DAREBEE Recipes

As you know, we had to retire two sections: mealplans and recipes from DAREBEE a couple of years ago due to rising costs. Although we still can't afford to run the nutrition section (we don't have a full-time dietitian at DAREBEE anymore), we are bringing our recipes back via a sister website: DAREBEETS (darebeets.com). We began building it a few months ago and have just worked out the general shape of things. The website is live and working as of today but we are not advertising it just yet. There are still things we need to do and recipes to add but we would like everyone who is interested in the recipes to take a look and post your feedback :happy:

How are we doing so far?

Currently there are only 3 people involved in this project. Myself (@neilarey), Emma and David. We are working slowly in between other commitments but it's beginning to take shape. The DAREBEETS website is essentially the recipe extension of DAREBEE and is going to have exactly the same setup (no ads, no popups, no sponsorships etc). We separated the two to keep DAREBEE purely exercise-centered (and also we don't know if we will be able to do mealplans, right now that's a no).

Please let us know what you think. Thank you :please:

- Neila

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
:heartsit:

:approve:

I like the filter options. Especially Type and Cooking Time. (For me, the total time to table--cooking + prep--is what matters. Which it looks like is how you classified the recipes so far. But on the recipes themselves you break the time down into prep v. cooking, yet on the filter the total time is called "Cooking Time." Which could cause some confusion.) Also: maybe a "Make Ahead" choice under Time would be helpful (for things like Chia Pudding which, sure are super fast w.r.t. work time involved, but if you don't do that work the night before you're SOL.)

So happy to see this coming back! I have learned some great new recipes from DAREBEE! (Just ate DAREBEE black bean brownies for my breakfast today, in fact.)

:eatall::chicken:

:tu:

Last edited:

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
Also (this is not related specifically to the new site, since your recipes have always been like this, but I just want to say):

I LOVE how DAREBEE recipes cut to the chase.

The trend on recipe web sites these days seems to be to preface every recipe with an epic tome re: whose mother's grandfather's sister-in-law's cousin thrice removed taught the author the recipe, how this author modified it to make it oh-so-much-easier-to-make-while-still-honouring-the-recipe's-cultural-origins, and just how picky the picky-eater children of the author are who nevertheless still love this recipe in spite of apparently not loving eating anything else at all ever. It can be challenging sometimes to locate the tiny little "jump to recipe" link in amongst all of that verbiage (not to mention all of the product placement ads and sponsored links). Even on recipe pages I have visited many times before, I still frequently find myself frustrated by how much time it takes me to find the actual freaking recipe.

I very much appreciate DAREBEETS' simple layout, clear, concise instructions, and helpful photographs.

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
Thank you ever so much for the wonderful and detailed feedback @Laura Rainbow Dragon :happy: We really appreciate it!

We are also really tired of the cluttered recipe websites online :mad: That's why we organized DAREBEETS the way we did! We want a clean and to-the-point place where things are easy to find and everything is clear at a glance. We will definitely work more on the filter and search options in general!

Thank you for your suggestions :happy:

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
Hi @PetiteSheWolf and thank you for the feedback :happy: We'll definitely add gluten-free filter option and all of the recipes will be lactose-free by default.
"Cruciferous-free" is a bit too specialized... buuuut I don't see why not :LOL:
Ha ha, I recognise it is very peculiar, but for me it's related to my anticoagulant treatment (I have to avoid foods that are very rich in vitamine K, i.e. cruciferous, offalls, green tea), so always on the forefront of chosing my meal. And in vegetarian recipes, avoiding all the cabbage / brussel sprouts / cauliflowers / broccoli indeed puts aside some nice dishes. I miss a good choucroute / sauerkraut! (But such is life, LOL), or the indian cauliflower / potatoes curry. Gluten-free will touch more people.

Last edited:

Flourish

Valkyrie Pronouns: She/Her
I have a bunch of Darebee's old recipes saved, so this made my day! 😍 The pictures look so yummy, my mouth is watering.

As for the filter, I would add options for the "equipment": microwave, oven, pan... Maybe that's too much to ask, but I think it could be useful for people who don't own a full kitchen.

OJJJEM

Mother of Dragons Posts: 585
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Comedy Central No GIF by Alternatino with Arturo Castro

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
Hi @PetiteSheWolf and thank you for the feedback :happy: We'll definitely add gluten-free filter option and all of the recipes will be lactose-free by default.
"Cruciferous-free" is a bit too specialized... buuuut I don't see why not :LOL:
Aaaah, just saw the buckweat flatbread recipe... Can I say I LOVE you ? with a pure, gluten-free, French-food-lover love?! :noming::sweet:

ETA : and a gluten-free filter?! Oh my my my!

Nitrous828

Jedi from United States
"May The Force Be With You!"
As you know, we had to retire two sections: mealplans and recipes from DAREBEE a couple of years ago due to rising costs. Although we still can't afford to run the nutrition section (we don't have a full-time dietitian at DAREBEE anymore), we are bringing our recipes back via a sister website: DAREBEETS (darebeets.com). We began building it a few months ago and have just worked out the general shape of things. The website is live and working as of today but we are not advertising it just yet. There are still things we need to do and recipes to add but we would like everyone who is interested in the recipes to take a look and post your feedback :happy:

How are we doing so far?

Currently there are only 3 people involved in this project. Myself (@neilarey), Emma and David. We are working slowly in between other commitments but it's beginning to take shape. The DAREBEETS website is essentially the recipe extension of DAREBEE and is going to have exactly the same setup (no ads, no popups, no sponsorships etc). We separated the two to keep DAREBEE purely exercise-centered (and also we don't know if we will be able to do mealplans, right now that's a no).

Please let us know what you think. Thank you :please:

- Neila
love it! but I noticed that some of the best recipes are missing, I hope that you guys are still working on adding them back... 2 of my favorites were the banana-chocolate Ice cream and the parsley baked falafel!

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
I made the chickpea curry and can't wait to eat a full bowl of it. I tasted it and it's great! you guys are the best!

Wish this recipe makes it's way back to the site by the way :D it's one of my favs and i've made it multiple times in the past!
I am sort of planning to cook it for my parents in a few weeks :)

Elocin

Honeybee from France
"J’ai décidé d’être heureux parce que c’est bon pour la santé - Voltaire"
Could be an error in the recipe
QUINOA WALNUT BURGERS, ground walnuts in the list and ground flaxseed photo 1?:gotq:

clatragna

I have a pile of vegan cookbooks and I've not come across that method of pressing the tofu as it's cooking. That seems far better the normal pressing process. Also, in general I like that you have simpler recipes - yogurt mixed with berries and protein poweder and topped with cocount. That may be my dessert tonight.

And I agree with the previous comments, too - nice, simple, and clean design.

Syrius

Valkyrie from The Sonoran Desert
Pronouns: she/her
"Energy and persistence conquers all things. -Benjamin Franklin"
Tried the zucchini nuggies and they were amazing. Also tried the cucumber radish salad, but I don't think I like apple cider vinegar, so I'm going to try it again without it. The recipes all look amazing and I am look forward to trying out a few more of them!

OJJJEM

Mother of Dragons Posts: 585
Also tried the cucumber radish salad, but I don't think I like apple cider vinegar, so I'm going to try it again without it.

As @Saffity mentioned, rice vinegar is often used as a best substitute for recipes that call for apple cider vinegar. When it comes to cucumber radish salad, however, white wine vinegar is a common go-to in recipes. Apple cider vinegar is often used to replace other vinegars, despites the strong smell and flavor, for gut health purposes... Its benefits far outweigh the benefits of other vinegars in matters such as helping with blood sugars, and appetite suppression, as well as not turning your gut into a yeast factory. For many, it's an acquired taste that you need to slowly acclimate yourself to.
Different vinegars have varying benefits, however. It might be fun to do a little research and flavor combining some time. :LOL: