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Maxwell

from USA
Well, that's that. My first Darebee program ever, Foundation at level 1, done!
Some days, I was surprised at the challenge. Some days, it was easy. Some days, it was the last thing I wanted to do.
I've lost 4.6 pounds and gained a little self confidence. And I'm getting a tiny bit more limber. Still need to improve my form.

Resting tomorrow. September 1st, I'm starting 30 days of LIIT. I want to add a strength workout every other day, possibly alternating upper and lower body. Not sure exactly what that will be, other than it will be at beginner level.

I haven't been on the forum much between posts. I'm still figuring out things. I don't feel like I have a lot to contribute at this point. Although I've enjoyed reading what others are doing.

Wishing everyone a nice weekend.

Attachments

• weight 5.jpg
    weight 5.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 0

Maxwell

from USA
Week 1 of 30 Days of LIIT done.
I didn't loose any weight this week but didn't gain any, and I'm not going to stress over that. I need to do better with my diet. I haven't skipped any days on the previous or current programs. I need to do better with meal prep. It's not like I'm new to that.

Starting Weight: 233.8 Current Weight: 229.2.
Days on Darebee: 37.
Current Program & Workouts:
30 Days Of LIIT at Level 2.
Odd Days Lower Body: Daily Legs Workout or Landslide Workout or Knee Rehab Workout at level 2.
Even Days Upper Body: Chest & Shoulders Light or Eye Of The Tiger Workout or Back & Core Workout Level 2.

I've been exercising before dinner, as mornings are a high-stress time of day. I quickly discovered that trying to squeeze in something before work was not helping me mentally. Evening are much better in that regard.

Have a good week, everybee!

Maxwell

from USA
It's been a routine kind week.
I am somewhat waiting around for some changes at work and trying not to think too much about the outcome. I'm not in danger of losing my job, at least.
Saturday, I took a rest day, whereas before, I had not missed a day exercising. I think I overdid it the day before, between moving heavy objects around at work and the leg exercises I did Friday night.

In any case, I have upped my level to 3, using the same workouts as last week. I will stick with those until next month, then try some HIIT.
Starting Weight: 233.8 Current Weight: 228.6.
Days on Darebee: 45.

A good week to all!